“the hotel was in a good location and the staff was friendly...”

Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls
Ranked #20 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
GreenLeadersBronze level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Hebrew first
Stayner
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Great Location. Covered parking. Very hot hot tub! Pool warm. Staff friendly. Food close by very expensive, but you can take your car! Otherwise, you can walk the main strip and to the falls if you like.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

1 Thank ButterlyLovers
HJ Manager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for the compliments, we hope you enjoyed you stay and look forward to the opportunity of having you stay with us again in the future. Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I called the hotel and they said the packages need to be booked online. I found the hotel after doing a search of - Howard Johnson's Romantic Packages -. There were good reviews on the website regarding the hotel (great service, nice staff, problems fixed ...) I called the number that was listed as I was having trouble with getting all the information about what was included. After talking to the customer care guy who convinced me of the 'great deal', I booked a room (at this hotel) that was supposed to have included a heart shaped hot tub. There was no indication that this was anything other than an agent working for Howard Johnson's. The cost that I paid was obviously more than a standard room, but this was for a special anniversary and an early Valentine's Day celebration. Customer care was having difficulty added the 'package' part and told me I could just add it at the hotel with no trouble. I was told that parking was free, that there were two breakfast vouchers and dinner vouchers (one each per day), passes for the transportation system and a basket with wine, chocolates.... with the room with the heart shaped jacuzzi and the total cost was $195.00. First of all, the hotel is not THAT close to the Falls (try a 40 min walk, 10 min car ride). When we arrived the hotel had us down for a 'standard' room. I spent over two hours on the phone trying to straighten this out, wasting time and putting a bad start on our 'romantic stay' at Hojo's. This is something I would expect the hotel to take care of rather than the guest doing so. In all my years as a host with a hotel in a major tourist area in Eastern Canada, I would never have allowed a guest to have this happen, instead, we would have just upgraded the room and worked it out later. There were probably no more than a dozen rooms in use (due to the season) and it would have cost the hotel nothing to fix the mistake. The fellow at the desk had us pay (a bit more than the promise amount) to add the romantic portion of the package. Customer care said that they could reimburse the money (within 7 days) if we wanted to pay the extra for the room we were supposed to receive, but seeing as I had already paid for it and now was being asked to pay for it again, (plus paying for the ;'free' parking and a hundred dollar deposit that was never mentioned anywhere on any site or by any person) and the fact that the vouchers don't really cover the cost of the meals, only help towards it, we did not have the extra money to pay for the room upgrade. It was clear that we had paid an extra amount and when you book this way you're supposed to be getting a better price, so there is no question about what our room should have been. We figured the hotel manager would do the right thing the next day and just move us to the room I booked. The room we were given, 633, (which is not even the same room that is on the hotel receipt that I have in my hand, the receipt says we were in room 626) had a bad smell and overnight there was no heat. [It seems now from other reviews on here, that that is a problem there]. When we spoke to Kevin the next day, he was not helpful in anyway. He blamed everything on the booking agent (who was working for Hojo's you would think seeing as they have them book rooms for them) and told us we were lucky that they were willing to sell us the package. Hey, they charged us more for the package than we were told it cost, so the end result is that they got more money than they should have. And when does a business turn down a customer paying to upgrade. My fiance told him he would post this all in a review and that he shouldn't be working as a manager. When we called Howard Johnson's head office, they called Kevin to ask if he would do something to resolve this, and he REFUSED. They said they would work on it over the next few days (too late for our once a year special getaway) and would get back to us. This, almost two weeks later, is still not resolved, and the person at head office (Polly) is now trying to say that we got what we booked even when I pointed out that we were charged a higher rate than a standard would cost. When we went for dinner at The Keg at The Marriot, we were chatting with the desk manager there. We gave him an overview of what had happened. He said 'of course, the room should be upgraed to the one that was booked' He would have done so without all the hassle... and he said that at this time of year, when none of the hotels are very busy that there should have been no problem doing so. Two final things... They never did fix the heat (even though they said they had, so we had a second cold night) and as we were checking out, Kevin (the manager?) made a comment about how packed the trunk of the car was and wise cracked about 'women' and how his wife packs way too much too, Nice attitude Kevin. We are STILL waiting for Howard Johnson's to resolve this. And I would regard the recent 'glowing report' of this location as a fabrication of a hotel employee. Yes, Raul and other desk people are nice, so is the housekeeper.. she was very friendly, but if you have an overseeing manager who has this kind of attitude, their hands are tied. I will consider updating or removing this review if the hotel steps up to the plate and RESOLVES this issue. Please feel free to send an email to see whether it gets done BEFORE you ever consider booking into this (or any) Howard Johnson's hotel. (Oh, and watch for the response from Kevin who will try to pretend that it is our fault.... and that he woked so hard to fix things rather than actually fixing it).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Aweekendaway2013
Eric M, Owner at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for offering your perspective on your recent stay as I can see that you posted your opinion twice now with regards to your recent visit and your Expedia reservation that you had made in error, Please understand that both ourselves and Expedia worked very diligently on this situation at that time to provide you with many reasonable and satisfying solutions to your situation which would ultimately have allowed you to enjoy your special trip and in the end would have cost you nothing more than what you had previously committed to in your original reservation that was made directly with Expedia and not the hotel directly. When rare situations like this do arise we do in fact work very closely with companies such as Expedia, Travelocity and Booking.com to name a few as they are in fact travel agents for most of the hotel properties worldwide and we typically get them on the phone while the guest is still right in front of us to ensure that the situation gets handled promptly and is in the guest best interest much the same way we did upon your own visit to the property. What I do find concerning is that you claim that you work in a hotel industry as a host, well then you should know well enough how all these business relationships work with these types of companies such as Expedia in which you booked directly with.
Again thank-you for your perspective and we had truly hoped that you would have been more receptive to the very reasonable offers put forth from both us as well as Expedia.
Guelph
Reviewed February 3, 2013

First of all, I accidentally booked the wrong date. I called the hotel when they sent me an email telling me they missed me (because I booked the day that I reserved). I spoke with Kevin, the manager. They had charged my credit card for a no-show. He gave us a room for the dates we were actually going be there and gave us the credit that they had already charged my credit card. We were given vouchers for dinner, lunch and breakfast for 2 mornings. We also wanted to go behind the falls and could purchase a pass which gave us entrance to 2 other places, the Butterfly Conservatory and Niagara's Fury. We had just been to a Butterfly Conservatory so we're not interested in that, however we would have liked to do Niagara's Fury, which was under construction and closed. The hotel did not inform us of this closure. The dinner voucher for TGI Fridays was great. Service there was good. The vouchers provided for Denny's are not worthwhile....only covered half of our breakfast plate and coffee, nothing special.....bacon, eggs, toast and homefries. Guess the HoJo doesn't care if you're happy with the restaurant they are partnering with.....we had the same experience here over 10 years ago. Our room was average, the furniture showed signs of wear/age. The tv remote didn't work well so we took it to the front desk and they sent a tech up to fix it. Worked great after that. Staff was friendly. We didn't use the pool. Tv's are old but work. Tub for two was a nice feature but to view the tv you had to be sitting up straight.....half out of the tub.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide your perspective on your recent stay. We are happy the you did come back to stay with us again. Your compliments of the staff are greatly appreciated. I am sorry to hear that you had some issues but that we were able to rectify them upon your letting us know. We do appreciate hearing from the guest regarding our partners in the packages as it helps us to determine the guest expectations, I will forward your comments on to my superiors for consideration. Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson and we hope to see you again.