“A basic hotel”

Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls
Ranked #19 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 3, 2010

We booked our stay at this hotel via the internet reservations website. The day before we arrived we contacted the hotel by phone to confirm our reservations. We were repeatedly placed on hold for extended periods of time. When we finally spoke to a representative they had us booked for a standard room instead of the jacuzzi room. Two subsequent calls finaly corrected the problem. Each call was answered by a different person. I am fortunate that I confirmed the reservations the day before otherwise I feel we may have had issues when we arrived. I traveled with my wife and six year old son.

We visit Niagra Falls once a year and have stayed at this particual Howard Johnson on two previous occassions without problems. Upon arrival the front desk clerk checked us in quickly and effeciently. The room rates are reasonable. The room/property was clean and we had no issues during our two night stay. We did call the front desk to ask about the free pay-per view movie ordering process. They promptly advised they would send up a person to help right away. We cancelled the request after figuring out how to order the movie. Their prompt response to this minor issue was appreciated. The maids cleaned the room and restocked towels daily. The in room hot tub was clean and large. The room even had a fireplace. Our son loved the hot tub. The first floor pool/hot tub area was clean and fun. On premise parking is eight dollars per day. It is a small price to pay for parking convenience at this busy tourist destination. Be aware thay you may not find a parking space if you leave and return during the late evening hours. The parking lot fills quickly. The only real complaint we have is with the Denny's restaurant next door that is apparently affiliated with this hotel. The service is slow and the waiters/waitresses are not customer orientated. The food can only be described as bland tasting and overpriced.

Another problem free vist to Howard Johnson Hotel on Victoria Avenue Niagra Falls.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
HJ Manager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2010

Thank you for advising us of the concerns you had with the telephone response issues. Your commentary is an invaluable training tool that we will use for improving our telephone service. I am sorry that it did inconvenience you to have to make multiple calls. I am happy to hear that you did enjoy the rest of your stay again overall and will also forward your comments on to the Denny's management for review. We look forward to having you return to visit us again soon. Thank you for your patronage of Howard Johnson.

There are newer reviews for Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls

Reviewed August 2, 2010

I travelled to Niagara Falls with my daughter and booked to stay with Howard Johnson via the internet prior to arriving, now knowing a great deal about the area or the types of hotels available. On arrival, we were told about the additional charges for carparking, that there was no refrigerator in the room and the staff were so rude on checkin as they "were busy".Well hello people, you are in a very popular part of the world and you work in the hospitality industry so suck it up and do your job. First impression of the hotel were that it was in desperate need of a make over the floor coverings are something from the 60s and probably have not be changed in decades, the rooms were dirty, the beds poorly made and the towels were so old and rough that they were thread bare. Come on, for the rates you charge, never think that just because you are in a location that will attract visitors no matter what, that you can offer such poor services and poor facilities. I hope you wake up and when I return to Niagara, I have learnt to stay well away from the Howard Johnson. I think I'd rather stay sleep in the car.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to present your point of view. I am sorry to hear that your first impression of the Hotel was not a positve one and the service did not meet your standards. Your comments will be discussed with the department manager on how to improve the service. You are correct we do not carry fridges in our rooms, we do have a few on hand for those guests who wish to rent them for a small fee. All of our incidental costs including parking are posted on the websites and we advise the guests of the parking charge at the time of booking and again at check in. You should be aware that the Hotel has undergone extensive renovations in the last six months including all new carpeting and wallpaper in room and in the common areas, linens, tapistries and the bathrooms were all updated as well. As a regular traveller to the area you must be aware that the rates are competeive with many of the surrounding hotels and fluctuate subject to the demand. I am sorry that your your stay could not have been more positive but wish you well on your next stay in Niagara.

