“Just ok”

Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls
Ranked #36 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Just returned from this place last night. It is a bit run down. the bedding needed to be replaced as you could see the dip in the matresses just looking at them. It was clean and in a fantastic location right across from the falls and the little cable car that takes you down to a viewing area. We bought a package from the travelzoo website for $190 that included breakfast at Rosies Diner (Good) and dinner at Remingtons steak house with shuttle service to the restaurant (excellent dinner). They also gave us a $50 casin credit for a casino on the New York side. They also gave us some vouchers for winery tours and shopping at some candy place which we did not use. Between breakfast, dinner, and the $56 bucks we won at the casino we were very satisfied. The area around the hotel seemed safe. Parking and hotel taxes add another $40 to your bill, but you will pay that at every hotel.
I dont think I would stay here again as I prefer my bed with a little less mileage on it. Someone told me that you can get virtually the same package in the Sheraton with a nicer room.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,096)

Reviewed July 14, 2012

I was just reading a bunch of other peoples reviews and I honestly don't know how anyone could say this hotel is fantastic! We arrived around 8pm and checked in but being we had reservations at Remington's we didn't go investigate the room until we got back about 10:15 pm. Remington's was fantastic, our waiter, Steve, was funny, attentive and the food is awesome there. I highly recommend the restaurant. Unfortunately, that's where my compliments of our "stay" end. When we got back to the room I was amazed at how outdated this place is. It has a big CRT television that only received about 4 fuzzy stations. The heart shaped Jacuzzi tub had yellowed around the jets. It's very high up and extremely awkward to maneuver yourself into it. In the bathroom right next to the toilet is where they set up your complimentary coffee.
The room was very hot and the air conditioner didn't seem to work. This hotel actually has a sign right in front that says something like best view guaranteed. Ummm no. We were on the 5th floor and there is no view of the falls. The view is really of the trees. This made me extremely cross being we paid extra for a "falls side" room. The bed had a dingy looking brown comforter that looked like it was quite old.
So unto the worst part of this visit. There is a horrendous odor in the room. We think it was coming from the area that was facing the tree view. There are 2 arm chairs there and heavy drapes. The arms of the chairs were actually black with dirt.
We were lying in bed trying to sleep and I looked at my husband and told him I wanted to go home. I said I'm hot and I cannot sleep with that smell, he said let's go then. Luckily, we live across the border so it wasn't a far drive, but I thought of people that were on vacation and how they wouldn't be able to just leave and I felt bad.
We packed up our stuff and left at about 12 midnight. The guy working behind the counter was very apathetic nor apologetic to the situation. He said that he could have someone go and spray the room. Spray the room with what?!?!? Then he said that he could give us a room on the 2nd floor. Ya cause the view was so spectacular from the 5th floor, I'm sure those trees are even better closer. So all in all we were in the hotel for less than 2 hrs and we fled. This hotel is outdated and they seriously have some nerve calling probably most of their lower level rooms fallsview. I called the next day and was lectured that I should have stayed and spoke to a manager the next day and she might have done something to accommodate our displeasure, since they have no management working overnight. I don't know what part of the room smelled disgusting and was extremely hot was missed. All in all it cost me about $220 for my package, parking, and taxes, which really ended up being more like a $220 meal since we were only in the hotel for 2 hrs.
I would not at all suggest this place to anyone. In May we stayed at the Hilton which is right near this hotel. Do yourself a favor and stay there. It is night and day compared to the Oakes.

3  Thank jenjencal
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The hotel was brilliant clean and welcoming fantastic veiw of the falls beds were comfortable bathroom was nice also staff wonderful from the entrance to the bedroom everything was awsome applebees was the bar diner what was attached to the hotel the food was fantastic staff friendly only downfall there was no free internet access but apart from that 1st class :)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2012

My husband and I took my mother in law and father in law to Niagara Falls for her 60th birthday. We got an amazing deal with the Oakes hotel that included a night's stay with dinner at Remington's steakhouse, wine tastings at several vineyards in Niagara on the lake as well as a voucher for $50 for Seneca Casino. The hotel room was very nice, comfortable beds and clean. We had a great night's sleep as it was really quiet. The front desk staff were efficient and very very helpful. We would definitely come back again. The location is spectacular with amazing views of the Canadian and American falls.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Chrissyrich
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Let me first start by saying I received a loyalty mailer from the OAKES and decided to spend two nights with the package. 2 dinners at remmingtons, 4 breakfasts at Applebees and $100.00 spending money at Senaca in June. We really enjoyed our stay. All of the above was exceptionally reasonable. Stayed on the 8th floor, great views. Staff were very courteous and helful. You are literally 3 minutes walk to the casino, what more could you ask for. Will recommend this Hotel to friends and family. Will not hesitate to stay again, as a matter of fact we are going again in August for two nights with the same package.

Room Tip: higher floors have a great view of the falls and surrounding areas
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2012

a Fantastic Hotel, we were so pleased!! and will return again on special occassions, anniversary and birthdays, etc. We really enjoyed our stay, and we would reccommend this hotel to everybody!!. you will not be dissapointed, any bad reviews for this hotel, and you have to wonder these people are too hard to please!! and we have been travelling for years, this is the top of our list!! you feel like Royalty staying here!!!!!!!!

Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed at the Oakes Hotel overlooking the falls in June to celebrate our anniversary. We usually go to the falls in the winter so we paid a lot more for this room than we usually do but it was still much cheaper than other fallsview hotels in the area. Our room on the 22nd floor on the end closest to the falls had an excellent view and was very clean and comfortable. The hallways however are looking very worn and in need of updating. Our meal at Applebee's on Saturday night was very dissapointing. We have ate there before and I wasn't expecting much but this time it was just plain bad. There are many excellent restaurants in the area that are well worth the short walk. I would avoid the courtyard rooms, they look pretty bad more of a place for young people to crash after a night on the town. All in all if you are looking for a no frills hotel in a great location with an awesome view this is the spot.

Room Tip: higher floors have a better view of the falls. Avoid courtyard rooms at all cost
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple