“Hmmm, it's OK”

Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls
Ranked #18 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Hotel is pet friendly, for smaller dogs. Which is good for those traveling with their 4 legged friends. My room had a red heart shaped jacuzzi in it. Kinda reminded me on a honeymoon motel at first. But the room was clean, the staff was friendly, and it is well located to the action. I travel often and would rate this as "average". I did not have a chance to check out the pool area.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thatguy73
HJ Manager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2011

Thank you for your insights regarding our Hotel, we always appreciate hearing from our guests. We would look forward to opportunity to provide a more positive outcome (not just average) on your next stay. Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls.

Reviewed May 29, 2011

We had booked 7 rooms online the night before our arrival. One of the bookings was for one night, the others were for two nights. On the day of checking in, the group staying for a single day called in and asked to extend their stay for two nights. We all arrived and checked, assuming everything was fine. The next day one member of our group informs me that the front desk staff told him that we had one room that wasn't occupied and that we would be charged for it. I had provided them with my email and cell phone number, but no one from the hotel informed me of this. One would assume that at the time of check-in we would have been informed, we had to find out the next day by another group member. I proceed to speak to Brennan at the front desk and he immediately was stand-offish and continued to state that we had booked that room. When we tried to explain that that room was the room that was originally booked for one night then extended for another, Brennan refused to listen and instead continued to state that this was our problem and that nothing could be done. He was ridiculously rude and when we ask to speak to the manager and stated that he was the manager and this was his decision. We got upset at this and he threatened to call the police, at which point we asked him to do so because we felt that our rights were being neglected. 3 police cars arrived to a group which included infants, children and seniors. My nephew was crying because he thought his dad was going to jail. We never once threatened Brennan what so ever. The police asked what happened and we explained. At this point Brennan stated that he could do nothing and that we would have to speak to the manager in the morning. If this supervisor would have said this the moment we spoke to him, instead of acting as the manager and refusing to help us, this horrible ordeal would have been avoided. The police obviously did nothing, excepting ask us to speak to the manager in the morning. The next day upon checking out the manager informed us that the fee for the empty room would not be charged to us. A very simple fix. Regardless, the damage was done and the rest of our trip was ruined by a supervisor that had the worst personality and "management" experience I have ever seen. We had visited 4 hotels on our trip to southern Ontario and all the hotels were great except this one. Kevin, the manager, never apologized the next day. He also charged us $10/night for a fridge (which was barely cool) when we were never informed that we would be charged for it. On top of that, our room stunk and the air conditioning barely worked. We never complained of these things because this is not our personality. The owner states that the hotel was renovated in April 2010, we I think our rooms were forgotten. I would recommended to the owner to save the money and time on renovations and put that energy into better staff. A horrible situation that ended so simply and yet no apologizes. Thank you for ruining my family's trip to Niagara Falls!

Room Tip: Stay away from this place!!!!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family

It is very unfortunate that this issue could not be resolved at the property level both professionally and amicably as we originally tried to do with you right from the start Unfortunately, when guests (especially an entire party of 7 rooms) become aggressive and threatening to our staff and are unwilling to rationalize the issue, then the police will be called in immediately to deal with the situation ensuring the safety and security of our staff. Thank you and good luck with your future alternate lodging needs.

Reviewed March 20, 2011

This is my worst stay ever in Niagara falls. I booked the two-day indoor fallsview waterpark package. All the other hotels in Niagara that are offering a similar package, would give the waterpark passes for two days. I was told by the receptionist that the passes would be valid till 3 PM on the checkout day. When I tried to go on the day of the checkout, I was not permitted and was in fact told that I was admitted yesterday by mistake since the passes were only valid for one day. I called the supervisor of the front desk from the waterpark who was very rude and just told me that they only give daily passes and that there was nothing he could do and ended up by hanging up the phone.
He also told me that unlike all the other hotels (Crowne Plaza, Sheraton by the falls, hampton inn and Skyline inn) they only offer the passes for one night. Keep in mind that when you make the reservation, you get a warning if you have more guests than passes but you don't get a warning if you have more nights than passes). I actually paid full price for the extra passes for my kids because I thought they were for the full stay, even though I could have got them from costco for half the price, had I known that they were for just one day.
When you call the reception, they claim that the waterpark is within a 5 minute walk (it's actually a 20-minute walk). They say they are within one block from the falls (a 45 minute walk from the Canadian falls). (Staff is not friendly at all)
The hotel itself is very old and outdated. The bathroom is very small. Beds are very uncomfortable. Bed covers were very old and had a hole in them. The Hotel entrance is right behind KFC, so the smell was really bed (kind of a greasy kitchen).
The pool is very small. The hotel has one elevator so I had to take the stairs most of the times from the 6th floor instead of waiting for it.
Totally not worth the money. Will never stay at any Howard Johnson again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank nmel123
HJ Manager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2011

I am sorry that the package you chose online did not meet your expectations. The package you chose and booked online clearly states "Two all-day adult admission passes to the Fallsview Waterpark" and includes complimentary transportation to and from the waterpark using the package included shuttle service. The Hotel underwent extensive renovations to guestrooms and common areas in the last year and the bedding was updated at the same time. The hotel is equipped with three elevators and your perceptions of size may be a personal perspective. While your business is appreciated I am sorry we could not meet your expectations.

