“Best food that I've had in a long time”
Review of Savoury and Sweet Restaurant - MOVED

Savoury and Sweet Restaurant
Good for: Large groups, Scenic view, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: European Classic Meals, Schnitzels, Veal, Beef or Chicken Stews with home made dumplings, Cabbage Rolls, Goulash, made from scratch home made Soups, vegetarian and meat savoury crepes and sweet dessert crepes. Restaurant will close permanently September 7 2016
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My girlfriend and I went to Savoury and Sweet because of their gluten-free options and were pleasantly surprised. The food was absolutely delicious. I ordered schnitzel for the first time in years and it was absolutely delicious. The server was a very pleasant man who I think may have been the owner, who assured me that my food was completely gluten-free. My girlfriend also ordered the schnitzel, but the regular version, and had a wonderful meal as well. We also had some cabbage rolls, fried potatoes, and red cabbage - all of which were really tasty.

Definitely worth checking out if you want a break from the typical tourist fare in the area. I would recommend this to any friends going to Niagara.

11  Thank jdw862

Reviewed June 19, 2013

One of the best meals I have ever eaten. Please please please give this place a try for a romantic dinner or just an incredible meal. 5 stars.

13  Thank katdvine
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I cannot remember the last time I had a meal that was this amazing. I have travelled in Europe, around Southern Ontario and the northwestern USA and I have to say that this was by far one of the best meals I have ever had. The french onion soup was fresh and full of flavour. I had the Hungarian veal stew for a main course and the meat just fell apart in my mouth. The peach and custard crepe was an excellent end to a fabulous meal. The crepe itself was light and fluffy, the fruit was fresh and the custard was amazing smooth. I will be returning to visit this beautiful restaurant and the wonderful couple that runs it and I will be bringing my appetite.

14  Thank Andrew B
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Thanks reviewers, for your guidance to this little gem. What fun! We ended up there on Poetry night (a local group meets for readings and music). The owners were still very accommodating to us and other guests who stumbled upon the restaurant that night.

The owner recommended a Romanian wine, a little sweet but really nice. We enjoy trying new kinds. I had the 3-course meal, but the owner graciously allowed me to change a couple selections. It's just that kind of place - homey, friendly, quaint, great food, fun!

We both had the cucumber salad - cucumbers marinated in brine for a day and served with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle of Hungarian paprika. I went down Memory Lane and had the Hungarian pasta with egg (basically spaetzle scrambled in egg). My husband had the veal schnitzel, potatoes and red cabbage. He said the cabbage was "outstanding" and the schnitzel done very well.

We shared dessert - the crepe flower. I recommend it. A white crepe and a chocolate crepe rolled up with ricotta and sour cherries inside. Whipped cream and chocolate syrup on top. Oh, my mouth is watering just typing this.

Excellent, unique, fun...by people who care and love what they do. By these reviews, I think they will do very well, and they deserve to. Go try it for yourself!!

11  Thank texassgirl
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Trip Advisor led us to Savory and Sweet in the neighborhood of Chippawa in Niagara Falls.
This is an authentic Hungarian restaurant run by Tamas and his wife, Irona, (sorry if not correct spelling!). We were made to feel at home, served beautiful and delicious food that was delectable! The cabbage roll starters were perfect. The fettuccine with poppy seed and powdered sugar was a delightful surprise served in tandem with beef goulash. The dessert crepes were divine. In addition, we were pleased to find our wine selection reaching into regions across the Atlantic! :) The host could not have been more genuine and pleasant. We had a lovely evening! You will not be disappointed here!

11  Thank CatherineNYC1