Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls
GreenLeadersBronze level
Agra, India
“nice hotel”
Reviewed February 7, 2010

i am writing after a long time but we had a good time when we stayed at this hotel. while most of the time we were sight seeing it was a conveniently located hotel. the jacuzzi / hot tub was a little dirty from Hygiene point of view. The breakfast across at the Denny's was excellent. the rooms were spacious and good for a family of four and the bathrooms / shower were quite fancy.

• Liked — spacious rooms
  • Disliked — the Whirlpool was dirty
  • Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
HJ Manager, Hotel Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this review, March 25, 2010
Thank you for your patronage of Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls. We appreciate your input and will pass along your valuable insights onto the appropriate departments for improvement. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the spacious rooms and Denny's Restaurant. It would be our pleasure to have you come back to stay again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Hebrew first
Ohio
Reviewed January 29, 2010

My stay at HoJo by the Falls was great. The rooms were clean, well maintained, the staff were very curteous and welcoming. Seeing the reaction on my mate upon entering our room was priceless. Unfortunately the view from our bedroom window didn't provide a view of the falls but nevertheless I would most definitely return again. Did I mention the price was well worth the stay.
Thanks HoJo by the Falls for a pleasurable stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words about the facilities and the staff. It is always nice to hear how much guests have enjoyed their stay and the service provided to them. You are most welcome for the stay and we anticipate your return in the near future. Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls for your accommodation needs.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 21, 2010

This hotel is the 3rd dog-friendly hotel we've tried in Niagara Falls & we'll definitely come back. It's comfy, clean, great location - lots of restaurants nearby. We got a package deal that included meals. The staff was very helpful & accommodating of us & our dog esp Irena who took our initial reservation & manager Kevin who re-booked us a second night. Since we stayed an extra night than planned, the coin washer/dryer was very convenient on the 1st floor. Great location with 24 hr reception so I felt safe. It was nice to have an in room safe as not all hotels do. We'd like to try out the hotel amenities the nxt time we go back.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosining Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls. We are happy to hear that you and your little companion Tobey enjoyed the Hotel and our services. It is always a pleasure to assist guests where possible in making their stay more enjoyable. We look forward to having you return soon so that you may enjoy the other facilities and amentities you missed. Thank you for your continued patronage of our Hotel
Ontario
Reviewed January 10, 2010

I had been seriously considering going to this hotel for March break with my two girls, but after reading reviews about the manager charging a good customer who just spent over three thousand dollars there with a broken coffee pot even though the customer says they didn't break it has really shocked me.

And then the poor woman who had to comfort her crying little three year old boy all night at the hotel due to a concussion he got from slipping in the pool with no sense of concern from hotel staff is another shock to me at for the hotel staff's callousness. I do not want these things happening to me and ruining an expensive vacation. I want to have a good time with my two girls and not have bad memories to bring home of digusting ill-treatment or being treated like a liar.

“Average hotel - crappy treatment”
Howard Johnson Hotel By The Falls
GrrrCanada 1 contribution
Canada
Jun 12, 2009 | Trip type: Family This is the third year in a row we have taken the family to this hotel taking advantage of one of their packages. We need three rooms and the reasonable price makes the trip affordable for my student children. The hotel is average but fit our budget for a fun weekend.
Everything was fine until 2 weeks after returning home we received a letter informing us that they had charged our credit card $30 for a broken coffee pot.
My wife called and talked to a manager who said he would investigate and call her the next day. He did not call. My wife called and left messages for him for 2 days and finally got him on the third day. Basically, he said that there was nothing he could do. We said we did not break the pot. He said lots of people say they don't break things. So now we are liars as well. He was monotone and completely unsympathetic and obviously had no interest in any further business from us. So in return for our close to $3000 of business he was not willing to eat the cost of a coffee pot. I would like to see the receipt for the replacement cost of that pot. I find it hard to believe that the cost of the entire coffee maker is more than $10.
If you travel to this hotel, ask the desk to send someone up to inspect the room before you leave. Perhaps it is time to replace the TV in your room and they suddenly find it 'broken'!
My ratings for this hotel
Value Rooms Location Cleanliness Service
Date of stay May 2009
Visit was for Leisure
Traveled with Extended Family
Member since June 12, 2009
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend? No
View profile Send message Compliment reviewer Report Inappropriate Content
Management response from Kevin Liddle, Hotel Manager
(Management representative)
Jun 21, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns regarding Hotel policy for damaged or stolen items. I am sorry that you do not agree with company policy but if items are damaged or taken in the rooms the guest is liable. There is a cost to the Hotel when having to replace items that are damaged or taken during a guests' stay. To meet all guest expectations we maintain a standard to our room status for all amenities, if items were not replaced we could not meet the guest expectations. Rooms are inventoried and inspected upon check out after each guest stay and if any damage is done the guest is responsible for the replacement costs.'

disgusting!

Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
HJ Manager, Hotel Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this review, February 26, 2010
Thank you for your valuable insights to our Hotel. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that is of course subjective; however, there is always two sides to any situation. Perhaps had you heard both sides of the issue your decision might have been different. The staff did respond to the child incident and we did work with the other guest to provide a resolution. We are sorry to hear that your decision is based upon such limited information. Thank you for your comments.
toronto
Reviewed January 7, 2010

Lets start off by saying, I've payed big bucks to stay at 5 star hotels in niagara ...and yes they are lavish... but I hope they would be for hundreds upon hundreds a night!! Did I leave satisfied?? No.

The Howard Johnson by the falls on the other HAND. WOW..

CLEAN, CURTIOUS.... EXCELLENT, The best hotel by far. I won't go anywhere else.

It's close to EVERYTHING, steps away to clifton hill..
The staff is kind and helpful, THE RATES ARE AMAZING you can't go wrong.
I have also been bringing my small dog and they are so welcoming of him, I dont' feel like I have to sneak him. I pay $20 and they even provide doggy bowls if you need at the front desk.

The rooms are clean, the heart shaped jacuzzi rooms is the one I always get, and like I said. for the price you really can't go wrong, I refuse to go anywhere else.
and as a matter of fact I'm going again this month for my birthday.

THANKS HOJO!!!!

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your continued patronage of Howard Johnson. It is always a pleasure to hear how much a guest enjoys staying at our Hotel. We look forward to having you stay with us again and wish you many happy returns on your birthday!
Hamilton, Ontario
Reviewed December 26, 2009

I booked a reservation for Christmas months beforehand, explicitly filling in the information about my dog - this hotel is supposed to be pet friendly. When I arrived I was turned away because I had a dog and they had lost the information I gave them. Unfortunately, they had already swiped my Mastercard before turning me away. They front desk clerk and the manager told me that there would be no debit on my card (in fact, it is illegal for them to debit my card without my authorization). When I went to another hotel my card was declined because Howard Johnson HAD debited my card illegally. Do not stay here. They are thieves and liars.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
HJ Manager, Hotel Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this review, December 27, 2009
Thank you for your interpretation of our property, staff and policies. The Hotel is indeed a pet friendly property as it states in our website and does outline the requirements to allow pets to stay. The policy is quite clear in stating that we do accept pets under 25 pounds (basically the smaller breeds) and all pets must be presented at the time of check in at the front desk for verification. When you placed your reservation online it was done through our website directly which has all of our policies listed. The policy does clearly state that if these terms are not met we cannot honour the reservation. The agent did proceed to check you in and only after the check in process had been completed did you mention the fact that you had a dog with you. After you advised the agent that the dog was a full grown black Lab the manager spoke with you and made arrangements for you at the other Howard Johnson which has chosen to accept larger pets. The manager cancelled your reservation and did not charge you for the night stay. No funds were taken from your credit card, only a pre-authorization verifying the funds available to cover your stay with the hotel. Pre-authorizations typically drop within 3 - 5 business days if not used but the hotel must have verification that the credit card is valid for use which is quite legal as it is done in most hotels. I am sorry that you do not believe that the staff did their best to assist you. However, having stated that you asked about the pet charges in your reservation indicates that you were aware of the Hotel policies and still chose to bring your pet even though you knew the restrictions would not allow the stay. So long as the requirements are met we are more than happy to have your pets join you in staying at our property, thank you for choosing Howard Johnson.
Toronto
Reviewed October 1, 2009

What a time we had!! Arrived with another couple and were shown the utmost courtesy by desk staff and manager,Mr. Liddle. We headed for the hot tub and swimming pool and after a long drive it was really appreciated!! Rooms were clean and ammenities were provided without asking (wine glasses). Having food outlets within the premises were great after the SHORT walk to see the FAlls and the 15 minute walk to either casino!!! We were winners both at the casino and by staying at HOJO BY the Falls. Don't forget to get down and try the sauna and take a swim out into the open air and enjoy the stars!!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple