“Privacy Is Their Last Priority”

Americas Best Value Inn - Chalet Inn and Suites
Ranked #42 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Toronto
“Privacy Is Their Last Priority”
Reviewed August 6, 2006

I knew this place was going to be a problem when I pulled in to the parking lot to check in. There is no drop off place, so I quickly parked in the handicap spot, only to have a mustached man wag his finger at me. What am I five years old? I told him I would move it as soon as I checked in. While checking in my cell phone rang and I spoke with the friends I was meeting, the mustache man heard this conversation and told me it would be another 10 dollars for the additional car. I don’t really mind paying the fee, but come on, why are listening to my conversation?

That night my friends and I bought some beers and my boyfriend and I headed down to the ice machine to keep our drinks cold. We each carried a plastic bag as well as the hotels bucket. On the ice machine it says “please don’t take more than a buckets worth” and I laughed at the sign. At that moment mustache man appears from nowhere! He seriously must have followed us from some dark corner and told us to “read the sign” and that if we wanted any more ice we would have to buy a bag!

That night the fire alarm went off at around 3 in the morning and did not stop for over an hour. Why this happened I do not know. The hotel staff offered no explanation and didn’t even apologize for the incident. The next morning, the continental “breakfast” was nothing more than weak coffee, obviously watered down juice, and little doughnuts and muffins which were hardly filling.

The room itself had virtually none of the normal amenities. There was no “do not disturb” sign and no alarm clock. The towels provided were the bare minimum and the toilet paper was so bad I considered buying a role so as not to subject myself to something so scratchy. Also, there was but a single garbage can in the room. Because there was no alarm clock, I asked for a wakeup call, which came a full half an hour late.

Overall I would say that my experience went beyond unpleasant. I don’t like being followed around and chastised by people for trying to get some ice for the room. I definitely don’t like being woken up at 3 in the morning either. The good location is not worth staying at this place and I thought it was also overpriced on top of everything else.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The lack of privacy
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank Laurenthecorruptress

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
New York
Reviewed July 4, 2006

July 5,2006
I just arrived home after taking my grandson to The Falls in Canada. Prior to the trip I used Trip Advisor for my questions and reviews. It was a wonderful service.
Even though some of the reviews on this hotel weren't exactly raves,I did find the American Suites & Chalet pleasant. They saw me using my walker and offered a room on the first floor. The room was very, very clean and kept so throughout our stay. The outdoor pool was warmer than the inside one. But,they have no pool lifeguards. I agree with other reviewers that their continental breakfast left much to be desired (only used it once). It was down 3 flights of stairs in another building. The hotel isn't Handicap friendly. No ramps of any kind. Fortunately I can maneuver a couple of steps most of the time. It was hard for me to get to the brealfast which consisted of small muffins,a pastry or 2 and coffee and juice.
I got a Great Gorge Adventure Pass at my local AAA. Nice discount and all day use of their
People Mover which takes you to most of the attractions (Maid Of The Mist,Whitewater Walk,Walk behind the Falls,and the Butterfly Conservatory). "Michael" decided he wants to move to Ontario (he's 12). The area is beautiful. The Whirlpool Jet Boat ride is really for thrill-seekers. Michael was impressed. (I'll pass the next time, it's rough). The restaurants are expensive, but don't miss the Rainforest Cafe,great for adults and Kids. Wonderful trip. Your reviews really made the vacation fun and friendly! Thanks, Irish.

4 Thank irish201
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 16, 2005

To start with, this is a family owned establishment. And not a friendly family at that. The check-in process is ridiculous since they are so far behind in technology. My mother, myself and my younger brother were staying for just one night. During the check-in process the paper form you must fill out asked for adult guests and my mom put 2 (myself and her). The clerk gave us the room right next door to the office. As we were unpacking in our room we received a phone call from the office simply saying "there is an extra charge for the third individual in the room." My mother and I were confused. Although my brother was 17, we were under the impression that children stay free (as they do in most reputable hotels). The clerk was so incredibly rude from that point on! He charged us an extra $15 for my brother. And when I asked how he even knew about him, he confessed that he had his young son browse the parking lot to make sure we didn't have anyone hiding out in our car that we were not claiming as a guest in the room! From that point on, we felt like our every move was being watched.

My next point is the room itself. The amenities were disgraceful. There was no alarm clock. There was one single garbage can in the whole room. There were no toiletries, no kleenex, no hand towels, no "do not disturb" sign. When we pulled up to the place, our room was wide open - the door wasn't even closed!!!

Now let's talk about the noise. The walls in this place are paper thin!!! You can hear every thing from every direction - word for word. And since we were put in the room next door to the office, you can imagine the amount of sleep we got!

As the other reviews have mentioned, the continental breakfast was shameful. Coffee, watered-down juice, mini-muffins, and powdered donuts and if you tried to leave with anything to take it back to your room, you were bawked at by a 13 year old boy!!!

Probably because of the lack of the technology and amenities (specifically the "do not disturb" sign), the maid walked right into our room at 10:00 in the morning (2 hours before checkout). She didn't knock or anything. It was no harm to us since we were all decent and just watching TV, but could you imagine if you had just stepped out of the shower or something?

This was BY FAR the worst hotel I have ever stayed at and would never recommend even trying your luck with it. There are plenty of reputable hotels in the area that are in the same price range. I'm sure any other hotel would treat their guest as a guest and not a criminal trying to scam them out of some money! Do yourself a favor and book somewhere else!!!

• Stayed October 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, ON
Reviewed October 10, 2005

We stayed in the 4 bed family suite. There were 2 rooms. Ist room was like a usual motel room with 2 queens, a bathroom and a TV. There is a door that leads into a HUGE second room with 2 queens, a couch, fridge, tables and TV. A very large balcony connects the 2 rooms as well.

The rooms were very clean but lacked some usual amenities such as kleenex and shampoo. The lighting was very inadequate.

The staff was quite courtious and friendly. Note that they charge 50cents for local calls.

Breakfast consisted of teabiscuits, muffins, danishes, donuts and cinnamon buns as well as tea and coffee. Tea and coffee was also available 24 hours a day but not with milk.

Location was amazing. 2 minute walk to Casino Niagara and to the Clifton Hill area. You can leave your car at the motel and walk everywhere.

The indoor pool was quite large and looked quite nice. The outdoor pool was closed for the season and looked very small.

The motel cost was fairly low compared to the major chains but i should say that all boosted their prices this weekend as it was both a Canadian and US holiday. The 2 room suite was $200 first night and $160 the second night in Canadian dollars plus taxes.

I am not sure what ppl are looking for in a motel but if you want a clean room and a great location, and a good price, this is the place for you.

• Stayed October 2005
5 Thank RickCanadaToronto_ON
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 29, 2005

My husband and I went to Niagara Falls for the first time this past summer and we stayed at the Chalet Inn. We are regular travellers and have been to several hotels. At the Chalet we really enjoyed our stay moreso than several pother hotels. We we treated very nicely by the wonderful family and our rooms were beautiful (heart-shaped jacuzzi with a king size bed). The maids were also very friendly. The continental breakfast in the morning was a very nice touch as well. I would recommend this hotel to anyone (especially couples!).

• Stayed July 2005