“Just perfect in every way!”

Niagara Grandview Manor
Ranked #9 of 69 Niagara Falls B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 1, 2008

I spent four nights at the Eastwood Lodge, and it was the best decision we could have made. The house is so cozy and welcoming, and the owner Joanne is friendly and helpful. We booked the rooftop suite in the main house, and it was an incredible value - like having your own home away from home. Spacious and well appointed with bedroom, large living room, fridge / dry bar area, full bath and outdoor deck with table and chairs. In addition to the large couch, there were two reclining chairs set up in front of the window with the lovely teal green waters of the Niagara River right across the street. The house has free wireless internet, and the suite that we stayed in had hundreds of cable channels and a large (36" ?) flat screen LCD TV. Each room has it's own coffee / tea machine to make individual servings whenever you want. With the in-room fridge, we were able to purchase a bottle of wine and drink it in the evening with the glasses provided in the room. One note about the suite; it is two stair flights up, so if you have any problem with climbing stairs, you may want to book a ground floor unit. The other guest rooms at the Eastwood are located in a building right adjacent to the main house.

The Eastwood Lodge is conveniently located about 1 minute from Rainbow Bridge, and has parking for all guests. It is located within walking distance between two stops of the "People Mover" shuttle system that will take you to all of the stops of the Niagara Ontario parks commision sites of interest. If you enjoy walking, you can easily walk to the Falls or to the Clifton Hill tourist district or over Rainbow bridge to the NY side. We purchased the Canada Adventure pass as first time visitors to the Falls, and found it a good value if you visit all of the attractions.

The breakfast room at the Eastwood is bright and cheerful and the food is so plentiful - from wonderful breads, croissants, cheeses, cereals, yogurts, cakes, pastries, fresh fruit of all types, juices, delicious coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. Joanne is present and attentive to her guests at breakfast.

Joanne has a gorgeous baby grand piano, and we enjoyed hearing a fellow guest and music teacher play it during our visit.

Joanne was a big help receiving calls and e-mails for us from the Winery Tour establishment that we booked with. Staying at a B&B is so much better to me than a hotel because you usually meet such interesting people at breakfast, and the environment naturally encourages friendly interaction. A bonus treat for me was their adorable new kitten named Billy Burrew, who I couldn't stop playing with. Don't worry, if you do not care for cats, Joanne will make sure he is out of your sight if that is your wish.

I would most definitely come back to stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Nollij

Reviewed May 9, 2008

First let me say that Joanne, the proprietor, is the Gold Standard for her trade. Her joie de vivre is contagious, she is an excellent conversationalist and her cheerful, helpful manner was consistent through our week-long stay. It's no wonder she receives such praise in other reviews I have read about the Eastwood.

THE ROOM: When I travel on vacation, the room to me is not that important since most of the time I'll be out and about. However, a good room certainly adds to the trip and the room we stayed in - I believe it's called the "Garden Room," on the first floor - was very cozy and convenient. The gas fireplace made the room cozy on the cold nights we were there and we enjoyed the convenience of just walking out of the door to the garden in the front. Included in the room were the following items: TV, phone, closet, hair dryer, a really convenient and FAST coffee machine (go to http://www.myflavia.com to see what I'm talking about) that had good-tasting coffee and tea, a small bathroom and an electronic room safe (very handy for securing passports, cameras...even my 17" Dell laptop fit inside). We occasionally heard running water in the pipes from the other rooms but that is to be expected and it was not objectionable - the room was quiet. Hot water took a little while to get there at the sink and the shower was average. The king bed was comfortable and maid service came each day.

If the room is more important to you, definitely get the room at the top of the Eastwood. I forget the name but Joanne showed it to us when we were leaving. Fabulous. We'll get that one next time. Private rooftop balcony, view of the river...nice.

THE BREAKFAST: I like a good breakfast in the morning and Joanne offered the usual fare, like coffee cake, fresh fruit, juice, milk, coffee, tea, bacon, eggs, sausage, etc., and it was very good. The breakfast room was sunny and comfortable and I felt like I was eating in someone's dining room. Joanne attended our breakfasts each time, without leaving, offering refills and asking if we needed anything. If you're a morning talker, she'll keep right up with you and if you're not, she'll pick up on that and give you peace. She is extremely knowledgeable of the area and we picked her brain constantly for ideas on where to hike and see the wildlife. We thoroughly enjoyed our breakfasts.

