“UNPLEASANT ODOURS AT THE OAKES”

Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls
Ranked #36 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Sudbury On
“UNPLEASANT ODOURS AT THE OAKES”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We arrived there on the 25th of June, 2013. Checked in, The front desk were friendly and helpful with any questions I asked. Going to the elevators, I noticed that one was out of service so it took awhile to get one. Upon entering our room (819) I noticed that the tvs were the old fashioned ones. Please. Get in the 2013's. We also noticed by the window there were two sofa chairs and one had a huge tear in it. Now that's an embarrassment to the hotel. I did report it but nothing got done. Our air conditioner wasn't the best. Also I was sitting on the bed and could smell urine. I didn't say anything to my partner, but later in the evening he commented on it. Not sure if it was from the rug or the bedspread or from the air conditioner. NOT SO PLEASANT. Would we stay there again. NO. Applebees had good food though and is next door. Very close the the casino.

5 Thank shem914
alan095, General Manager at Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for your review. I apologize for the poor accommodation you recieved while staying with us. I have notified my Executive Housekeeper to locate the source of the odor so that no other guest will be affected. I am very pleased to inform you the company who services our elevators are back on the job and all of our elevators are up and running. My apologies for any inconvenience caused by the labour dispute. Should you wish to visit the Oakes again please email me at alan@overlookingthefalls.com so we can make your stay very enjoyable. Kind Regards, Alan, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,032)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
South Bend, IN
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I was very disappointed with the Oakes hotel. I thought I had booked a room with a view of the falls but I only booked on that side of the building and no one was willing to work with me on this error. Be very careful of their wording (fallside vs. fallsview). You would think for $250 a night you would get more of a view than a parking lot. The first room we received, the air conditioning wasn't working and they didn't have a room to move us to that night so we had to suffer. It was 90 degrees out. The next morning they made an attempt to fix it but only moved us when I insisted on it. The room they moved us too had good air conditioning but a poorly working toilet. They have 3 elevators and only 2 were working the 3 days we were their. Their so called observation lounge was 3 windows with chairs in front of them in a hallway that had no air conditioning. Luckily the rest of our trip to Niagara Falls was great.

Room Tip: Make sure your reservation is for a Fallsview room if you want any kind of view.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 25, 2013

If you're here for the Falls, it's worth getting an upper floor Fallsview room. The lower rooms facing the falls have just a view of trees, a casino and the mist from the falls. Nothing noteworthy about the room amenities. Parking on site ran to $15 (CAN) per day, plus $1.96 tax. Wi-Fi was an additional $9.95 for the entire two-night stay, plus $1.29 tax. We didn't see a restaurant, bar or coffee counter in the hotel, but there's an Applebee's connected to the hotel. There is a food court in the casino right next to the hotel (about a five minute walk) with some good, budget-friendly choices for coffee, pastries and breakfast sandwiches, and other options for other meals.

Lancaster, Ohio
Reviewed June 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for three nights (arrived on Monday and left on Thursday). After reading some less than stellar reviews, I was a little worried. This hotel EXCEEDED OUR EXPECTATIONS. We reserved a King Suite Fallsview room. I contacted the hotel before our arrival and asked for the highest floor available.

When we arrived, the people at the desk were very friendly and willing to answer any questions. They put us on floor 20! (only 21 floors). We had the corner room which gave us double the windows (the casino and American falls on the left, and the most gorgeous view of the horseshoe and American falls from the main large windows.) We ended up spending alot of our time sitting in front of our windows having our meals right there. The room itself was large with two rooms and a jacuzzi. The location is absolutely perfect. Right across the street from the Cable cars that take you directly to the falls (though they were being worked on during our stay, hardly the fault of the hotel.) Its only a short walk to the falls.

The negatives were that you had to pay for wireless internet (who needs it when your at the falls?), the parking was great though you have to pay for it and if you leave during the day, you may find it difficult to find one when you get back, and the carpets in the hallways were a little dated but who cares when the room is so nice, the TV isnt flat screen, and has basic cable but again who cares we're there to see the falls.

The view from the room absolutely outdoes the small inconveniences of the negatives. We have stayed at hotels all across the USA from 4 star to local ones. The Oakes compares to some of the best we've stayed in. I highly recommend it. Ask for a room on the highest floor available, you won't regret the view.

Room Tip: Ask for highest room available. I'd say 10 or higher. Level 14 has an observation deck. We st...
1 Thank TimG001
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed three nights last week at this hotel in room 1819. We booked a Premium Fallsview Suite on floors 9 through 20. The view of both falls was incredible from the room. We were fortunate to see the fireworks display Sunday night in our room. The room was relatively clean and the beds were comfortable. My son complained about the TV (not flat screen and with limited channels), but I reminded him that we are not in Niagara Falls to see TV. My only concern was the temperature difference within the room. The area with the sleep sofa was much hotter than the area with the two double beds. Luckily, the temperature outside was hovering around 60s-70s Fahrenheit and it did not impact the children. However, it could become in an issue in hotter months. My children used the small pool every day and had no complaints. The parking does get filled up every night but there are some places in the front of the hotel to park. We found a Tim Horton in the food court at the Casino next door and did not eat at Applebees. I would book this hotel again if I want a falls view with an attractive rate. I would look around for other accommodations if I did not want a falls view.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We booked 5 months in advance and asked for a room on the highest level possible, we were lucky and had a room on the 20th floor. View's were amazing (see Pic), , our thanks to Melissa for arranging . However, be aware the rooms are quite small and your value comes from the best views at the falls. I was disappointed to find the hotel has only powdered Milk, is this a Canadian Thing???whilst we booked for 3 we only had amenities For 2 (shampoos, coffee Cup etc etc) )and the room could have had a bit closer attention to detail. Especially considering the room rate. Bath needed to be rinsed before we could use and there were dirty Brown marks on the toilet wall...we had a 2 night stay and was quite surprised to find that housekeeping did not service the room, instead they left clean linen at the door in a plastic bag. Seriously, And We Paid $220 Per Night..Finally, i found the check in receptionist, who appeared to be in charge quite rude in the fact that whilst serving Us she answered the Phoned (3 Times), ,spoke to other staff and at one point
simply walked away to a back area. Complete disregard for us as the guests she was dealing with and we all felt her attitude was below what you would think is acceptable. However i must say David the porter was fantastic.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at the Oakes Inn. We would love to return again. The view of the falls from out room was lovely. The parking was a little expensive and the reception staff not very friendly but everything else was wonderful!!

Room Tip: Higher floor better view