“Apology fot the late review”

Hilton Niagara Falls/Fallsview Hotel & Suites
Ranked #11 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Toronto, Canada
“Apology fot the late review”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

For those of you who stayed at this hotel in the past while and had a bad experience, my apologies for not sharing this sooner. As a surprise i booked a weekend package at this hotel at the end of November 2012. We got in a little late but got our room fairly quickly, problem was the room number given did not match the assigned room, after close to an hour of trying to get this resolved we finally learned the room assigned on the key tag was wrong and our room was at the end of the hall. Then after we got into the room there was a strong odor of urine, we called down again to the front desk who sent up a lady from housekeeping, who agreed that the there was this strong smell and even noted she would stay in that room, we demanded to be moved to another room which we were. The second room had similar problems and again requested another room. The third room while smelling better had other issues, there was a faint odor of something - still not sure what it was. The bathroom was dirty, there was mold around the bathroom, the bathmat had hair all through it and many of the towels were unsuitable for use, including one that was blood stained. We took pictures of these and also brought them down to the front desk manager. While the manager was friendly and understanding and agreed that this was not acceptable, she do give us a free night for our trouble and another gift on the hotel.
We recently sent a letter to the hotel management team about what had occurred along with photos, the response given was a little disappointing in that we were advised basically that we had received a night free along with other gifts and that as far as they were concerned that was the end of the story, even though we advised we were not looking for freebies.
The issue is that a hotel of that brand name needs to ensure that their level of service is maintained and hotel guest should expect to come in room that are cleaned properly anf that do not pose a health threat to guests. Management can blame housekeeping but the ladies are given time schedules to complete their work and if not met are given poor reviews (based on conversations with a few staff). Management needs to take responsibility and ensure that you as a guest feel comfortable for what you are paying. Think twice about this hotel if others have had a similar experience and rate the hotel only average to poor.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Katmandu812

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,284)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed recently under a package deal. One night stay in a two bedroom suite king beds, jacuzzi, fireplace and view of American and Canadian falls, with $75 for the restaurant ( will write a separate review for the Watermark restaurant), 2 buffet breakfast (was very good, and our server Suzanne was very nice and helpful) and a wine tasting tour at two wineries for $159. Wonderful deal. Room was clean but there are a few things that need to improve. The gas fireplace was so loud you couldn't use it, the door to the shower fitted so tight that I really struggled to open it, no fan(at least we could find) for the toilet/shower room (it was a separate room off the bathroom with a sliding door that was not overly private), the cable for the tv was out (I think in the entire hotel) on the morning of checkout. The staff in the restaurants and bar were very friendly and a credit to the hotel. However one of the women at the front desk, Kasia, was anything but friendly. We questioned a couple of items on our bill and spoke with Kasia. The hotel automatically charged for valet parking ($25) yet we self-parked ($20). We also asked if the tourism improvement fee (I think around $3) was optional and Kasia advised it is only removed for locals. When I asked again if it was optional Kasia said she would remove it. However she didn't actually answer the question. While Kasia is not responsible for billing errors I do believe she is responsible for her attitude towards guests. She was very sullen, did not smile once (even upon greeting us) and acted as if we really caused her an inconvenience to amend our bill. I am pretty relaxed about service and ensure that I use my manners that I was taught as a child as I think people in the service industry do have a difficult job, but she was just too rude not to mention. I have stayed at this hotel for both business and pleasure as I like the Hilton chain, but I hope I don't run into Kasia again as she is not a credit to the Hilton chain.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LovesthebeachToronto
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel through a groupon deal we stayed in a standard king room with a jacuzzi tube. Had I paid full price for the room (rate of $300-$385/night) I would have been very disappointed.

The rooms are cramped and very poorly arranged. I don't know if many other people care about things like feng shui but lying in the bed you faced directly infront of the door. The room also had a musty stench of aged carpet and dust. As well when we used the jacuzzi a dirtyy grey film came about everytime we turned the jets on we drained the tub twice, cleaned it and it still happened that part was fairly disgusting.

I agree with the other viewers $25 for parking is a bit outrageous especially since you have to walk outside to get from the garage to the hotel anyways. Save yourself the hassle and park directly across the street for $5.

The service i encountered at the hotel was fairly standard.

That being said the service we received at the hotels two in house resturants was phenomenal. We had lunch at the macaroni grill though the food was okay our server was friendly, attentive and knew exactly when or when not to approach our table. His sense of humour definitely made our lunch.

We went to the The Brasa steakhouse for dinner, worth every penny. Scrumptious slow roasted steaks I think 25 different kinds? humorous servers and very attentive service we loved it!!

So, if cost does not factor in on your hotel decision making the hilton may be okay for you. But if it is I'd say save your money and stay elsewhere. For $300+ a night I should leave going wow not meh.

• Stayed December 2012
Sarnia, Ontario
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a great deal through TravelZoo and we had read some of the reviews, good and bad. Our room was on the 32nd floor, in the south building. Some of the reviews said not to stay in the south building. We had a terrific view of both falls. Our bed was amazing, so comfortable. The food at both restaurants was exceptional. We loved the pool with the slide, we had so much fun. We would recommend this hotel to stay at.

Room Tip: Park across the street for cheaper parking.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Booked this hotel as a short getaway vacation and got a great deal. The staff was friendly and check in was a breeze. Room was large and appeared just as it looked in the pictures, however being in the older tower, our room was showing a bit of age. Although clean, you could see the wall paper beside the toilet was discolored from being washed too many times. The view was great and when the small vent under the window was opened you could clearly hear the falls. Only one issue arose during our stay. When the small vent was opened under the window it caused air to blow through the bathroom vent, allowing bad smells to enter the room.
Overall I would recommend and stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've become increasingly tired of this particular hotel in the Hilton chain. Stayed two nights in January and ended up switching to Four Points next door at a cheaper rate for my next two nights. Over there I not only got free bottled water in the room(not at Hilton), but free wi-fi as well (not at Hilton). If I book through my Hilton membership, I get none of the perks offered by deal centres, like meal vouchers and tour offers. They seem to be out of touch with their competition, and the staff seems less than accommodating to repeat customers. The bathroom light kept flickering when it was on, and was never fixed when requested. The air in these rooms is stale and dry.

If they want me back, they'll have to start paying attention to the little things that make guest happy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank TorontoRaider
London, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed for one night on a Wagjaunt deal- falls view in an impressive suite, great deal offered with buffet breakfast included. Room was spacious, clean, and comfortable. Food at breakfast was very good, much like a resort environment and dinner at La Brasa was good, but not overly impressive as the salad bar was lacking in hot items and when you are being served all the meat you can eat, it would have been nice to have more choices for sides.This is a very busy hotel but one that I would stay in again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple