“mirrored ceiling.....oh my”

Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls
Ranked #16 of 127 Hotels in Niagara Falls
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 30, 2010

Very last minute, my boyfriend his best friend and I decided to go on a trip to Niagara. My boyfriend decided he really wanted to do the whole heart shaped tub thing so he booked the room at the Howard Johnson.

When we arrived at the hotel the staff were kind enough to allow us an early check in but we needed to wait an hour for the room to be cleaned which was fine. Once we got into the room we noticed the tub had a very weird white film in it, we called down and they sent the cleaning staff back up to address it. We booked a room with a king size bed and the bed in the room was very clearly a Queen. I think it was advertised incorrectly. When I laid on the bed I noticed the ceiling was mirrored. Which was a bit of a surprise....a funny surprise.
When we returned to the room in the evening we noticed that the ceiling was leaking. Which is around the time that I wanted to check out. We were moved to another room where the ceiling didn't leak and the there was no white film in the tub.

In the morning I really wasn't all that interested in having a shower...the shower kind of scared me.

All in all, would I stay there again, no. The staff were nice, the room was clean (but felt dirty even though it was clean) The guys had a great time though and they would both stay again.

I think maybe the hotel was just a little dated for me?

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank SweetVanillaCSmooth
HJ Manager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to advise us how your stay was. I apologize that not everything worked out and there was a leak causing you to have to be moved. I can assure you that the beds in all of our deluxe suites are indeed a king size beds and not a queen. I am not exactly sure what you meant by the shower scaring you, it is a single person shower stall. Thank you for your comments about the staff and we would hope that you still might consider returning to visit with us again.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,634)

Reviewed November 18, 2010

If you want to stay close to Niagara Falls and attractions of this place this hotel is a good choice. You can reach both in a few minutes by walk.

The standard of room was good for this price.
There is nice but small swimming pool. I do not know if it standard but the water was very cold and chlorinated.
Frankly speaking not only swimming pool water is chlorinated but I suppose it is not hotel fault. So if you want to use coffee maker which is in the room I recommend not to use water from tap but buy fresh one.

Summarizing: if you want to spend nice time in Niagara Falls, be close to interesting places and not to spend a lot of money I really recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
HJ Manager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2010

Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall. The pool is maintained at a temperature of 84F and is a chlorinated pool which is also monitored.. We look forward to the opportunity of having you stay with us again on your next visit to the Falls. Thank you for your comments and your patronage.

Reviewed November 14, 2010

The Great Falls are a walking distance apart. Courteous staff and efficiency personified. The Hotel is a maze of rooms, but two trips along teh coridoors establish familiarity. Breakfast not available but does not rankle as the location is in the heart of the town and eateries are next door. However, best part is the location from the falls.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
HJ Manager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2010

Thank you for your kind compliments. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to have you stay with us again on your next visit to Niagara. Thank you for your patronage of Howard Johnson.

Reviewed November 3, 2010

If you don't mind staying a few minute's walk from the falls, this is a really nice hotel for the price. The room was cleaned everyday and everything was in good condition. There was a pool that was partially outdoors and partially indoors that was well kept. Plenty of parking. We were able to walk most places, but there is a shuttle service available at no extra charge. This is a great hotel for families!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
HJ Manager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2010

Thank you for staying with Howard Johnson. We are pleased that you were so happy with your stay and our services. We look forward to the opportunity of having you stay with us again soon. Thank you for your patronage of Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls.

Reviewed October 18, 2010

I'm going to say it the way it is. The staff was friendly from the first day we walked in. One night the gentleman with a goat Tee & glasses behind the counter who was on the phone with a potential customer apologized several times because I waited a couple minutes to ask a question. Also later that night the same gentleman looked up a comedy club 1st in his business book then online. The room was clean so was the bathroom. The only thing I can say was disappointing that the towels were a little rough & scratchy Also the seals on the window was cracked so condensation was built up and u couldn't see outside. As far as for people complaining about prices,... Yes it is food especially is expensive. Don't eat at AlMacs buffet yuk!!!!! Denny's had good food but expensive, Niagra Falls is to Canada what Times Square is to New York a tourist area. I stayed at Hojo's with my girlfriend for 5 days as a get away & I'm coming back in the summer of 2011 with my kids this time. Book online you get a better price but you won't be able to cancel it if you can't make it for any reason so be careful. Well till next time rather next vacation.

• Stayed: October 2010
HJ Manager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2010

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much. Your comments regarding the room issues have been passed on to the appropriate departments. We are happy to have you return and stay with us and anticipate the opportunity to provide you with another positive experience. Thank you for your continued support of Howard Johnson now and in the future.

Reviewed September 19, 2010

We usually go to Niagara Falls twice as yr for a mini-getaway. Our choices are limited as we travel with our dog & want a clean place in a great location for a reasonable price so we decided to go back to Howard Johnson as were happy with our stay the first time we were there before.
We arrived ~10pm & service was surprisingly un-friendly. We didn't feel welcome. It was really noisy for a few hrs in the early am but eventually quieted down. 2nd night was a lot more quiet & relaxing.
The hotel has been nicely renovated to look more modern. The mattress was very comfortable - like sleeping on a marshmallow.
Dogs must be out of the room during house keeping, so I requested a certain time that we were all out - they accommodated & we came back to a really clean & tidy room. It was wonderful meeting/talking to other people at the hotel with their dogs.
Manager Kevin checked us out - who was nice & friendly again (he helped us re-book our previous stay). I would have rated service much higher if it wasn't for the initial service we received.
Location's great - walking distance to the Falls, Clifton Hills. Lots of restaurants.
With a few negatives this stay but more positives, we'll still come back someday.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VegTravelor

Thank you for your continued patronage of Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls. We are happy to have you back staying with us again. I am sorry that the initial service was not as friendly as it should have been, we will review your comments with the department manager and staff. Thank you for your valuable input as it assists us in improving our services to all of our guests. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall and look forward to the opportunity of having you return as our valued guest soon.

Reviewed September 8, 2010

Having stayed at a couple of properties in Niagara Falls a few years back, I was aware that the hotel standards here weren't anything to rave about so we only booked one night here and arrived without too many expectations. However this hotel was clean and relatively comfortable, if a bit dated. We booked a family suite which gave us 3 double beds - but the arrangement was a little weird - when you went into the room there was the first bedroom with one double bed and the bathroom door. A further door led into the main hotel room which was of standard 2 double bed configuration. This meant that the people sleeping in the other part had almost no privacy as the others had to come through it to use the bathroom or go out of the suite. We had a balcony with views of the Skylon tower and town though I would keep this locked if you have young children. There was a lovely clean (but unheated) swimming pool arranged partly indoors and partly outdoors so you could choose whether you wanted to be in our out. There was a little slide for the kids but the side of the pool was so slippery that I would beware of allowing your children to constantly get in and out of the pool as they would with a slide. There was a lovely large bubbly hot tub and a sauna next to it. Shops and restaurants are on the doorstep - Clifton Hill is just around the corner - and there is about a 10-15 minute walk down to the falls though beware, it is uphill all the way back!
Although we checked out before 11am the staff said it was OK to leave the car in their car park until 4pm that afternoon, at no extra cost so we left it there and walked down to the falls.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank JoH1967
HJ Manager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2010

We appreciate the time you took to advise us of your insights to our property. Thank you as these insights provide management with a unique view as to how our guests perceive our property The hotel recently underwent major renovations to many of the rooms and common areas, everything from carpets to wallpaper to new linens and window dressings. All rooms are equipped with queen or king beds as that is our standard. Your room actually had three queen beds. The indoor pool is heated at all times and regulated at a temperature of approximately 84 F at all times. We do offer the extended parking as a courtesy when possible if the guest needs to see more of our fair city. We are glad to hear you had a pleasant stay and we be pleased to have you stay with us again when in the Falls, thank you.