“Hidden gem”

Queen Charlotte Tea Room
Ranked #1 of 575 Restaurants in Niagara Falls
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: we are a British resturant and tea room.all our pies and cakes are home made . its little bit of england here in canada, we do the english style fish and chips and roast beef with yorkshire pudding .steak and kidney,cheese and onion pies, we also import british foods,candy and drinks.
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Best scones and apricot jam ever! Quality afternoon tea set for great value. Owners are friendly and welcoming. Definitely a hidden gem in Niagara.

2  Thank Mandy C

Reviewed October 18, 2013

My family and my brother in-law's came here for an early dinner one night while staying at Great Wolf Lodge. We arrived around 530 on a Tuesday and the place was completely empty. There were about 10 of us including the kids, so I think the hostess was a little thrown off by the number of people this late in the day (they close at 7). I think she was scared she didn't have enough food to feed all of us!

The place is quite small, but very cozy. When you walk in you feel like you're in a British home. It is a husband and wife who own and run the place, and they were very gracious and hospitable. The wife took our orders, and the husband was our waiter for the evening. He was so jolly and pleasant, and made our experience all the better!

After deciding what to order, most of us settled on Fish & Chips, steak pot pie, and chicken pot pie. There is also a child's portion of fish and chips (huge!). We were served a delicious bread (Bram bread) to start, and as we were told is a specialty in Northern England. It had a slight sweetness to it, and had us wanting more!

Food arrived in a decent amount of time considering it's just the two of them running the place. Portions were huge, and food came out hot and fresh. Word of warning, unless you're a linebacker or planning to share, don't get the 2 piece fish & chips--IT'S GINORMOUS!! Chips (aka fries) are fresh cut, and according to my British sister in law very authentic! The fish as well was declared to be the best outside of England! Crisp batter, but not greasy--perfect! Also comes with a side of peas.

Pot pies are about 4" in size, and are served with either a brown or white gravy, plus peas and choice of potato. Pastry was very flaky, and filling was flavorful and perfectly seasoned.

Although we were stuffed, we all couldn't resist trying the sticky toffee pudding. I'm a HUGE sticky toffee pudding fan after trying it at a resort about 8 years ago. I've even tried to mimic it at home, but this was by far THE BEST sticky toffee pudding I've ever had. And like I said, although we were full we were all tempted to order more it was that good!!

Niagara is full of some pretty horrible chain food, so this was such a welcome change. There are not many other good places to eat that I can recommend (Betty's would probably be the only other one), but this place is now definitely top of the list! I will definitely return and next time I would also love to try the afternoon tea (we were told reservations are required for that).

Don't come to Niagara and not try this place!! Your stomach will thank you! ;)

1  Thank TOtravlr
Reviewed October 16, 2013

My husband and friends thought me crazy when we drove up but once inside they agreed I had "quite a find". It has a cozy atmosphere that was quiet and homey with fabulous service and excellent food. The men had fish and chips which we all agreed were the best ever and we have eaten in London many a time. I had an onion and cheese pie and my friend the chicken salad. The tea was excellent and both desserts wonderful. My rhubarb pie had freshly made English custard. Felt like you were at a British home rather than a restaurant. Don't go expecting fancy, just excellent, well prepared, well-priced food in a quiet out of the place spot where you can relax and if it isn't busy, chat a bit with the owners. Thanks for some peace and quiet, away from the tourist traps near the falls!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband and I stopped in for a late lunch after checking the reviews. At first he was like, "Do they even serve guys in a place like this?" but he soon changed his mind. Our server, Christine, helped us choose a tea to share, and we loved it. We each ordered a special, the chicken salad for me, and the bangers and mash for my husband. I have to comment on his meal, which was ginormous--three sausages, mashed potatoes, and beans over Yorkshire pudding; he loved it! My salad was also delicious, with romaine, chicken breast, dried cranberries, walnuts, and coconut in a raspberry vinagrette. It was a really neat place for a quick lunch, or just tea and dessert--highly recommend giving it a try if it sounds interesting to you.

Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

After looking up best restaurants in the area, I decided on this tea room and restaurant. My wife and two small children and I loved it. The food was underpriced and delicious. We were served by the husband and wife team owners. They were charming and very friendly, taking an interest in our children and even holding our four month old for a time. The atmosphere was just like you would find in some small village in England or Wales. Love it.