“Amazing view of the falls!”

Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls
Ranked #35 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Amazing view of the falls!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

This was the cheapest hotel we could find in Niagara Falls with a view of the falls. The hotel itself is a bit dated but less that half the price of the newer ones so totaly worth it. The room was very spacious and clean. Check in was quick and painless. The location could not be better with Casino next door and walking distance to all amenities such as the falls below and Clifton Hill attractions. If looking for an affordable fallsview room, this place is the right choice!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Daniel C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (991)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I picked this hotel based on reviews and the rate for a "fallsview" room - both were very good. As another reviewer stated, pay attention to "fallsview" versus "fallside" - if you want a view like I did then get "fallsview" My wife and I got a king with hottub and the view was amazing seeing all parts of the Niagra Falls. The front desk team was friendly and helpful - even offered a package dinner / breakfast deal which was actually a great deal!! The room was very clean as was the hot tub. Cant say that I saw the "out dated" concerns others have written about, but they were in a different room category. There is a casino next door as well as numerous food outlets. It is a 5 minute or less walk to the overlook of Horseshoe Falls from the hotel. I found this hotel to be well worth what I paid especially with the location and surrounding area. I would definitely stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Fallsview means "view of the falls" - do not confuse this with Fallside which just means y...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Canyonman68
Germantown, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had a very good experience at our stay. The view from our room was outstanding. The view of the falls at night was the best, could see the US falls and Canada falls from our room. The room was clean, good service &, quiet hotel. If we go to Niagara falls again we will stay here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank florens z
Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

My friend and I went to see the falls and booked "Falls Side" rooms - read the small print carefully - these are partial view rooms, and when I say partial, I mean you're looking across the car park and into the trees, and might get a glimpse of the falls. The manager upgraded us to a higher floor, because we were very disappointed with the lack of view on the 4th, but even on the 8th floor, there's only a snapshot of the falls. Beware the pictures on the Hotel website - the hotel is looking tired. Dated decor. Worn/torn chair in the bedroom. Over priced and expensive for what it is.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank VeeVee007
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

When planning this weekend away with my now-ex, I wanted somewhere close to falls, as I had never been to Niagara. I picked this place based solely on its closeness to the falls, and because I got a deal through one of the websites ( I don't recall if it was RedTag/Expedia/HotWire/Hotels, I used to use a few lol). We had a room with a great view - as you can see with the attached photos. We had front row seats to the summer fireworks, and a beautiful vie, including sunset time ( the sun sets on the backside of the building, so you won't see it over the Falls).Heed the warnings though, you will need to be on a higher floor to get the view.

However, that's about it. This a hotel that at the time was a little past it's prime. It is clean, but dated, and in slight disrepair. There were spots the wallpaper was peeling off, and random paint splotches on the roof ( or maybe wear spots?). The carpet in the room was old, as was the furniture.

I will say, service was average, not spectacular, don't expect a lot of help with any tourist questions from the front desk staff. We were looking for info regarding the WEGO transit, and passes, and while the people were polite, not one of them knew anything about it, or where there was a close pick up - there's one right outside the front doors for the record. They also were not much help for recommending places to eat - see a few other reviews from around the area - all they did was tell us what we already knew, what was right next door, but not what was good.

It's good proximity to the Falls, the Casino is right next door, but I won't stay there again. Next time, I will pay a little more, and stay closer to Clifton Hill, or try my luck at a different hotel close to the Falls.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SurfNSunChaser
Nottingham, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

Our stay at the Oakes was not one we would consider again. Our room wasn't cleaned for two days, the place is so dated and the rooms truly need major renovations. The entire hotel needs to be torn down and rebuilt. The pull-out sofa in our room was old, dirty and full of holes. I couldn't believe this would have been left in the room. For what you pay per room while on vacation, I would have expected something better. From some of the reviews I've seen regarding this place, the good ones are either relatives of the owners or the vacationers do not have a clue what decent conditions should be. The halls getting to the rooms are not air-conditioned and honestly looked like you were on a second-rate cruise ship. There were actually stairs in some rooms that you had to climb in order to get to the sleeping quarters. No thanks Oakes, you won't see us again.

Room Tip: Don't even bother to stay at this place. The online room views look nothing like you get. Stay...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Pat187
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

Stayed one night...our main concern was a great view of the Falls from the room and the Oakes delivered. We were on the 17th floor and the view was perfect. We even watched the fireworks from bed. Beds could be comfier - but the room was clean and the shower worked well. Parking is tough; the lot was filled when we checked in, but we did get a spot when needed. Plenty of options for food in walking distance. Thought we'd be able to use the funicular for convenience to the Falls but it is out of order. Walk down not so bad, but the trek back up the hill could be tough on some people. The WeGo busses do stop right at the hotel so if you have a bus pass, getting back is a snap. I usually prefer free wireless and free breakfast, but the view was worth giving up those conveniences. Do be careful when booking - there is a difference between Falls Side rooms and Falls View rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family