“Stay away! Highly unknowledgeable and unprofessional staff!”

Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls
Ranked #19 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 13, 2011

If you really want to know what attractions to see in Niagara Falls DO NOT STAY in that hotel!!

Last weekend we went for a two-night stay to Niagara Falls with my family that was visiting from Europe. The night of our arrival the hotel receptionist sold us 4 Winter Magic Passes. Each included admission to: Niagara's Fury, Niagara's Butterfly Conservatory, and Journey Behind the Falls.The receptionist DID NOT mentioned however, that Butterfly Conservatory is CLOSED!! We found out about it as we were entering the Journey Behind the Falls the next day...
When we finally came back to the hotel around 5pm and ask the receptionist why he had not informed us that the Conservatory is closed he said that he had just come back from one-week vacation and he did not know...We found this to be a really poor explanation, considering the fact that (as we found out later) that place had been closed since January the 10th!! When we called a manager and ask for a refund they guy said that he cannot reimburse us as we used 2 out of 3 tickets on the pass....and that he does not always know whether or not different attractions are open....(If I was a Hotel Manager I would actually be ashamed to admit something like this...!!!) Then he said that instead of Conservatory we could go and see the Skylon Tower. When we told him that we had already been there that day and that we were leaving the next morning, they guy said that there was nothing he could do....

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT HOTEL!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank mwwChicago_Illinois
HJ Manager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2011

Thank you for informing us of the information where we may improve our customer service. I aplologize that the agent did not inform you of the Conservatory closure at the time for their renovations. The attractions provider did make arrangements for an alternate venue during the conservatory closure. The passes are sold as a packaged discounted price for the three attractions combined withl many other discount coupons for other attractions included in the one time price. The passes are provided through the attractions provider as one price and unfortunately cannot be broken down or discounted if not fully utilized. We appreciate your input, positive or negative it provides us the opportunity to improve our service for future guests. Once again I thank you for the information and do apologize that we could not provide you with a more satisfactory outcome. Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson.

There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls

Reviewed January 31, 2011

Hojo by the fall accomadted us last minute as we needed to move from another hotel due to mold and the room being freezing at the other Hotel. I was near tears calling around looking for a clean and warm hotel with my 4 year old who has Cystic Fibrosis.

Once there I felt comfortable, great packages, clean rooms and attentive Front Desk Staff. Saw the Greg Frewin Magic Show, was fantastic!

We paln on several trips this summer to the falls and will go back to Hojo by the falls!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank tcole2
HJ Manager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay. I am pleased to hear that we were able to meet your expectations and that you had a good time. We look forward to the opportunity of having you stay with us again when you are visiting Niagara Falls. Thank you for your patronage of Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls.

Reviewed December 30, 2010

Very last minute, my boyfriend his best friend and I decided to go on a trip to Niagara. My boyfriend decided he really wanted to do the whole heart shaped tub thing so he booked the room at the Howard Johnson.

When we arrived at the hotel the staff were kind enough to allow us an early check in but we needed to wait an hour for the room to be cleaned which was fine. Once we got into the room we noticed the tub had a very weird white film in it, we called down and they sent the cleaning staff back up to address it. We booked a room with a king size bed and the bed in the room was very clearly a Queen. I think it was advertised incorrectly. When I laid on the bed I noticed the ceiling was mirrored. Which was a bit of a surprise....a funny surprise.
When we returned to the room in the evening we noticed that the ceiling was leaking. Which is around the time that I wanted to check out. We were moved to another room where the ceiling didn't leak and the there was no white film in the tub.

In the morning I really wasn't all that interested in having a shower...the shower kind of scared me.

All in all, would I stay there again, no. The staff were nice, the room was clean (but felt dirty even though it was clean) The guys had a great time though and they would both stay again.

I think maybe the hotel was just a little dated for me?

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank SweetVanillaCSmooth
HJ Manager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to advise us how your stay was. I apologize that not everything worked out and there was a leak causing you to have to be moved. I can assure you that the beds in all of our deluxe suites are indeed a king size beds and not a queen. I am not exactly sure what you meant by the shower scaring you, it is a single person shower stall. Thank you for your comments about the staff and we would hope that you still might consider returning to visit with us again.

Reviewed November 18, 2010

If you want to stay close to Niagara Falls and attractions of this place this hotel is a good choice. You can reach both in a few minutes by walk.

The standard of room was good for this price.
There is nice but small swimming pool. I do not know if it standard but the water was very cold and chlorinated.
Frankly speaking not only swimming pool water is chlorinated but I suppose it is not hotel fault. So if you want to use coffee maker which is in the room I recommend not to use water from tap but buy fresh one.

Summarizing: if you want to spend nice time in Niagara Falls, be close to interesting places and not to spend a lot of money I really recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
HJ Manager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2010

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall. The pool is maintained at a temperature of 84F and is a chlorinated pool which is also monitored.. We look forward to the opportunity of having you stay with us again on your next visit to the Falls. Thank you for your comments and your patronage.

Reviewed November 14, 2010

The Great Falls are a walking distance apart. Courteous staff and efficiency personified. The Hotel is a maze of rooms, but two trips along teh coridoors establish familiarity. Breakfast not available but does not rankle as the location is in the heart of the town and eateries are next door. However, best part is the location from the falls.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
HJ Manager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2010

Thank you for your kind compliments. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to have you stay with us again on your next visit to Niagara. Thank you for your patronage of Howard Johnson.

Reviewed November 3, 2010

If you don't mind staying a few minute's walk from the falls, this is a really nice hotel for the price. The room was cleaned everyday and everything was in good condition. There was a pool that was partially outdoors and partially indoors that was well kept. Plenty of parking. We were able to walk most places, but there is a shuttle service available at no extra charge. This is a great hotel for families!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
HJ Manager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2010

Thank you for staying with Howard Johnson. We are pleased that you were so happy with your stay and our services. We look forward to the opportunity of having you stay with us again soon. Thank you for your patronage of Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls.

Reviewed October 18, 2010

I'm going to say it the way it is. The staff was friendly from the first day we walked in. One night the gentleman with a goat Tee & glasses behind the counter who was on the phone with a potential customer apologized several times because I waited a couple minutes to ask a question. Also later that night the same gentleman looked up a comedy club 1st in his business book then online. The room was clean so was the bathroom. The only thing I can say was disappointing that the towels were a little rough & scratchy Also the seals on the window was cracked so condensation was built up and u couldn't see outside. As far as for people complaining about prices,... Yes it is food especially is expensive. Don't eat at AlMacs buffet yuk!!!!! Denny's had good food but expensive, Niagra Falls is to Canada what Times Square is to New York a tourist area. I stayed at Hojo's with my girlfriend for 5 days as a get away & I'm coming back in the summer of 2011 with my kids this time. Book online you get a better price but you won't be able to cancel it if you can't make it for any reason so be careful. Well till next time rather next vacation.

• Stayed: October 2010
HJ Manager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2010

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much. Your comments regarding the room issues have been passed on to the appropriate departments. We are happy to have you return and stay with us and anticipate the opportunity to provide you with another positive experience. Thank you for your continued support of Howard Johnson now and in the future.