“I will not be back!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
A TripAdvisor Member
“I will not be back!!”
Reviewed October 24, 2005

Our room was small and was not in the same house
as they show in the ad.
NO Jacuzzi or Bath Tub, No Closet or Hangers, No
Head Boards on our bed at all. No Coffee or Breakfast
before 9:00am. One key to lock and unlock door from
inside and outside. Small 13" TV in our room. We were
going to stay two nights but only stay one. Never seen the
fireplace or the inside of the Ellis House but paid to stay
there.

• Stayed October 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ellis House, Hostess - Inn Keeper, Cook, Reservation Agent, Grounds Keeper, House Keeping, Maintenance, Tour Guide, and everthing in between. at Ellis House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 23, 2006
A different suite for everyone's taste:

If you book a jacuzzi suite, your ensuite bathroom is equipped with a jacuzzi tub. If you book a standard suite, your ensuite bathroom with a shower unit. Every suite offers a fireplace; air conditioning; yes we do have "13" inch TV's for ending your vacation day or to touch base with the weather channel; but offering 70 channels. Suites offer clothes closets (armour's) to hang your clothes. Our suites all have head boards; but do not have foot boards. Taller people often find it harder to strectch out with foot boards.

We pride ourselves on breakfast each morning; starting off with fruit, yogurt, fresh baked bread, etc. while we cook your hot breakfast. You never have to worry about leaving hungry. We want our guests to remember, tell friends and come back again and again next breakfast time. Coffee is always never ending in our house, as I drink it non stop all day. The minute I get into the kitchen, coffee is a brewing. Start your day; there is nothing nicer than a guest coming down before breafast, enjoying that HOT cup of FRESH brewed coffee out on the back yard gazebo. A nice start to the morning, listening to the roar echoing from the Niagara Falls while you sit at the patio. Watch the squirels run around the back yard.... please take one home.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed October 16, 2005

I read the mixed reviews on this place but it looked nice AND had a great location. We decided to try it out. I have stayed in many B&B's - my hobby is traveling and I don't like the coldness of hotels.

We arrived later and had no problems getting into our room. It was an attractive but VERY small room. We didn't realize how small until we went to put our stuff away. There is no closet. No hangers. No place to hang up clothes brought for a nice dinner. No place to stow your suitcases out of the way.To make matters worse, the nice big fluffy pillow shams have no place to go but on the floor - in the walkway that is already barely big enough for one person to walk around the bed.

There was also a mouse in our room. And a mouse trap that lets us know the owners knew it as well :-(

You can hear everyone come and go and the light in the hallway shines into the room all night long.

Breakfast was NOT gourmet. No eggs benedict. Boxed pancakes one day. Plain, tasteless scrambled eggs another day. The first day I asked for sugar free syrup. Some B&B's carry it and I was not upset when I was told 'no'. I was upset when she laughed at me when I asked. I was also upset that she laughed at my boyfriend when he asked for Decaf Tea. No apology or regret - just a chuckle that we should dare to ask.

This was not a good experience but we LOVED the area. Go - Just stay somewhere else!

• Stayed October 2005
5 Thank k8infl
Dear valued guest:

Ellis House is a NEW business; learning from our mistakes and always trying to do better to serve our extended family.

Because every suite has its own enuite bathroom; you never have to share of go accross the hall in the middle of the night. We have lost the closet's that were once in the house; BUT we have taken your advice and added clothes closets (armor's) in all of the suites but one. Thank you; we originally thought that the hooks on the back of the doors would suffice; we stand corrected.

This girl hates spiders and anything else that shouldn't be around the home. We have electronic pest and insect chasers around the home, to keep them out of the house. We care about the health of our guests, and would prefer not to poison anything, only to find it or have our guest find something during their stay.

Ellis House specializes in providing an adult bed and breakfast environment. We are one of the few homes that do not set a curfew for our guest; but allow them the freedom of coming and going at their own leisure.We only ask that if you are coming in late at night; people keep in mind that others might be enjoying a restful night sleep. Hall lights are left on to ensure safety; regulations. If we were to turn out the lights; people that might want to come and go may find themselves lost in the dark.

We pride ourselves on breakfast each morning; starting off with fruit, yogurt, fresh baked bread, etc. while we cook your hot breakfast.. Every morning offers a different choice:
We do have sugar free syrup if asked, as those person's who are diebetic require this. We take things one step further, all of our preserves are packaged, as those people with NUT allergies need to be ensured that contamination does not occur. Upon check in; we often ask guests about allergies. You never have to worry about leaving hungry. We want our guests to remember, tell friends and come back again and again next breakfast time.

Our buffet has a wide selection of tea's, cereals and baked goods. Guest need only ask if they can not find; decaf coffe and tea is available; we have additional tea's in the china cabinet's.

Our appologies valued guest.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 16, 2005

The room was ok but the breakfast was NOT gourmet. We were served juice and canned fruit. We were not given a choice for breakfast just served 4 pancakes that were from a boxed mix. They were dry, and heavy. There was no bacon or sausage. Toast was available but no pastry or any other "gourmet" delicacies like advertised. The hostess was rather crude and used profanity in the course of conversation. Her attire was one of cleaning the house rather than as a hostess. I was VERY disappointed in this B&B.

• Stayed August 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ellis House, Hostess at Ellis House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 23, 2006
You are correct; my name is Kathie and I am the Inn Keeper, Reseravation Agent, Grounds Keeper, Cook, House Keeping, Maintenance, Tour Guide, the one responsible for ordering and shopping for groceries and supplies; I am the little person welcoming you when you arrive after a long drive. I smile every day proud to welcome you to my home; your home away from home. I pride myself on the best service I can; but if you catch me in the yard cutting the grass; I will not be in my pearls and dress.. :)

Breakfast each morning; starting off with fruit, yogurt, fresh baked bread, etc. while we cook your hot breakfast.. Every morning offers a different choice: ( french toast, pancakes and sausage, eggs benedict, eggs&sausage and homefries, omlettes).

Our appologies valued guest.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2005

I arrived at this B and B expecting a nice welcome and a tour of the property but instead was pressed for payment and just handed the keys to the room that was suppose to be the 'best' of all offered.

It was small and cramped and there were so many rules I thought I could at least use shampoo in the shower!!?!?!! I asked for a glass of water at breakfast and was told "Im busy at the moment" There were more issues that arose during my stay but to keep it short not worth the price or the effort to get to!

I would never go back to this b and b nor would I recommend it for the $150 plus tax rate per night for a room the size of a bathroom. The only plus would be the fact its 10-15 minutes from the falls.

This host would be best to learn some customer service and offer some hospitality to their guests. Just be pleasant I dont need you to do cartwheels for me!

• Stayed June 2005
7 Thank TasiToronto_Canada
Depending on what time each guest checks in; if arriving very late, we try not to disturb guests that may already be enjoying a good night sleep. When you come down in the morning; we look forward to assisting our guests with any questions they may have.
We don't usually as for payment up front; but deal with payment at check out time. But; if the credit card used to reserve the suite is invalid at time of check in, we do ask for a different one at the time of check in. Some people prefer to pay in Cash and not have to use a credit card. Invalid credit cards usually result in holding a reservation in all hotels; but as a small family business, we have a higher level of trust with our guests.

To ensure everyone's comfort we do ask that people refrain from running the jacuzzi tubs after 10:30pm; and because they are recirculating jacuzzi tubs, if you add shampoo.... WOW are your going to have bubbles EVERY where... : )