DoubleTree Fallsview Resort & Spa by Hilton - Niagara Falls
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Niagara nightmare”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

My husband and I where expecting a different rm when we arrived as frequent visitors to the falls we look forward to enjoying niagara there are some things you should be aware of before you book this hotel
1) the hotel is not in the popular area of niagara if you want to visit the falls it is a long walk or a drive

2) if you book a room with a whirl pool tub management or Hilton may change your reservation and not inform you

3) our room was clearly not clean with the last guest hair everywhere ( after getting nowhere explaining that they put me in the wrong room I figured it was hopeless to explain that no one cleaned the room before we got there)

4) for the money you are spending to stay here you would expect a soft bed and sheets don't the bed is horrible and the sheets corse like a hospital sheets

5) there are limited elevators you could be waiting for quite a while to get to your room

6) I would never reccomend this hotel !!!!!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Alexandria L
DTFallsview, Manager at DoubleTree Fallsview Resort & Spa by Hilton - Niagara Falls, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
I am so sorry that you were not able to enjoy the hotel as it is always our intent to create a warm and relaxing experience for all of our guests. It appears we have fallen short of our goal and I do apologize for any shortcomings. I can hopefully clear up one of your issues which was with your original reservation. I have researched the reservation and found that you made the reservation online and we see a change was also made online 6 minutes later which changed the room type. When any entries are made the system automatically records the information and when you made the change 6 minutes later it affected the room type and therefore we were unable to give you the orginal room at check in as it was sold out. We would have happily given you the original room that you had reserved if it was available. I did check with our Hilton head office to confirm any changes to the reservation and they were only able to see where you had inadvertantly changed it from a Jacuzzi suite to a King suite. Normally we would not have a problem changing a room. As far as the housekeeping issues we have someone here 24 hours a day to help our guests with any concerns and we would have taken care of your issues as soon as notified. We are here for our guests any time and I know that you were upset with the fact that we could not give you a jacuzzi suite as it was not a possibility at the time, however we never want to see our guests inconvenienced and although we tried to find alternatives for you we were just unable to correct your issues. I can assure you that nobody from Hilton or our team at the hotel changed any part of your initial reservation. The hotel is located on Fallsview Boulevard just 400 yards to the Casino, and a ten minute walk to the Falls and 10 minutes in the other direction to the area attractions. Although most people just leave their cars and walk to everything it is uphill coming back and can sometimes seem like a very long walk, especially after a long day of sightseeing. I am sorry you feel as though the hotel has failed you as I would love for you to be able to come back some day and enjoy the hotel as so many others have. If you should choose to return please contact the hotel and ask for the Manager on Duty. We have notes on your file and would be happy to assist you and help make your next visit an enjoyable one.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed at this hotel a few times over the years even though it is in the more run down part of Fallsview Blvd. The first time we were pleased but the last time we were there we were a little dissatisfied as it took some time to clarify some erroneous charges upon check out, but we decided to stay here again as we are HiltonHonors members. Check in was disorganised and impersonal. The man curtly asked for my driving licence and credit card, told me to write my license plate number and sign and initial at various places on the print out and while I was trying to read and write down everything I was supposed to, he kept talking and giving me the room card etc. I felt rushed. Also, he kept leaving us to go and tend to other staff and customers. Back and forth…. no personalised attention whatsoever. We spent one night at the hotel and definitely would have asked to change room if we were staying longer. We didn't spend a lot of time in the room, only to sleep and get ready early the next morning so the problem of the vomit smell could only be reported upon check out. The day we checked in, it was late afternoon and we noticed the smell of disinfectant spray in the room but quickly dropped off our bags and went out until late in the evening. When we returned at around 11pm the room no longer smelled of disinfectant but we did notice the vomit smell when we approached the fridge area between the room door and the bathroom door. It was late and we quickly went to bed as the smell did not reach the sleeping area. By the next morning, the smell was unbearable by the fridge area. The coffee machine and snacks were in that area and it make our stomachs turn just to be there so we had to go downstairs to Starbucks and pay for our coffee. As we knew we were checking out early, we quickly got ready and vacated the room. We were not asked upon check out if we enjoyed our stay so I mentioned the issue to the young girl at the counter but she just smiled and asked if we had reported the problem. I said we did not have the opportunity as we were leaving now and I was bringing it to their attention now. She just said thank you for letting them know but did not apologise or make any effort to rectify things or discuss it with her superior. So we didn't pursue the matter and resolved then and there never to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 1114, it may still smell of vomit.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

While my room was four stars, the overall experience I had at this place was more like two. A few points:

PARKING:
They charge for it, which is a total cash grab. This place isn't exactly in a lucrative part of Niagara Falls, and for $12 a day, what a rip off.

BREAKFAST:
You don't get one, unless you PAY. If a Holiday Inn Express will feed me for free (and a good breakfast at that), why can't these guys?

THE VIEW:
Unless you're on one of the top three floors, you won't see much of the falls. I was on the 14th floor and could barely see anything. Also, this place is pushed further back from the falls, so even if you can see them, you won't see much. Take a look at the guest photos for an idea of what you're getting.

LOBBY:
Nice lobby, and unlimited free cookies at the front desk. A nice benefit I guess.

THE ROOM:
Modern, clean, and spacious. Beds are ultra comfy and the bathroom is very nice.

OVERALL:
I'm glad I used hotwire to book a room here, I wouldn't want to pay full price for this "4 star property." There are much nicer 4 star places closer to the falls.

Room Tip: Your view will suck no matter what, just don't pay extra for a fallsview room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Ontario_Guy80
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

In walking distance of a lot of the attractions. Very cheap cab ride if you need one from there. The pool is nice. The view from our room was pretty cool The spa is a bit pricey. They have a coffee bar you can get a Starbucks.

• Stayed August 2012
Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

Too long a walk from the falls, walls so thin I heard the person next door snoring, shortage of coffe supplies, even for a quick early morning coffee, lack of information about the attractions in the area, and lack of information about what is available in the hotel.
Have decided that chain is simply cutting corners to reduce costs.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room you will be staying in before agreeing to upgrade to a Fallsview room.
Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ebutToronto
Milton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

We enjoyed the Double Tree so much in! The resort has great facilities! Our room was on the 11th floor with great view of the falls! The pool and jacuzzi are pleasant. Fantastic location within good walking distance to all attractions. Will definitely stay again!!

Room Tip: All rooms face the falls view depending on the floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

Only stayed here for a couple of nights and a friend of ours had booked it. We had a 'falls view' room and you can see the falls ok but it's no cinematic experience. The hotel is very far away from the town and it's a killer walk from the riverside uphill, but then again that avoids the noise from the main hub of Niagara so it depends what you're after. It's reasonably decorated and the staff are OK. The pool is a bit crap - crowded, small (for the size of the hotel) and oddly shaped, but at least there is one. The rooms are large and fully equipped - couldn't really complain about them at all. I'm no expert on American chains but the feel of it felt pretty typical. Didn't try the restaurant, only breakfast, which was fine. All in all a middle of the road hotel with an out of the way location but clean and nice rooms.

Room Tip: If you're on a budget, don't bother pushing it further for a falls view room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family