“Enjoyed our stay”

Ranked #94 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Durham, United Kingdom
“Enjoyed our stay”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We booked this hotel through Expedia and at the time of booking had the choice of many, as all reviews were similar for two star accommodation we decided to go with this one. We checked in at 12noon and the receptionist was very friendly he asked us if we wanted a ground floor room or a first floor room. We chose first floor to avoid the noise of other guests walking around above us. Overall the room was without odour and the carpets and curtains were of decent quality. There were one or two scuffs on the walls and the bathroom was dated but it was clean. The beds were clean and comfortable and the maid service was good, each day we were given clean towels, and the soaps, shampoo, tissues etc. were replenished. The only problem we had with the room was the TV channels were basic and we thought ten dollars a night to rent a fridge was over the top especially if guests are staying for more than a couple of nights. The continental breakfast was good consisting of coffee, fruit juice, cereal, porridge, diced fruit, brown or white toast, waffles and a selection of muffins and pastries. All were fresh, tasty and plentiful, for those who want a cooked breakfast there is a Tim Horton's and a family restaurant/café' selling cooked breakfast specials for around $2.99 across the street. There were times when it was a little noisy but this was Fri and Sat night. We put this down to people being on holiday having a late night. All of the time we stayed there we didn't feel unsafe or see anything which made us feel uncomfortable.

A car is needed to go to the falls as it is to far to walk, there is a bus going from Lundy's lane staff were helpful with times.

We have been spending our holidays taking road trips around the USA and Canada for twenty years and have stayed in hotels/motels owned by various chains. For the price we paid we would say this accommodation was value for money especially with free breakfast and parking. In the past we have paid more money for similar accommodation. We would recommend it for value

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room to avoid noise from overhead guests
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Woodbridge
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I booked the hotel (non-smoking room) thru Expedia and checked in around midnight. The check-in process took half-hour despite having reservations and the res # handy. The receptionist was on the phone throughout the check-in process despite being late at night. I was asked to sign a form that stated a fine of $250.00 if we smoked in the room - no issues there since I was checking into a non-smoking room.

We finally checked in only to find the room reeking of cigarette stench! We could hardly breathe... I went back to the receptionist and asked to be switched to a non-smoking room as per my reservations. I was made aware that this was the last room, and the facility is a non-smoking property. I asked as to why the room was stinking and was informed that some guests still smoke in rooms and its difficult to enforce.

We had no other choice but to stay since I couldn't find any vacancy at other hotels. I had to keep the windows open and AC at full blast and yet we could not sleep the whole nite!

Next day during the check out, the morning receptionist asked me about our stay and I voiced my dissatisfaction. He informed of the hotel policy of not holding the rooms after midnight!!! I asked him where was it stated and he said it's just there! I did not agree with him as I could not find the policy anywhere - Expedia.ca, hotel website or on the property and asked him to stop making up instant policies.

In the end, he asked me if there was anything he could do to make it up and I mentioned the only thing he could do was to refund me... which he obviously declined! We left...

Advice: Confirm your reservations with the hotel after booking with Expedia, chances are you won't get the room you reserved!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

2 Thank habibullah
HojoExpress_Niagara, Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Niagara Falls, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
I would like to first and foremost apologize for your experience staying at our Howard Johnson. It is the intention of our ownership group that guests have a great experience at our property, and I am truly sorry that this was not the case. I would also like to thank you for providing us with specific and valuable feedback. This helps us improve in the right areas and find out the reasons behind the complaint.
Firstly, I would like to let you know if you make a reservation and guarantee it with your credit card we will hold the room for the entire night until check out the next morning. I apologize for the miscommunication by our front desk.
Secondly, although our property is 100% non-smoking- some of our guests have violated this policy in the past. We do have a strongly enforced $250 fee for non-compliance. Although typically we would change your room immediately upon notification of the smoking smell - since there was no rooms available the date of your stay we were unable to do so.
Please contact me directly at (905)358-9777 and I would like to discuss the matter further with you.
Howard Johnson Express Management
Syracuse, New York, United States
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Motel is clean, bed comfortable and jacuzzi tub worked nicely!! The staff is very friendly with a decent continental breakfast included in the price! Best thing is that they allow our dogs! Would recommend to our friends!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple