“Second time not great”

Syndicate Restaurant and Brewery
Ranked #36 of 557 Restaurants in Niagara Falls
Cuisines: Canadian, Bar, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Welland, Canada
“Second time not great”
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I took another couple to experience the Syndicate.
We had been there once before and liked it.
This time we made a reservation and when we arrived we were taken to a table.
Then we had to move to accommodate a larger party so they could push tables together. Not a big deal but we had to move.
We asked about going upstairs but you have to ask when you book.
Anyway we ordered wine, drinks and then dinner.
All was ok, except service was very slow. Probably about 10 minutes with all glasses empty before someone took a refill order and another 10 minutes for the refills to come to the table.

It was the first seating so the only rush we saw was at the end when they needed the table for the next seating.
Food was good. No complaints there. We just felt like we were being pushed out.
Water was not refilled. Fresh ground pepper was not offered but we saw other tables getting it.
It was just a disappointing night due to the staff there.
Probably wont take people there again.

3 Thank MauryM

Niagara Falls, Canada
“Didn't Meet Expectations.”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I live nearby, so we went over for a beer and an appetizer one evening to check it out after hearing good reviews. I found the staff to be unhelpful and too "cliquey" with the local regulars sitting at the bar. We felt out of place and unwelcome. Not impressed to find so few vegetarian/vegan options in a newer restaurant. Ended up getting mediocre fries and awful beer. The decor and prices were decent, that's the positive. Won't be going back there, which is a shame because it's so close by.

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank Ashley K
Peterborough, Canada
“Food Didn’t Live Up to Expectations but Good Brew”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Our family of four had plans to eat elsewhere but changed them when Syndicate was recommended to us. The staff were friendly and attentive but only one of us enjoyed the meal. Our son loved the caesar salad and pasta but was less than impressed with the cheese plate. My husband and daughter had the porter beef and said it was ‘okay’. I had the pickerel and thought it, along with the veggie side, was very plain. The chocolate creme brulee was okay but really can’t compare to true creme brulee. It takes like chocolate pudding with sugar on top.

I did, however, enjoy their brewery beer. Both the red and the blonde were quite nice.

Overall, we were disappointed. It didn’t live up to the glowing recommendation we received.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank The_4_Youngs
Toronto, Canada
“Good brew, better food at a low prix fixe price - recommended!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were in town for a weekend, looking for a place to eat that wasn't prime tourist ground. Having some familiarity with that industry, I worry about quality control.

Checked the mobile TripAdvisor app for something near and mid-range; found Syndicate Restaurant. We walked in on a Friday night. It took three staff to determine that some reservations didn't show and they could seat us. Odd, I thought.

First off, the large brewing vats are in view. This encouraged me to try a flight of the local brews. They were out of their red ale, but their others were quite enjoyable. Their brewmaster is clearly a fan of hops. I found their beers well flavoured and well hopped, generally enjoyable.

We took advantage of their $20 3-course prix fixe menu.

Appetizers
The Caesar salad was crisp and fresh, and not over-dressed. I enjoyed a carrot-ginger soup of the day that was so heavy on the ginger, my lips tingled. (Hey, it's Niagara Falls, and tingling lips fit in well with the romance!)

Mains
As these rich foods do, the lobster ravioli looks smaller on the plate than it feels once eaten. Good sized lobster chunks wrapped in tender zebra pasta, covered in a complementary sauce, delighted my wife's palate. I decided on the strip loin of of the day. A seasoned crust is often overdone elsewhere, but at Syndicate it complemented the meat's flavour without overwhelming it. It was a fair cut of meat, but the cooking was a little uneven from one end to the other. I quite enjoyed its flavour.

Desserts
The chocolate crême brulée diverged some from tradition, to good report. I opted for the chocolate tart, fearing the volume of food and determination to sample the local beers. It was a very nice finish to a superior meal.

Recommended.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank PaulMmm
Yorkton, Canada
“Always rushed”
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Our second visit, will not give it third visit.our waiter on Saturday night was very inattentive, our glasses sat empty not even offered second glass of water, no fresh pepper offered for salads, plus you feel rushed whole entire meal they are always in rush to get you out so they can fill the table again. Really to bad as food is decent.

6 Thank danewf