THE LOCATION: Location is important and the Eastwood is only about a 1/3-mile walk from the falls and the heart of the town. No need to drive (good luck parking in town anyway, unless you don't care about parking fees). If you walk out the front door of the Eastwood, you'll go about 40 feet to the road. Cross that road and you're at the gorge, looking down at the Niagara River - that's how close you are.

MISCELLANEOUS: There is a local restaurant called Casa Mia (http://www.casamiaristorante.com). Go eat there. It's expensive, but if you're looking for an elegant night out, it's perfect. Ask Joanne about the deal they have set up with a local cab company - the restaurant will pick up the cab fare to and from the restaurant so you can enjoy yourself (they have a wonderful wine list) and not have to worry about driving. Excellent food, plating and service.

If you like standard fare, there's a Hard Rock, Planet Hollywood, etc., and they're fine I suppose but we enjoy finding interesting places to eat. Speaking of which, check out the Flying Saucer Restaurant (http://www.fallscasino.com/saucer/). Very cool.

We like birding and seeing different animals wherever we go, so check out the Dufferin Islands Nature Area, Bruce trail and Feather on the Glen.

Without hesitation I encourage you to stay at the Eastwood. When we return to Niagara Falls we WILL stay here again! Joanne, if you read this, thanks again for the wonderful stay!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank The_Devil
Reviewed August 3, 2007

First trip to the Falls. Wanted a bed and breakfast near the Falls and couldn't have picked a better place to stay. Very close to all the action. Beautiful views from the balcony upstairs, although the first floor would have been OK too. Nice neighborhood to walk at night. Joanne was just wonderful. Great light breakfast fare to get your day started as you tour this beautiful area. Private parking, left our car there and walked to town which took about 10 minutes down the hill. Would definitely stay there again, which I hope will be next Summer or Fall. Although it's rated number 2 here on this site, we walked by the number 1 rated place and it has nothing over this place, and The Eastwood is closer to town and has better views of the Niagara Gorge. Number 1 in our book!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dakotadb
Reviewed June 20, 2007

For the majority of our trip we had stayed in motels, but when we arrived at the Eastwood lodge and were greeted by joanne, it was like she knew us already. Even though I had booked the room ages before, she remebered the email conversations we had at the time of booking. She was very pleasant and extremly knowledgable about the area . We stayed in the beduget room on the ground floor, but we did pay the extra charge for breakfast (which I highly reccomend, if only to see the amazing spread that joanne laid on!).

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank helyvic
Reviewed June 8, 2006

Our stay was from June 3-6. My husband and I selected the Eastwood from the tripadvisor reviews and from visiting their website. Both were impressive. We were not disappointed! The Eastwood was great! It was so clean and comfortable that we felt like we were at home, rather than at an establishment. We had the Oak Room on the upper floor with a balcony overlooking the gorge. A small tv, refrigerator, and wireless internet provided all the comforts of home. Joanne, the hostess, was wonderful, not only knowledgeable about the area, but a very smart woman with lively and insightful conversation. The breakfasts were delicious and filling. We would stay here again and highly recommend it to couples traveling to the area.

• Stayed: June 2006
35  Thank wolvz71
Reviewed May 22, 2006

I've just returned from a mini-vacation to Niagara Falls. The excellent location and comfort of the Eastwood Tourist Lodge helped make this a terrific getaway. The accomodations range from garden level of 2 rooms (my choice) with private entrance opening out on a lovely garden and patio, to balconied rooms overlooking the gorge. The usual cable TV, small fridges and coffee maker are in the rooms. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and being on a hill kept any road noise to a minimum, even though you are on a main route into the downtown. You can walk to most venues and just leave your car here.

The innkeeper shares an insider's view of how to get around and what to do locally while serving a hearty, healthy breakfast of your choosing. She made the trip very special for my mother with good cheer and conversation.

35  Thank GFreeman
Reviewed May 21, 2006

My husband and I (along with my parents)I stayed at this wonderful B&B based on the reviews I read on tripadvisor. We were not disappointed. Joanne is a wonderful hostess and goes out of her way to make you feel comfortable and at home. The rooms were great and the breakfasts incredible. We stayed in the Oak Room and the Blue Room. Within walking distance of the falls and Clinton Hill. A 20 minute ride to Niagara-on-the-Lake. I would highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: May 2006