“Great View but lacking” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Pelham, New Hampshire
“Great View but lacking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

I stayed at The Oakes on November 1 and 2, 2013. My companion choose this hotel having stayed there three decades ago and had great memories of that trip. The view of the Falls is wonderful, we were on the 11th floor and paid for the upgrade to a higher floor to have the view, but for the price of the room, the value is not there. The carpets are very worn and even look shabby in many places. Having to pay extra for a cramped parking space and getting a ding because the spaces are too tight (parking $15 extra per night) was not nice. There was only one clerk working on check-in with two supervisors watching her when they could have have helped expedited check in but the wait to check in took about 15 minutes of standing in line. This is a facililty very much needing a face lift. There was only one cart in the lobby available to take luggage to the room, another ten minute wait for the cart to come back down, and the bellman never offered to help. The bathtub was not clean, and I had to wash it down before use, but the jets were a nice feature and they worked. The coffee in the room is defintiely for a European taste, very strong, and only one serving, it makes almost two cups. Location is great, view is wonderful but the room is just average.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MichaelOakes, General Manager at Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thank you for staying with us while you were in Niagara Falls. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of one of our Fallsview Suites and enjoyed the view. And thanks for your feedback about some of the issues you had. During this offseason we will be going through renovations which will address a lot of the issues you had. Hopefully in the future you will be able to come back and enjoy all the new upgrades.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (985)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Antioch, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

My wife and I took the trip to Niagara Falls mid-October 2013 and stayed at the Oakes. This was in conjunction with a package deal that included various other discounts and amenities. We paid for the upgrade room for a better view of the Falls and it was well worth the extra money. It was like having your own private observation deck! The rooms were comfortable and the location was perfect .... many eating establishments and a short walk to the casino.

Would go again and take advantage of the package deal the hotel offers!

Jim and Colleen Sheehan
Antioch, IL

Room Tip: Upgrade to the rooms with the best view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your response! The upgrade fee is definitely worth it. The view is breathtaking from our Fallsview Suites. Thank you for posting the pictures as well. Gives others the opportunity to see the view you had while staying with us.
Cambridge, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

I booked a room on October 7th but never received a confirmation number. On October 8th and 9th, I tried to follow up with Melissa@overlookingthefalls.com but never had any replies. On October 10th I tried calling and was put on hold for 10 minutes and I eventually hung up.

On October 16th, I emailed two addresses listed on their Facebook page, Melissa above, and Jackie@overlookingthefalls.com to CANCEL my reservation if I even had one in the first place as I still did not have a confirmation number.

I checked my credit card online this weekend and found out they had charged me almost $170 for the night I had booked as a fee. Clearly I cancelled the room and if no one bothers to check their email it is NOT my problem. I emailed the general manager, Alan a couple of days ago and have no reply.

Time to call my credit card and complain of fraud. Feel like I've been scammed! Good luck to anyone else who now wants to cancel their reservations with this hotel!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
MichaelOakes, General Manager at Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
I apologize for the difficulty in trying to cancel your reservation. I have emailed you letting you know that we will definitely rectify this situation. There has been a change in management so I do apologize for the delay in response
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Stayed on the 31st & 1st November.Flew up from a trip to New York for a couple of days. We contacted hotel prior to visit as wanted a falls view & we were not disappointed!!.
Room was on the 14th floor & looked straight onto the falls.We found hotel to be comfortable & welcoming.The adjoining Applebees was great for Breakfast & staff friendly.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for reviewing our Fallsview property. We do take pride in having the best view of the Falls. Hopefully we'll see you again next time you are in Niagara Falls.
Ontario Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

My husband &I decided to book this Hotel as advertised in paper as fallsview .The place is old dirty & discusting .As far as we are concerned it was false advertised we could not see the falls only a rooftop from the second floor.When we questioned this the front desk was very rude and wanted more money!We will never stay in a dump like this again You can stay at the Hilton for slightly more and feel like you have had a holiday.The only good thing was the dinner at Remmingtons and also parking charge.I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Go to a different place
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
I'm sorry you felt as though our advertising was false. Our newspaper ad advertises a rate for a Falls Side room and gives you the opportunity to upgrade to a Falls View room. These are two different room types with both being on the Falls Side of our building but with one having a Falls View on the upper levels and the other with no view on the lower levels.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Not a great hotel but not too bad. The staff was friendly and helpful. Just a bit outdated with lackluster amenities e.g. (Newer tv's, and more channels). Had a great observation deck to view the falls. Definitely not a 3 star hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Monske
Middlesbrough
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

We arrived on 22nd August for 2 nights, as we arrived to the hotel, we were put on the 6th floor. Once we entered the room we looked straight out the window to see the view, which was non-existant. I complained straight away to the reception who put me through to another department. We were then told that if we wanted to upgrade, we would have to pay an extra $70 per night.

I then went to reception and was told by the receptionist that i had only booked a partial view of the falls, which was not true at all, i checked all my paperwork and nowhere did it say that i had booked a partial view, i have complained to the Oakes Hotel and Booking.com but am getting nowhere so im going further about this as they mislead us.

Disgusting customer service and the rooms were horrid, greed and brown and dingy, would never stay again.

Room Tip: Dont stay at this hotel at all, there are much better deals out there that actually have a view of t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple