“Horrible stay on Aug 10,2013”

Chalet Inn & Suites Near the Falls
Ranked #44 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I will describe as to how unprofessional and disrespectful me and my husband were treated by a receptionist, Tomiko, John Beverly, an older guy with white hair and the owner, Mr D'Amico.
We asked for a non-smoking room and were given one, which we paid for 138.54 by credit card. (The room #401 in new building). We moved in that room and laid out all our stuff. We, then, left and came back at 2 am. Receptionist was waiting for us and advised that the room was already booked prior and that he moved our belongings to a different room. After 45 min of wasted sleep, much unnecessary arguments and to smooth the situation , I got him to refund the money (which he did via cash).
We came into a new room , 111, to realize that it completed covered with cigarette smoke. There was no air to breath. By that time, it was already 3 am. My husband ended up looking for a different motel unil 3:30 with no luck. We opened window and put AC max on to have some air . All our stuff, clothes, hair were covered with cigaret smell.
We fell alep only because we're very tired as we cycled 130 km that day.
The next thing we know is that the same receptionist came INSIDE our room at 7:30 AM demanding to pay for the room. Believe me he came inside. We demanded for him to leave immediately, he did. When we came to return the key at 7, the owner demanded to pay or he calls the police. The owner was finger pointing at my husband face and was very rude. the owner called the police. We waited another 15 min for the officer to come and another 45 min for the situation to be sorted out. What a waste of time!! Of course, the officer told them they had no business to enter a room once it was given out.
I m shocked as to how unprofessional, rude they have acted. I could never imaging staff to enter a room, grabbed someone else' belongings and move it elsewhere, not in Canada.

In this motel, yes, it happened.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Polina B

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed here for a few nights in July. The first night I was placed in the older run down section of the hotel. The room reeked of cigarette smoke and it was difficult for my teen daughter and I to even stay in the room. The next morning when I went to attend their breakfast which consisted of old stale banana and bran muffins and coffee from a dirty pot, I saw that the building was completely non-smoking on that side of the hotel. I went to ask the owner "Lorenzo" to be moved to a room in that part of the hotel and he said no, and became argumentative about the extreme smell of cigarette which by then had been absorbed into our clothes and belongings just by being in that room. He wanted to sit there and argue about it which I had no interest in participating in. The other workers were polite and professional, but he was rude, disrespectful, and aggressive with a simple request for a room that was in the non-smoking building. I would never stay here again and would give warning to anybody who has a problem with your room, bed, and belongings reeking of cigarette smell. They could have made a repeat customer just by moving me for the rest of the stay to the non smoking building which they for sure had rooms in by the looks of the parking lot only having a handful of cars in it. They also added a parking charge at check in that I saw no mention of and was not told about when I made the reservation. It is close to the Falls, but there are tons of hotels similar priced and professionally ran. I will not be returning!!!!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Yolo12345
chaletinn, Manager at Chalet Inn & Suites Near the Falls, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Out of 80 rooms we only have 10 which are smoking rooms, however, some people are ignorant and will smoke in a non-smoking room. The building which is completely non-smoking does not contain the same type of rooms as the other building, so we cannot just move rooms, the majority of rooms in that building are suites, either with just one bed and a Jacuzzi, or two room family suites, neither of which would be a suitable switch. Had you come to the office immediately after checking in to let us know there was a problem with your room we could have done something to rid the room of any supposed smoke smell.
The coffee is served from a machine, so there is no "dirty pot", and all our baked goods are delivered fresh on a near-daily basis.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend. The location is great and the Clifton Hill activities are just a block away.I thought it was a bit expensive but I guess location makes up for that. If you're looking for a hotel within walking distance to the falls and all Niagara activities then check it out.

Room Tip: If you go with friends or a large family you can ask for adjoining rooms which open into each other...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
chaletinn, Manager at Chalet Inn & Suites Near the Falls, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we appreciate it. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights July 21/13. Room was perfect for us a/c, flat screen television, free internet, a must for daughter to share pictures and a fridge in the room(some had a microwave). We found the beds comfortable and plenty of furniture. There is a smoking section of rooms, two pools(indoor/outdoor) and a continental breakfast included (coffee/pastries).We didn't try breakfast as we preferred Tim's and the atmosphere of Clifton hill. Reception lady is great, very friendly and helpful (computer station in lobby for guests) and housekeeping always done before we returned. For less than $100.00 per night (in season) including parking, in a safe quiet area one block from Clifton Hill it was perfect for us. Hoping to visit in September, Will be back!!!

2  Thank JustForFun65

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Family of 4 (including 15yo and 9yo) stayed here for 1 night on July 4th. You get what you pay for- a place to sleep near the falls. They had indoor and outdoor pools which we didn't have time for. We had tried to book a name-brand hotel on-line, but they all seemed to quadruple their rates for the holiday and/or were sold out. We actually picked this place after we got there (mid-afternoon) based on its location. Considering the holiday, their inflated rate ($139/nt) was also more reasonable and the parking lot was packed the next morning. The location was quiet, included parking and we could walk to the falls or use the WEGO bus with our Falls Adventurer pass. We spent little time at the hotel. The room was a dark, the bed was a bit too soft for me and the pillows were minimal, both in number and cushion. Overall, it reminded me of an older style motel, but it was safe and convenient. We found a great restaurant just down the street (Spicy Olive) with an excellent weekend "date night" special which fed our family of 4 (including a bottle of local wine). With the right expectations, this was an acceptable place to spend the night in Niagara Falls.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Not a bad hotel to stay in. Employees were very nice to us here, especially the girl at the front desk. I can't really go into details about this hotel because my friends and I only used this place for sleep and getting ready, don't want to give you guys a false impression of the place because we didn't really use a lot of their services. The big benefit of staying here is the location near all of the attractions which is a really good thing if you don't like to walk far or take transportation. The room we stayed in was very clean. Not a luxurious hotel, just a simple one. If you are looking for a place close by the Falls, this is for you. A little pricey for average, but I guess it has to be when you book on a weekend near a major attraction like Niagara Falls. Would've been really awesome if it was just a bit cheaper. Would certainty stay here again if I don't find a better paying job after college lol. :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
chaletinn, Manager at Chalet Inn & Suites Near the Falls, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we really appreciate it. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and your time in Niagara Falls.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

this place is very friendly and clean, owner and Secretary where soooo friendly and helped us where we needed to go, they were just so helpful. the inside pool was great for the days it rained. everything is in walking distance. i enjoyed my stay and made friends.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 544heathera
chaletinn, Manager at Chalet Inn & Suites Near the Falls, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Thank you very much for your review, it is very appreciated. We are also happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again, and that you enjoy the rest of the summer.