DoubleTree Fallsview Resort & Spa by Hilton - Niagara Falls
Ranked #9 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 22, 2011

Hotel was very nice. Our only issue was the walls were paper thin and we could hear everything in the next rooms at night! We finally couldn't take it anymore and called guest services. It helped but we couldn't get back to sleep and ended up leaving more tired than when we arrived. For that reason we were very disappointed and will not return.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank TeamOK67
DoubletreeNiagara, Manager at DoubleTree Fallsview Resort & Spa by Hilton - Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2011

Your feedback is appreciated, thank you for taking the time to post. Being a newer hotel, the hotel is built with the latest building and brand standards in our industry. The circumstances described are not typical. We will look further into your specific room number and see if something unique has occurred. We would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in Doubletree.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,370)

Reviewed February 13, 2011

The doubletree hotel will be our hotel whenever we stay in nf.The hotel is very clean and comfortable.The staff is very helpful and the parking rate is not a ripoff like the highrise hotels in nf.The only area they can improve is their food service.Our family will try some of the local restaurants instead.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank lappy97
Reviewed February 13, 2011

This was my second time staying at the doubletree. The hotel is exceptionally clean, comfortable, and modern. The front desk staff were accomodating and extremely helpful, as were all other staff that we interacted with. The cookies at check-in were delicious. Extra pillows/towels were provided upon request at the time I booked and were in the room at check-in. A fridge is provided which I alway appreciate as I like to bring my own drinks when I travel. While the location isn't as convenient as a number of other hotels in the falls, it is fairly cental if you want to go to the old casino/clifton hill, or the new casino and the falls. The only drawback, which prevents me from booking here every time I stay in the falls, is the $12 parking charge. It seems unreasonable to me, as many hotels offer free parking and I think it is simply a way to take advantage of the fact the hotel is not close enough to either casino to park there free and walk over, as many alternate hotels are. Regardless, it was a great stay and I will most likely be back in the future and I would recommend the doubletree chain to all travellers.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sdothbc
DTNiagara, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree Fallsview Resort & Spa by Hilton - Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2011

Thank you for staying with us and your faith in Doubletree. Your comments are appreciated. Please note, the hotels in our area do charge for parking. The fee is actually higher at our sister hotels, at $12 we believe to be amongst the lowest price for self parking. Most guests appreciate the convenience of self parking. Parking at the Fallsview Casino is also not complimentary, the amount varies and usually highest on Saturdays. If you gamble a certain amount, then parking is free. The parking fee originates from the extremely high land values in the area, higher than even urban areas like Toronto. We look forward to welcoming you back. P.S. on your return visit, you will notice we have upgraded to 37" LCD televisions.

Reviewed January 31, 2011

We stayed here because the winter rate was good for a 4-star ($89/night) and some of the hotels in Niagara Falls below that price range can be scary.

To begin with, the front desk staff were surly: one in particular was snappish to everyone ahead of us, and then to us. When we arrived at 2:30 pm, we were told our room was not ready, but we could pay $10 to upgrade to a fallsview room, which were ready. We declined and asked to store our luggage until we could check in, at which point a room on our floor suddenly became available. My thought was: if your hotel is 3/4 empty in January and 4 people are coming to spend hundreds of dollars at your spa and restaurants, and your cleaning staff STILL can't get through their cleaning in a reasonable time when the hotel is underbooked, then comp the $10 upgrade. Geez!

The positive points: the lobby decor (with stone fireplace), the pool area (with Frank Lloyd Wright-style windows), and the sauna are very nice. The rooms are clean and the beds very comfortable.

The spa was TERRIBLE!! We arrived 20 minutes early as instructed, only to have the receptionist ask us (not nicely) why we were there so early. We filled out a 5-minute questionnaire and then were left in a tiny room that seats 6 people for half an hour. There were 11 women coming or going, so six were standing in the hallway outside the room - not so relaxing after a treatment. My $120 85-minute facial started 15 minutes late and ended 65 minutes into it. About half that time was spent massaging my hands and feet and wrapping me in hot towels and then leaving me there to "relax" for 15 minutes (I can do that at home). Some product was slapped on my face in between and the "extraction" consisted of precicely three little squeezes. I was dumbfounded.

The Aveda tea in the bodum in the tiny spa waiting room was stone cold. So I thought I'd try a teabag, of which they had an assortment, with water from the hot-and-cold water dispenser. Both hot and cold taps ran room-temperature. So not even a tea at the end.

When I mentioned that my treatment was 20 minutes short and their tea station had no hot water (evidently no one had looked at it in over an hour because it was the same before and after my treatment), the receiptionist had absolutely nothing to say. Just held out her hand for my credit card.

To top it all off we were charged $13 to park in an outdoor, unplowed and unsecured parking lot. (There is a $5 parking lot across the road.) It's a bit of a hike to Clifton Hill and the Falls (15 minutes each way).

Won't go back! We'll stay at a dodgy motel next time for half the price where at least they don't pretend they have good "service".