Reviewed July 27, 2010

My boyfriend and I have never stayed in a hotel that was as disgusting as this place. To top it off we stayed at the most expensive room with the Whirlpool tub and fireplace. We spent over 330 bucks for this room and honestly we should of just walked out as soon as we walked in. Apon walking into the room, the front light had no light bulb whatsoever. No biggie really until I walked into the bathroom and the toliet seat as well as inside was a flithy mess. Black crud filled the surface of the seat as well as inside the toliet. Aside from that they were generous enough to leave us with LESS than a quarter roll of toliet paper with NO EXTRA rolls. The Whirlpool tub also wasn`t clean. There was a film as well as creamy stains on the surface along with hair....and lets just say it wasn`t hair from a persons head. The comforter had multiple big red stains on it as well as a few light bulbs around the top of the bed were burnt out. At this point we were very unimpressed. We live 15 mins from the hotel and were staying there for a romantic evening which didn`t happen. My boyfriend made a complaint to the manager who was working the shift. The lady was not only rude about the situation but offered no compensation for our dissatifaction. She did however send someone up with 2 toliet paper rolls as well as providing us with a new comforter for the bed. Needless to say, we never did use the whirpool jacuzzi tub, nor did we spend much time in the room...just to sleep. The next morning, my boyfriend went to the front desk and spoke to another manager who was working and granted us 20% off our stay. This compensation was nothing for the amount of disgust and the amount we paid for the room but that was all the manager offered so we took anything we could get. We are honestly not big complainers, but really this room left us no choice but to. We both know now, why the Howard Johnson is called the HOJO. Enough said. Please comment if you have any questions or experienced the same thing. I do also have a video taken from my Blackberry phone if you wish to see it.
Also checking in as well as checking out took an easily 20 minutes each time...not the best service.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Courtney81

Thank you for taking the time to present your version of your stay in all its inconsistancies. I did have occasion to sit down with your boyfriend at check out and discuss the events of your stay. The only issue mentioned were of the stain on the comforter. a burnt out bulb. and a lack of the toilet paper as you indicated. Your boyfriend did advise me that the manager did have the issues corrected as soon as they were advised of the situation. None of the other issues were ever brought to bear in our discussion. We do try to work with the guest and provide a reasonable solution including compensation or relocation if necessary. Your boyfriend did agree that the 20% discount would be reasonable and we therefore settled on this amount. If there were indeed other issues it would have been the opportune time to discuss them when we were talking I apologize that you consider the compensation unreasonable but the staff did react promptly when called upon and your boyfriend did indicate he believed he was receiving fair compensation. Though you may not agree we thank you for choosing Howard Johnson.

Reviewed July 26, 2010

The hotel was great, I would recommend million of times. We ended up having an upgrade to the honeymoon suite with the heart shaped jacuzzi and paid the same price. My 5 year old loved the pool and the hottub! the location couldn't be any better: right outside the main attarctions area. Since we had to pay 8 dollars a day for parking in the hotel, we walked to all attractions. Evereything is a walking distance so it was not bad at all! The room was very clean and we had towel service every morning, bathrooms were clean, room quite big, great for families with children.Unfortunately there was no breakfast included but Denny's is right in the parking lot( however very expensive, the same dish I had in Canada was 3 times more than what I had in the New York side). I can't wait to come back to Niagara falls and Howard Johnson will definitely be my choice again! I was very impressed!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
HJ Manager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2010

Thank you for your valuable insights regarding your recent stay at the Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls. It gives us great pleasure to hear when guests have enjoyed their stay so much and are so elated with the ammenities of the Hotel. While we acknowledge that the tourist area can be more expensive in some cases we would hope that it played only a minor detail in your overall stay as there is so much to see and do in Niagara Falls. We look forward to the opportunity of impressing you with same level of service or exceeding it on your next stay. Thank you for your patronage of Howard Johnson and come again soon.

Reviewed July 12, 2010

We visited Niagara Falls with our two kids, aged 16 months and 3 years old and the grandparents. We booked two rooms at the Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls, thinking that it would be a decent hotel - we only planned to sleep there, after all.

When we arrived the front desk staff was unfriendly from the very beginning - not a smile or a warm word. The staff member checking in the grandparents was slow; the girl who checked us in was at least efficient but no friendlier than the others. We stopped to ask the concierge a question about the shuttle bus. She was quite unhelpful and had to ask the front desk staff how often the shuttle ran. Pretty basic information, I'd say.

When we got to our rooms, they were pretty basic and I hadn't expected anything otherwise. However, the bathroom in our room was pretty gross and smelled overpoweringly like urine. The pull for the sink plug was broken and the part that attached the bar to the pull was on the counter. The bathroom in the grandparent's room was a bit better - only a slight undertone of urine. I informed the front desk staff and asked for a thorough cleaning. Not sure if it was ever done but the odour sure didn't improve.

The beds were OK - not great but not horrible. The view was not good but like I said, we were only going to sleep there. There was quite a bit of hallway noise and the grandparents in the adjoining room could clearly hear the baby when he cried in the night so the sound attenuation was not stellar.

When we checked out, we again informed the front desk staff about the odour in the bathroom and the broken sink. The female staff member just looked at us and said, "OK." No thank you, no apology, nothing...

All in all, I would not recomment this hotel to a friend. It was the first time I'd stayed at a Howard Johnson and frankly, I wouldn't stay at another after this experience.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for advising the management of your concerns regarding your recent stay. We try to be dilligent in meeting and exceeding the guest expections and in your case we did not succeed. I apologize for the lack of service you received as that is not what we as management expect from our staff. I have reviewed your comments with the department heads in the hopes of remedying this type of customer service as it is not acceptable. We appreciate your coming forth and letting us know where we may improve our service to you the guest. Once again my sincere apologies for the lack of service you received and failing to meet your expectations, we would hope you mighrt consider returning and allowing the staff and Hotel the opportunity to redeem ourselves in providing a more positive experience.

Reviewed July 8, 2010

I booked our 4th of July stay on-line and included the wine tour package. Booking was smooth. Also a week or so ahead of time we received a call from Fernando to make our wine tour reservations. This was helpful. Front desk staff were friendly, check-in and check-out went smoothly.

Room was nice, nothing extremely fancy, we booked the jacuzzi suite. All the mirrors were a bit gaudy, but oh well ;) Shower stall was EXTREMELY small with no real flat surfaces to sit your toiletries without them falling over. (Bad marks there, in my opinion) I think I would rather of had a balcony room with a view, instead of the jacuzzi. Oh and yes, add the fridge. I don't think they should charge extra for it. I really liked the little sofa in the room for comfy book reading during our "rest stops" while my husband watched TV. Housekeeping was alway right there on duty in the morning, one morning even asking if they could freshen our room as we were leaving for breakfast!

I think a little more detail could be provided at the "concierge" about shuttle such as routes and times, we found the shuttle not very helpful, much more convenient to walk. The one time we used it, we definitely waited longer than the designated "30 minutes" before it arrived and then it seemed to go around to several different locations that we didn't know about. I think we were on it for about 45 minutes from HoJo to Embassy Suites where it stopped and then just "hung out" - no explanation from driver, who I think was going off-duty? and another coming on? We decided to ditch the shuttle and use the Falls Incline Railway. Probably wasted a good hour or more and didn't really get anywhere.

Overall, location of hotel was very good - within walking distance of all the "tourist trap" gameland, carnival midway type stuff if you are in to that. Location was great for the various restaurants and proximity to the Falls. We like to walk so we hardly used the car.

Wine tour package - I would not recommend, unless you just want someone to drive you to a couple of wineries to taste a couple wines. There was only a tour at one of the three stops and the region's specialty "ICEWINE" was only offered at two. The other one offered it if you paid for it. You can get a car for the day and drive yourself to visit many of the wineries on a self-guided tour and get a whole lot more out of it, in my opinion. The pick-up and drop-off at the hotel made it convenient.

The Breakfast and Dinner vouchers that were included with our package were a nice touch and we certainly took advantage of them.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your valuable input regarding the services within our hotel and the additional services we have on hand for the guests. We are pleased to hear that the package did provide some positive benefits for you. We will take your comments under advisement and share them with our partners who run the tour desk, shuttle service, and the wine tour. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope that you would return to try one of our many other packages available to our guests. Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls.

Reviewed June 21, 2010

This hotel exceeded my expectations. We stayed for 3 nights for Memorial day weekend, and found the location, the rooms, the amenities, perfect for our family. The hotel is on the main strip surrounded by small shops and restaurants, yet about 3 blocks from the craziness of Clifton Hill. We walked everywhere which is a huge plus. We had a balcony room, and I requested the top floor - we all watched fireworks from the balcony it was great (you cannot see the falls, but the view of all the attractions and the sky wheel is awesome). The room is spacious and clean, the 2 pools are large and well kept, fresh towels, sauna, showers, etc. The kids loved the slide, as did adults -even though sign says for kids only :). The front desk staff was 5-star. Parking is $8 per day, but totally worth it. Make sure to get a balcony room on the top floor, it is worth the extra $10.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for your very kind and valuable comments. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. I will be happy to pass along your comments to the staff and we hope that we will see you again soon, and that we may enhance your visit to Niagara Falls once more for you and your children. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest here at Howard Johnson.