“Great location - looking better”

Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls
Ranked #36 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Lewisville, Texas
“Great location - looking better”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

My partner and I stayed for a week - our room was clean and freshly renovated. The staff was courteous and friendly. Great location for easy walking distance to many attractions. Plus the inclined railway is right outside the door. Our room had a great view of the falls and may beautiful rainbows were viewed. Great vista for the fireworks also. The hotel is going through renovations, so you except some paint and renovation smells. Parking is tight, but not unmanageable. The view is worth the stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
OakesManagement, Front Office Manager at Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you for your review, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you return in the future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,034)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

I've been here 3 times over the last 2 yrs & only because I get deals on groupon which includes wine tours & breakfast. It's a cheap getaway. We have never had any problems with the room. It is juy an old hotel with much needed renovations, but it doesn't bother me as I just sleep for a fee hours there. I do like a clean place, which so far it is. Always had a view of the falls. The staff is actually quite rude, they are in need of customer service training as they are in hospitality. Don't pay for parking. Park in the casinos parking lot. Just get a players card at the casino, put a couple of dollars on your card & play the couple of dollars. and park in the casino parking lot, it will be free once you leave. Just hand your card over.
I would probably only go if I get another groupon deal!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank npat80
We are pleased that you purchased the groupon deal, they are a steal of a deal. We do offer many deals, we hope that you will return, we have made many updates with our rooms and staff.
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Pics online are deceiving. Hotel is in need of major renovations from the sad reception area to the halls and rooms. Big spacious room I had but where do I start. Paint splatter on sofa, ripped curtains, stained carpet, dripping shower faucet. Hall carpets are falling apart as well as the tacky wall paper thru out, tv channels are very limited with bad quality. I'm always looking for a good deal but i've paid less and gotten a whole of a lot better in previous hotels. For $175 on a monday night is not worth it at all. Wont ever be going back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank megan s
Thank you for your review, We have been remodelling and updated the hotel since may1st 2014, We are trying our best to get everything done but as the busy season is now here we are only working on certain areas. All of our rooms are now complete with new flat screen tvs new mattresses new pillows some chairs have been replaced the rest will be done this month. Our lobby was just completed just waiting on our furniture delivery to arrive. Hallway corridors are being replaced with new carpet and wallpaper. We hope to have all completed by in the next month.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We used a Living Social deal for the 2nd time but this will probably be our last time. Had to walk thru renovation smells and odors then down several hallways and 2 sets of 4 stairs to get to room 249. Heard many people complain about smells and they asked to be moved; maybe we should have too. Pool ok but hot tub wasnt as hot as bathtub and jets were severly lacking. Exercise room had outdated equipment that squeaked if it did work and so rusty it could not be adjusted; got a workout from trying to operate not to mention no air.

Room Tip: ask about renovations first
1 Thank conranp
Thank you for your review, I am tewrribly sorry that your stay was enjoyable, if you would like to contact the hotel directly and ask to speak with a manager we will be happy to invite you back again to show you that the Oakes hotel is a wonderful place to stay.
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed June 29, 2014

It is 330. Check in is 300. Our room is still not ready and we have dinner reservations for 5. Absolutely furious with this experience so far. I gave everything 2's or 3's so I could write the review. Please find somewhere else to stay

Allan

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank alchippe441
OakesManagement, Front Office Manager at Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you for your review, I do apologize for the room not being available at 3pm for you, we do try our best to have all rooms ready for our 3pm checkin time. I do hope that you enjoyed your stay with us!
Washington, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Hotel was like a sauna, A/C barely worked in room. Paid for parking but couldn't find a space anywhere except the nearby hotel lot. Vent fan in bathroom was broken. Was charged $50 deposit that I was never aware of. Paid for a falls view and got a room on lower floor without a falls view with no others available to move rooms. Hotel needs remodeled. I had a total of 3 TV channels. The bed sheets were very itchy and there was gum on the floor. The only positive thing I can say about this hotel was it was close to the falls.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank vvaresio
Thank you for your recent review, We appreciate all input so that we may better accommadate our guests in the future. I am sorry that you were not able to find parking we do have 3 locations surrounding the exterior of the hotel for parking. We are also remodelling and have accomplished a great deal. We do require a 50.00 hold on a credit card which is just incase you wish to add any extras while you are staying with us. Your final bill is the only transation that we charge at the end of your stay.
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Overall, not especially satisfied with my experience here. The front lobby of the hotel is quite nice and looks newly renovated, however this seems to be pretty much the only area of the hotel not in a state of renovation or repair. It is located right beside the Fallsview casino and as a result is right on the bus lines, but these benefits are absolutely not exclusive to this hotel and do not make up for some of the obvious downsides.

My room was a "court side" room so I knew that there wasn't going to be a view, what I did NOT know were the other unexpected disadvantages. It seems like the Oakes took over a neighbouring hotel so our room was about as far away from the elevator as you can possibly get. It did not have internet access. I don't mean that I had to pay for it(it is a separate charge if you want it), I mean that my room was not serviced with internet access. I had to go down to the lobby or the 14th floor to use the communal internet which was very slow. This was also quite different from what one expects when they have a package that "includes internet access."

The room itself was average. While it was larger than we had expected, it was quite lightly furnished making for a lot of empty space. The bathroom, while clean, was unadorned and looked extremely plain.

Finally, I was frustrated after signing up for a getaway package to learn that everything included in this package other than the food is in and around Niagara on the lake. While this is not far away, it absolutely requires a car in order to access (no bus service will get you there reliably), and I like many others writing reviews was shocked to hear about the charge for parking. Just go to a lot nearby.

Overall, I chose this hotel because I thought it was more within my price range while still providing many of the amenities I look for. For anyone else looking for something similar, I would recommend either spending the extra money for a nicer hotel or just settling for a cheaper option. You will probably actually receive more and have to deal with less smoke and mirrors and unmet expectations.

1 Thank FraWood