“Dirty, smelly and unsafe”

Howard Johnson Express Inn - Niagara Falls
Ranked #95 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
“Dirty, smelly and unsafe”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The beds had stains the ac units were very loud. The wi fi code they give doesn't work. The rooms smell bad. The smoke alarms are NOT functional. The front desk is useless and have an excuse for everything. never a manager on site. Far from the falls as well.

Would not recommend. Pay a bit more for a lot more closer to the falls.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Rich1355

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Midwest
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I am not a frequent reviewer, but had to chime in after our recent visit to Niagara Falls. Any positive reviews for this hotel are difficult to believe after spending two nights here.

- The room was as dirty and run down as any place we have visited in North America (Check out the pictures of the mold in the faucet handle and on the bathroom ceiling).
- The walls are thin enough that the foul mouthed guests outside our room smoking until late in the night were able to teach our young children a few new swear words.
- The front desk was inconsiderate, calling us at 11:30 PM to ask us a question about our bill.
- The breakfast was pitiful.

On the bright side, the room and the atmosphere at the hotel was so bad that it kept us out seeing the sights and hiking along the falls and river. Everyone should visit Niagara Falls, but no one should ever have to stay in a hotel that cares so little about its guests.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Fish0utawater
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I frequently stay at this establisment as it is directly across the street from ours and it has always been super clean, beds are comfortable, service is immaculate and the Indian restaurant is authentic and very tasty. I would recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed June 17, 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel a couple months back based on a very good price, reviews from this site, and the fact that Howard Johnson is a well known chain. However. As soon as we pulled up my husband looked terrified. He is not an avid traveller and was not prepared for what we would find in this hotel.

Check-in went smoothly. We returned to our vehicle and went to move it closer to our room. While we were doing so we saw two girls in hooker boots and short shorts walk across the lot and knock on a door upstairs---he was convinced they were prositutes. Not a good first impression. We went into our room which had old dirty carpets, stained comforters, cigarette burns on the chairs, and a big smear of what we hope was ketchup on the wall. It was also so hot in the room I thought I would pass out. We had prepaid for four nights and my husband, who is self-proclaimed the cheapest man on earth was willing to throw away the prepayment and find somewhere else to stay. I convinced him to shut up, lay his head down, and go to sleep.

The following night we returned around 11 pm in the pouring rain and climbed the stairs to our room with our arms loaded down with stuff. We had to pass between two guys smoking pot on the shared balcony to get to our room. When we tried to open the door, the key cards woudl not work. After a couple of tries, the gangsters came over to help us. Finally we decided it was a fruitless effort and that we would go to reception. My husband said "I'll go do it, you stay here'. Well there was no way in HELL I was staying there by myself with these two guys. The girl at the desk asked what room we were in, recoded our cards and never once checked our names to make sure that was actually our room.

The following evening we returned to a cop car puling out of the lot...
The morning we were checking out we went to the front desk to do so. We stood in the lobby for 10 minutes waiting for someone to come to the desk. Finally another guest went outside to where the lady was smoking and said "There's someone in here who needs you". She came in and did the check out and then told us "OH! I cleaned your room! I hope you were satisfied with the job I did!" It took every ounce of reserve in me not to make a comment on the ketchup that had been on the wall for four days!

The free breakfast was pathetic. The juice was warm, the coffee urn was empty, and the muffins were hard. We visited one out of the four morning and the rest went to the Tim Hortons across the street. The only thing that made sleep possible over the noise of the partying going on throughout the motel was the fact that the airconditioner had to run straight time so as not to melt, and it made such a nois that it drowned out the noise outside.

There is no way I would ever in my life stay at this hotel again, and was actually terrified because we had pre booked another HoJo for later in the week!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank lacreview
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I had a great experience at this hotel. Affordable and clean! The customer service and room service was exceptional and I have recommended this hotel to my friends. I had a great night's rest and was thankful to receive help from the front desk on the best locations to get sight-see.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Adie M
michigan
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I recently stayed at the Howard Johnson Express Inn in Niagara Falls On. It was a great experience. the Staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were basic but they were clean and comfortable. The hotel was close to the falls, and there was a tim hortons right across the street! (that was a bonus for us). The price was great, very affordable. Because we saved so much on the room, we were able to spend more when we did tourist things. they have a restaurant on site, that was convenient for us and the kids. Food was good and prices were reasonable. I would definitely stay here again and Recommend it to my friends. It is very family friendly. There are other hotels down the street that might be cheaper, we looked at them, but they weren't very clean and didnt look family friendly. This was a good choice.

Room Tip: You can take the bus and it saves on parking. Its really convenient and comes often. and stop right...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mary g
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Stayed here in June 2012, booking two nights at about $165. We were looking forward to it based on the online pictures and that it had a pool. The room smelled terrible, the bathroom was particularly bad, with a cigarette smoke smell so strong I almost threw up every time I went in. The toilet was blocked at check in so that it almost overflowed when I tried to flush the toilet paper that was in it before we got there. The carpet was disgusting and made my kids' feet black. The TV did not work at all - could not even turn it on. The pool was not filled and the surroundings look dilapidated. Outside every room was a #10 can for cigarette butts - classy. The room also had a wet dog smell. We got in too late to be able to change rooms that night and we thought we could deal with it for the price. When getting into bed I noticed the bottom sheet was actually a top sheet too small to tuck in. It scared me that I might inadvertently touch the sick mattress if I rolled while sleeping. Not to worry though - I couldn't sleep because the drunk party next door and outside was so loud, with foul language, fireworks etc. I tried to be patient and only complained to the front desk on the decades old phone after midnight. They got the party to quieten down for about 30 minutes, then it started up again. After four complaints to the front desk the police finally showed up at 6:15am to evict the party. The officer told me that the hotel should have called after my second complaint (3am) at the latest, instead of waiting until 6. While watching the action from my window I smelled urine and thought my kids might have wet the bed. After checking and finding them dry I realized the curtains smelled like urine. The bathroom smelled even stronger of smoke than the night before. The breakfast was pitiful - we got there first thing and most of it was gone because there was not much to begin with. The "fruit juice" was nasty. While walking to breakfast I saw some sterotypical crack addict type trying to kick in a door because the tenants wouldn't answer. I talked to one other similar looking female who was pregnant and smoking in her doorway ina tank top. She claimed that they didn't hear the party last night because they had left, but the guys had broken in their room and trashed the place (cut up the vinyl covers on furniture - I saw it), and used needles for drugs and left them there. She said she knew they were not her needles because she didn't do those kinds of drugs. I think they were her needles. Her boyfriend was sitting in the car smoking and would burst out expletives to himself every now and then. Beer bottles and trash were everywhere on the ground. When I asked to speak the manager to arrange to leave early and reduce our rate he was not there. Apparently he was not going to be in until 10:30, which was just wasting my vacation time. I talked to him on the phone and he had some excuse for every complaint like "the pool is seasonal" (It's June!), or "you should have told us the room was dirty at check in". Anyway, I told him it was unacceptable and insisted that we get a refund for the next night because we were leaving, and that $40 was a fair price for the night we did stay. I think I was excessively generous. He did not try to negotiate up and we got the refund. I thnk he knew he was getting a good deal at $40. My daughter felt unsafe, so did I. This place should be razed.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else - we moved to the nearby (and fairly new) Best Western and it was heaven by comp...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family