“Loved the place”

Ranked #91 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Bengaluru, India
“Loved the place”
Reviewed October 19, 2008

The rooms were tidy and the hosts were warm. The services provided were basic but the essentials were covered well. The breakfast is something that can be improved. The owner was kind enough to inform us about the most exciting places to see as we had expected. It is about 7 miles from the actual falls but if you have a car, it is a pretty simple drive.

I booked directly and the only thing I found a little wierd was when they are too keen to take down your credit card details. The good news is that they dont overcharge anything and we got everything we expected.

Overall.. great value for money!

Stayed October 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Stow, Ohio
Reviewed August 17, 2008

I've been to Niagara Falls over 15 times in the past 25 years, and I've stayed at this hotel every time! On a street choc full of choices, this property stands out with clean rooms, reasonable rates, a friendly staff, and ample parking. Half indoor, half outdoor, this hotel offers both an indoor and outdoor pool, as well as an indoor whirlpool. What they lack in exercise equipment, they make up for in a delicious (although not free) breakfast restaurant. Minutes from the falls, this property is convenient, and a pleasant stay!

• Liked — Distance From Niagara Falls
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BTCompKSU
Toronto
Reviewed August 2, 2008

We just got home from Niagara Falls, we stayed there for 5 nights at the Travelodge. It was very clean, the staff were very friendly, and when there was a small problem with the A/C in our room they put us in a jacuzzi suite for the remainder of our trip at no extra charge.

We never tried the inhouse breakfast restaurant with so many other places around we just kept going out and finding new places.

The pools were very inviting and never overcrowded... We ended up staying there for 5 nights for just over $400. It was worth every penny and we will deffinately be returning next year

• Liked — the value for the money
  • Disliked — nothing really... no complaints
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank TypicalMale
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 7, 2008

This was the low point of our 10 day trip through the Northeast, including unfriendly Toronto!
What a sad joke on us! $188 for 2 nights PLUS taxes & fees!
Total was $215 for those 2 nights!
Wall paper peeling, sink vanities dirty with stains, cracked and fiberglass peeling. The carpeting was old and ragged, puffy and cigarette burns. The door to our room showed signs of forced entry, the lock was broken and the door jamb had a shoddy repair job!
3 story motel with outside entrances, no elevators!
Downstairs was a booze party with people smoking - smoke rises, guess where it went?
Garbage cans in the stairwells were full and not emptied during our 2 night stay.
Outside the building is falling apart, looks like the motel from hades in a 'B' movie.
On the plus side, the sheets and towels were clean and white, that's about the only positive thing I can say.
The check in desk clerk was there, just doing his job, that's all.
We've stayed in much nicer places for half the price - BEWARE OF THIS RUN DOWN JUKE JOINT.
Suggest you find another hotel...

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — just a crummy run-down juke joint
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
17 Thank go-doc
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 8, 2008

It's taken me a while to write my review, but I stayed here last August as I hadn't been to Niagara falls before so I wasn't sure where to stay or what to expect. I read lots of reviews on here first, and decided to go with Bonaventure as it was affordable but also nice and had great reviews here. So I thought I'd share my experience here too, in case it helps someone else decide to go with this hotel or not.

The hotel was fairly clean, but it could be upgraded, especially the older rooms. I stayed in the main building for 2 nights and then in the new building (more like motel rooms) for my last night and the new rooms were spotless and very nice (and much bigger for almost same price) I agree with a couple reviewers that if you're staying at this hotel in the winter though, get a room in the main building so you don't have to go outside to get to the pool.

The lobby was a little small and crowded, esp during busy times but the service was excellent. I even arrived back at the hotel after pool hours (or very near closing time) and after walking all day, we were so sore and really wanted a hot tub! The nice guy at the reception let us go into the pool/hot tub for a few minutes as we were very close to the closing time anyway. I thought that was really nice, many hotels are way too strict with their hours and aren't flexible at all...or they close to early. Now I don't know if they are flexible normally here at Bonaventure, but it doesn't hurt to ask if you get to the pool close to closing time, they seem really nice at this hotel. For that reason in itself, I would definately go back.

One thing I would have appreciated was access to a computer in the lobby so I could check email or check a few websites, they do have wireless but I'm sure not everyone has a laptop, esp at a touristy destination like Niagara falls. It's always a nice touch, and most hotels even smaller ones now have this. SO this is a pretty easy extra they could provide.

I would recommend this hotel if you're looking for a quieter stay, as long as you have a car or don't mind looking into the bus schedules, it would be quite a long walk to the Falls area, maybe 45 minutes if I had to guess ( I had a car so I don't know how far exactly). Nice if you'd rather be away from the touristy section though. Also, try Donut Diner for breakfast (fairly nearby) a great little brunch spot!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank TheRoadtrippergal
toronto
Reviewed October 23, 2007

This hotel is a little out of the way, from the falls/cliffton hill area but was also considerably cheaper...maybe a 5-6min drive into cliffton hill. Outlet is very close. We had the 3 queen beds room and it was clean and functional - and a good size. Pool area is kept nicely.

• Liked — price
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank beachey66
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed October 16, 2007

Stayed at the Bonaventure for one night, 10/13/07. Booked it after reading the decent reviews on here, esp. given the price was so much lower than everyone else. No major complaints.

PROS:
~ Room was reasonably clean - no complaints, but I didn't do a 'white glove' test, either. Nothing stood out - let's put it that way.
~ Had an indoor pool (warm) and hot tub (moderately hot), and both were reasonably clean. It also has an outdoor pool, but that was obviously closed for the season.
~ Staff was nice and also helpful.
~ Price was significantly cheaper than everyone else. $80 (which included the taxes) on a AAA rate for a Saturday evening, compared to about $120 anywhere else.
~ Multiple restaurants in the area, including the 'Donut Diner' that had a nice $3.29 breakfast w/eggs, bacon, home fries, and coffee.

CONS:
~ It's pretty far from the Falls, Clifton Hill & casinos. I cannot even fathom walking that far. It sits about a block west of the QEW right on Lundy's Lane, so that tells you that it's pretty far.
~ Pool was fairly deep, no matter what part of it you were in. My 8yo was not able to stand up in it anywhere.
~ There were some minor inconveniences about my room in particular (#208). Two lamps were missing their on/off knobs, the fan didn't work in the bathroom, and the TV clicker didn't work. Again, nothing worth getting worked up over.
~ I didn't see a computer for guests to use, but I didn't ask either.

TIP:
If you are going in the winter, and wish to use the indoor pool, I strongly recommend getting a room with an 'interior corridor'. Otherwise, you will have to walk outside to get to the indoor pool (brrr).

Other than that, nothing stood out. It was basically a fairly average hotel, but it had a nice indoor pool and was much easier on the pocketbook than similar hotels.

• Stayed October 2007