Reviewed March 8, 2011

We booked through itravel2000 which offers the cheapest online rates for this hotel. The desk staff was very pleasant. We stayed in room 615. The room was very clean and we had no complaints about it. The king size bed was fantastic. The heartshaped jacuzzi was an added bonus.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Radio_Princess
HJ Manager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2011

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to the opportunity of having you as our guest again in the future. Thank you for your patronage of Howard Johnson.

Reviewed March 6, 2011

We just spent 4.5 hours traveling to Niagara Falls to tour hotels for our July weekend wedding and it was worth almost every minute. We toured two hotels and got the best service from Hojo. Thank you Kevin for your patience, knowledge and gracious hospitality. We can't wait for our stay in July. We know that our guests will be pleased with our choice and that the Hojo By The Falls will more then meet our expectations.

• Stayed: March 2011
2  Thank Nick1968
HJ Manager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2011

Thank you for your kind comments. It was our pleasure to assist you in your decision as to where to accommodate your family for this special occasion. We look forward to having your family as our guests in July.

Reviewed February 16, 2011

went here with my sons hockey team. Rooms are old, bathrooms are small and tv old and small. (if working). Hot tub was so hot no one could use it. Booked months in advance only to find out I could have walked in and stayed for $40.00 a night cheaper. Complained to desk but they didn't care. Booked an ajoining room with friends but did not get the side by side rooms. When notified about this problem I was told that NO rooms have doors between suites. It turns out ALL rooms have the door.
Very disappointed and will never stay at a Howard Johnson again!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank baconmaker001
HJ Manager, Owner at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2011

First let me thank you for your feed back as we do appreciate all comments and concerns regarding our property that would allow us to improve our hospitality services whenever possible. The property has just completed a 1.2 million dollar renovation in April 2010 in which guestrooms and common areas such as hallways and the lobby area were all remodelled. The hot tub is constantly maintained at a temperature between 101 and 103 degrees Fahrenheit which is normal operating temperatures for most public hot tubs, it is unfortunate that you found it uncomfortable but we cannot adjust the temperature to suit each individuals personal preference. With regards to your television issue, yes you are correct that our televisions are 27" CRT model televisions as advertised on our website and coincidentally are slated for change in the next 12 months, and yes you did encounter an issue with your television but you did fail to mention that after we received a call from you informing us that there was an issue it was completely replaced within 20 minutes. With regards to your request to being placed on the same floor with your team mates was actually physically impossible as the building design would not permit us to accommodate the 67 specific guest rooms that were booked for your team all on one floor and not all of our guest rooms offer adjoining rooms and they are based upon limited availability at time of check-in only, this was all explained to you in great detail during your stay as well as the negotiated rate that was accepted by your group over 4 months ago. The staff at the property make every effort to please our guests but unfortunately in situations such as this we are unable to achieve this goal, and for that I do apologize. I have also included an email that we received from your groups organizer.
"Please let everyone know that we heard nothing but compliments about your hotel and staff. I have teams that were ready to book for next year already. They said the hotel was great and the staff was amazing and friendly. Just wanted to share that with you. Thanks, Jamie"

Eric Marcon
President

Reviewed February 13, 2011

If you really want to know what attractions to see in Niagara Falls DO NOT STAY in that hotel!!

Last weekend we went for a two-night stay to Niagara Falls with my family that was visiting from Europe. The night of our arrival the hotel receptionist sold us 4 Winter Magic Passes. Each included admission to: Niagara's Fury, Niagara's Butterfly Conservatory, and Journey Behind the Falls.The receptionist DID NOT mentioned however, that Butterfly Conservatory is CLOSED!! We found out about it as we were entering the Journey Behind the Falls the next day...
When we finally came back to the hotel around 5pm and ask the receptionist why he had not informed us that the Conservatory is closed he said that he had just come back from one-week vacation and he did not know...We found this to be a really poor explanation, considering the fact that (as we found out later) that place had been closed since January the 10th!! When we called a manager and ask for a refund they guy said that he cannot reimburse us as we used 2 out of 3 tickets on the pass....and that he does not always know whether or not different attractions are open....(If I was a Hotel Manager I would actually be ashamed to admit something like this...!!!) Then he said that instead of Conservatory we could go and see the Skylon Tower. When we told him that we had already been there that day and that we were leaving the next morning, they guy said that there was nothing he could do....

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT HOTEL!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank mwwChicago_Illinois
HJ Manager, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel by the Falls Niagara Falls, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2011

Thank you for informing us of the information where we may improve our customer service. I aplologize that the agent did not inform you of the Conservatory closure at the time for their renovations. The attractions provider did make arrangements for an alternate venue during the conservatory closure. The passes are sold as a packaged discounted price for the three attractions combined withl many other discount coupons for other attractions included in the one time price. The passes are provided through the attractions provider as one price and unfortunately cannot be broken down or discounted if not fully utilized. We appreciate your input, positive or negative it provides us the opportunity to improve our service for future guests. Once again I thank you for the information and do apologize that we could not provide you with a more satisfactory outcome. Thank you for choosing Howard Johnson.