“Horrible service at so so hotel”

Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls
Ranked #35 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Woodbridge, Canada
“Horrible service at so so hotel”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

We decided to stay in a fallsview hotel on our 2nd visit to Niagara Falls. We saw a good deal on this hotel so we chose it. Big mistake! From the time we got there to the time we left was nothing but poor service. Check in took forever, the room we were given wasn't cleaned yet, then the next one's heat didn't work. No apologies either time we had to lug our luggage up and down. Heat stooped working in the middle of the night so we woke up to a frozen room. Upon check out I went to the desk and complained about our stay and the young woman was extremely defensive and rude. And when I asked to speak to the manager, to my surprise, it was her!! great way to lead by example. Last stay at this place. and will tell others too!
Going to stay at the smaller hotel we stayed at last time we went to the Falls. No view, but the rooms were great and the manager really knows the meaning of customer service.

2 Thank Rick m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,010)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Algonquin Park
Reviewed February 11, 2014

The hotel's service and general condition has been going down since '06, I've stayed here 4 times over the years and find the winter deals (I can only travel in winter due to resort work) are getting cheaper. Even the newer tower rooms are showing poor maintenance (I am picky as I'm a maintenance/property manager), I know the maintenance manager depends on HK to pass on defects but he/she should still do weekly room inspections.

Our latest stay is probably our last, room wasn't as clean as it could've been, front end staff were so-so, breakfast nothing to write home about, the best part was Remingtons, nice shuttle drivers too. On site parking is great but be warned your vehicle will usually be iced-up by morning due to mist from the falls.

Room Tip: Watch out for the cheap specials, they are in the "motel" style rooms. Most of the deals i...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We stayed at the Oakes Hotel on Saturday February 1st, 2014. We purchased the Gourmet Getaway Package for $139. We had a deluxe king room overlooking the falls. We also received dinner at Remington's, breakfast at Applebee's and a voucher for $50 per couple at the Casino. The food was awesome at both locations. The hotel also offered a free shuttle to Remington's, which was nice because we had been at a wine tour all day and it was pouring rain when we left for dinner. The rooms we had were very nice, I did not find the hotel to be dated at all, as others have said. Our room was exactly as promised with a view of the falls and a king bed, we even had a jacuzzi. My only complaint was that we only had 3 pillows, so I only got one and it was not very comfortable but I didn't ask for another and I am sure I would have been able to get another if I had asked. The location is perfect, very short walk to the Fallsview Casino. If you go behind the hotel and to the left you can enter the lower level of the Casino, which was also where the Wine Tour picked us up.

Room Tip: Higher the floor, the better the view.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Paid for a king jacuzzi suite. Big room but was very out dated! I got two rooms, one for me and other for my friend. They had a king bed but mine was a king. When I called front desk the lady argued with me and said the bed is deff a king as that what her computer said. I'm pretty sure I know what size a king should be even know both bed where different sizes as like I said I had two rooms. Felt ripped off and a liar as that is what the blonde lady at desk made me feel. Second time at this hotel and last. Not happy at all with my visit. Courtyard rooms are ugly and recommended you get rooms higher up as they are nicer and hopefully if you pay for a king bed you get one!

Over all rating I give it a 2 based on old rooms and poor customer service!

Thank

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Matt M
Reviewed February 1, 2014

So disappointed. Had stayed before and had a nice room, so thought we would stay again. Went out to dinner at Remingtons, was ok, but super slow service, server overwhelmed, food just ok. Had prime rib, nothing special. Shuttle driver was fabulous! Returned to room late, 1130, started Jacuzzi, hardly any air bubbles came out . Air intake shut off and couldn't be opened. So had a hot bath. Disappointed, was going to call down to front desk, but it was almost midnight. So I mentioned it on checkout, and the response from the pompous male , was maintenance was here at 1130. He turned and told a girl and she called mainintenance. That's it nothing else, no apology, Nothing! Then he said,are you keeping it on the same credit card? I incredulous y with his lack of service skills, all I could say was yes. He printed out a receipt, put it on the counter. No thanks for staying, have a nice day, nothing.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank threesixx
Port Dover, Canada
Reviewed January 30, 2014

If you're coming for an amazing view, you won't be disappointed. The falls from our window were truly spectacular. Room.... I don't know. We were in a 2 floor suite, which was a little disappointing. The top floor was just a lobby with a single chair, a desk, and a TV, down a flight of stairs to a bathroom and a small bedroom. The bathroom was nice, but with only a pedestal sink, nowhere to put your toiletries. No free Wi-Fi, no cable, and crappy old TVs (not even widescreen). The room was very clean, but absolutely FREEZING for several hours until after we had the heat going full blast. We were there off-season and it was still seemed expensive. Next time we will try the Fallsview next door....they have a Keg and a Starbucks!

1 Thank hollytodd66
Toronto, ON
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Seeking a quick weekend getaway, we booked a "Casino Package" for a 1-night stay. We were provided with a fallsview on a lower floor (6th floor) and, given that the trees have no leaves currently, we were afforded a fabulous view! This hotel does have one of the best views of the falls and it is located next door to Fallsview Casino. The 1-night package was a great deal, it provided a dining credit at Remington's Steakhouse, which was a fabulous deal, and a breakfast for 2 at Applebee's which is located in the hotel itself. The deal also provided 2- $25 credits at the casino that for some reason didn't transfer over onto our PAC cards (this was not the fault of the hotel however, but rather the casino). The value for the price paid was very good.

On a less positive side, the room itself was very warm when we arrived and I had a terrible time adjusting the temperature and resorted to turning it off. In fairness, I did not contact the front desk to allow them the opportunity to address the issue. We didn't particularly find the beds to be that comfortable, We traditionally stay at Marriott properties and. as a result, have possibly been spoiled. One area that I think that the hotel needs to address is better sound-proofing. The ice machine was located just down the hallway from us and we would hear it throughout the night whenever someone used it. It is really loud and perhaps part of the issue would be fixing it. Beyond that, we could clearly hear conversations of people walking down the hallway throughout the night. Given that a lot of casino patrons are in the area, traffic is moving in the halls throughout the night and this can lead to a disruptive night. Something as simple as a threshold seal along the bottom of the door would help as there is a clear gap underneath it. As for parking, we were charged at the front desk and had a terrible time finding a spot. Paying the fee does not necessarily mean you will have a parking spot. I was later told that the casino parking lot (indoors - key in the winter season) is free if you have a PAC card and spend at least $10 in the casino. I would probably suggest that on a future visit. Better conditions and a more secure, in my opinion.

Overall, a great value and the rooms were clean, but I would probably try another hotel on a future trip.

Room Tip: The lower rooms also provide a view of the falls in the winter season as there is no foliage on the...
1 Thank paluc502