“The Oaks Hotel Overlooking the Falls” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls

Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls
Ranked #33 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Toronto
“The Oaks Hotel Overlooking the Falls”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2009

DONT STAY HERE EVER!!!!!!

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Oaks hotel which mistakenly booked us two rooms instead of one, and decided to charge us for both rooms without our concent. The manager was rude, and threatned us when we confronted him about charging us twice. The rooms are hidious, and no one works there so you have to wait forever for anything to get done. Well never go there again. The views not even that great!~

1 Thank Cbugs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (985)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2009

We stayed for two days in one bedroom suite. I was under impression that they do not have room service: the room was dusty, hairs in on the sheets and the bathtub, spider net in the window corner. The front desk said our room was cleaned that day...
The view was fantastic - right on the Falls, we paid extra 60,- for an upgrade. This was the only thing that made our stay bearable in Oakes.
Overall impression - not very inviting, average.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Wiltshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2009

We stayed in the Oakes for 4 nights in mid-Feb. This was a good time to visit because the mist from the falls freezes up each side of the waterfalls, the river is iced up and there are no queues for attractions. It was very picturesque. We did avoid all those tacky attractions in Clifton Hill.

The hotel: We found the staff very friendly and helpful. Our room on the 14th floor was great: 2 very large comfortable beds, nice bathroom, quiet and what a view. It wasn't posh but still fabulous. There were 2 comfy chairs in the window and we loved coming back to that view every day. We watched the sun rise over the falls every morning and then the afternoon rainbow in the mist. There's complimentary coffee in reception so we used to pick up a cup on the way in.

The swimming pool was a little chilly but bearable and the jacuzzi was lovely. There's a car park but you have to pay. It was only £3.00 a day though. The hotel is within easy walking distance of the falls.

Food: being a vegetarian I found problems every day trying to find somewhere nice to eat that offered veggie food. They don't seem to understand the concept of no meat or fish!

Here's a tip: if you want to check-in for your return flight, walk across the road to the Embassy Suites Hotel and carry on to the next hotel along and you can use one of their terminals and printer for free.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Western Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2009

Very nice hotel. Clean and comfortable. Our room had floor to ceiling glass window which overlooked the falls. A great place to stay. Short walk to falls & all facilities.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Calgary, Ab
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2009

Views from window were excellent, No internet service in rooms, when called reception if we can have internet in room with payment, she was very rude on phone.
Requested front dest o give wake up call in the morning, they did not bother to call so we woke up late, when asked why they did not call, they only said we forgot...........
As there are other hotels with Falls Views in same price range, why bother getting a poor customer service. It is not worth.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Oakes for 2 days starting March 9th. It's off season so I booked a falls view king size bed jacuzzi suite for a great price, a tiny bit cheaper then some of the comparable rooms at nearby hotels. I did a lot of research before deciding on the Oakes, and I'm glad I did.

I had requested in my reservation to be in a high up room, but was placed on the 9th floor, the lowest floor for the falls view king size jacuzzi suite (they go 9-15 for them) but the view was SPECTACULAR. Having the 9th floor meant you almost felt closer to the falls then being higher up, you looked right out on them and it was a great view, worth every penny, so don't fret if you aren't high. We stayed in room 917, a corner room which I highly recommend. A corner gives you a view of the hotel next door, and a large view out to both falls, and a third window in the sitting room looking across the street.

The room was very nice and cozy, and the bathroom was huge. I wanted a 2 person tub and from the pictures I had doubts the tub would be large enough. I was wrong, it was big enough for my husband and I and then some, so again, if your like me and fret over the tub, this one is perfect for couples, large and small. You also get a stand up shower stall.

Staff was friendly too, check in was fast. We went out one evening and smelled cigarette smoke from our floor, even though the hotel is smoke free. We told the front desk since we didn't want to get blamed for it. By the time we came back you couldn't smell a thing, and were never accused of doing it. Parking was 20 dollars Canadian for 2+ nights, not bad considering your right next to the casino, and we had no problem walking to Clifton Hill even in the cold. I'd highly recommend walking every where. Housekeeping was fast to make our bed and give us fresh towels while we were out.

The only reason I didn't give 5 stars was that the tub did have hairs in it when I got there, I know jetted tubs can be a pain to clean but come on, housekeeping needs to do a better job of getting in all the crevasses and cleaning it out well after every guest. It wasn't nasty, and there wasn't a lot of hair, but it was enough for me to take off a star. Also the satellite TV wasn't the greatest. We did get about 10+ channels, but one did have a delay between the audio and the video. I guess it depends when you go and how the weather is, it isn't a huge complaint. Lastly NO INTERNET in room. Only apparently free wifi in the lobby, but the lobby is small and I didn't notice anywhere to sit. There was a data port in the room but they are inactive. High speed, or wifi is basically a requirement these days.

Overall, the room we stayed in seems to go for about double what we paid in the tourist season. If you book ahead you get a better rate. We paid 129 Canadian a night for the king size bed 2 person tub falls view suite, a bargain really. I'd go back to the Oakes again in a heartbeat and request the same fabulous corner room.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hezadancer
ecoshape
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2009

I saw the website and the pictures looked great. I spoke to the front desk staff and they said the two bedroom suite were great......
The lobby is very tiny and there was no bell man to help with the luggages for a family of five people, I did not mind. I was excited to be on vacation. It took a while to check in. We went up to our room. As we got out of the elevator, I sense this was a big mistake. The hallway carpets had stains. I opened our room, it was a loft style room with a very small living room right next to the door so you can hear everybody walking by the room . I think, this is were the bell man would have come in handy. I carried all the luggages down a narrow flights of stairs.
The room looked like it has seen it better days. We found coffee grind on the table where the coffee machine should have been and cereal on the floor by our bed. The amoire tv stand door was falling apart, bathroom had poorly dim light, mold and rust. I complaint to the front desk and they tried to check us into the next room which had food by the front door. It was the same.
This is a great hotel for a fraternity spring break.
I asked for a refund because it was not worth $300 a night to sleep in old bed and noisy air condition/heater room. The teenager manager running the hotel said they do not refund and I would be charged the full amount. I was very upset and raise my voice. But not so much to warrant the manager to threaten to call the police to have me arrested. We immediately check into the Hilton hotel across the street. We got a two bedroom suite with a beautiful full size bathroom for $75 less and great pool for the kids.
I really felt bad for the tourist that could not speak english to complain. My wife is Japanese, she was willing to complain on their behalf. This is not right....

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family