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
DTNiagara, General Manager at DoubleTree Fallsview Resort & Spa by Hilton - Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2011

Thank you for your candid feedback both postiive and negative. Your comments are appreciated. Please note, the hotel has run almost full occupancy every weekend in January and it would not be the case that the hotel was 3/4 empty. In fact, it is difficult to clear snow 100% in the parking lot as a result of vehicles always in the lot, and we can assure you we do clean the parking lot continuously. Parking at $12 daily, is amongst the lowest in the Fallsview area. The parking lot you referenced, does not permit overnight parking, nor does it have the traffic to feel comfortable to leave a vehicle for extended time periods versus a more active location like a hotel. We apologize for your experience in the spa. What was described is not typical and we can certainly appreciate your position. Please feel free to contact the Spa Manager - Jennifer at the spa to address it further. We value your business and would like the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Reviewed January 20, 2011

We stayed over New Years eve at this hotel as I have used the spa before and loved the look of the lobby and pool area. So we decided to stay there over New Year's eve. As Hilton Honors gold members we were hoping for a room upgrade but being New Year's eve we didn't as the hotel was sold out. We did get comlementary cold buffet breakfast coupons. The woman who checked us in was indifferent to our stay which start our stay on a positive note either.

The lobby is beautiful but the rooms are small and plain. View on the 15th floor was just okay. Could see the top of the US falls. Old style TV was surprising, no safe and no mini bar which for a hotel like this I would expect these simple things. We could hear people in the hallway both nights. We couldn't get the room thermostat to work very well either and the room was really hot the entire stay after we completely turned off the heat and opened the fresh air vent. Bathroom not cleaned very well either!

The breakfast was just okay. We got a coupon for the cold buffet and we could upgrade for $7 more. Strange and seemed a little cheep for me. Again, sure doesn't encourage me to return!

I prefer the Hilton rooms, even in the older wing. My favourite view in Niagara Falls is from the Embassy Suites.

Price is good but I will gladly pay a little more to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
DTNiagara, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree Fallsview Resort & Spa by Hilton - Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2011

Thank you for providing your feedback. We are disappointed to learn of the impression we made, it was never our intent. We hope the following update might restore your faith in Doubletree. The hotel has purchased 37" flat screen televisions for all guestrooms and suites and will begin installing in two phases, with the first phase in early February. Our current televisions are only six years old, but as you stated - it's now "old style". We will be the first of the Hilton properties in Niagara to offer flat screen televisions in all rooms. Guest use safe deposit boxes are located in the reception area, with access to the safe deposit room upon request at the front desk. In-room safes is not a common amenity where length of stay is so short. As you would have noticed, all our guestrooms offer an in-room fridge, but as you noted, it is not stocked. We did stock them at one time, but now a days, folks seem to simply want to use a fridge to place their own food/beverage items versus paying the high cost associated with mini-bars. Unfortunately, not knowing your room number we can not act on the two housekeeping issues as this point, but will discuss with the team. As you experienced, the HHonors comp breakfast program with Doubletree is a continental breakfast and for system wide consistency, we do follow the program outline and do not tend to deviate. If given the opportunity, we hope welcome you back.

Reviewed January 6, 2011

We stayed at this great hotel right after Christmas for a couple of days and had a wonderful stay. My family very much enjoyed the pool area, the room itself and the very trendy like check-in area. Pretty good all you can eat breakfast as well as a fairly central location to both the falls area and Clifton Hill!!! No complaints here.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank gtown15
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Just fresh off a stay from last Thursday to Sunday (New Years Weekend) at the Double Tree Fallsview. Came in from a flight from Ottawa with a stopover in Toronto and then a drive from there. Decent location in the heart of the city and was happy to be informed my room was ready two hours before checkin.

But was it really ready? A shower was one of the first things I needed and the bathtub drain was tricky to pry from its semi-open state and seeing the pooled the water in the tub there was a bunch of nasty scum and hair left from before (maybe originated from the underside of the drain).

Also, since the New Years Eve rate was a premium priced rate, I was hoping the room would be commensurate in quality. Not bad, but overall though just no frills, no mini-bar or anything special. Not even any mouthwash, though I was brought up some toothpaste/toothbrush when I requested it.

I must say I did really like the buffet breakfast at Buchanan's restaurant inside the hotel. The breakfast there is more about quality than quantity, which I appreciate.

The spa experience was indifferent as the massage therapist spent too much time talking during the entire massage, which I felt detracted from the quality of the treatment. This was important because the spa is actually one of the reasons I chose this hotel. The pool was ok, but the hot tub a little small and full of kids who could have been peeing and no way to enforce. The weightroom/gym itself was adequate and had a neat stretching machine which impressed me as I have never encountered in any gym, and I have been to many. Overall, though not a huge selection of equipment, but for a hotel gym not too bad.

Noise wise, I did on a couple occasions hear voices from I think the room above, but nothing too bad, as it seems mostly families, as opposed to party animals, stay at this hotel.

Overall, I would say my general impression was mixed with a small amount of dissapointment.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo