“Tried and True”

Ramada Niagara Falls by the River
Ranked #34 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed September 18, 2012

There is a welcome sameness to many hotel chains and this hotel lived up to the standard we have come to expect from The Hampton network in Canada and the U.S. but a few things warrant highlighting. It is a mile or so from the hub of Niagara Falls (Canada side) which means a car is important but the prices are substantially less than downtown. We last stayed here 10 years ago and we were delighted to note that we couldn't find any signs of age and wear (although our very clean hottub was a bit dated). A cautionary note, though: it is a popular tour bus way station which means that breakfasts are very good but the place can be crowded if a couple of buses are leaving by about 10 a.m. There are a couple of fully acceptable restaurants relatively close. Across the street if the Whitewater Walk where you can take an elevator down the gorge.Next door is a seven-storey Buddhist temple open to visitors. And you are only a few miles from Niagara-on-the-Lake, an area with dozens of wineries and home to the Shaw Festival.
Tip: ask the desk clerk about free hiking trails down to the whirl pool and/or rapids on the Niagara River

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,595)

Reviewed September 17, 2012

My wife and I travel all over North America. We have stayed in a lot of hotels and notice what others might not see. This hotel looks brand new. We stayed with my mother for 4 days and two of the 4 they where painting the door frames and I didn't see anything wrong with them in the first place. The service at breakfast was great. The woman that worked there cared for each person as family. Melissa at the front desk was wonderful! I asked her good places for lunch and where she told me to go was great. There wasn't a question I asked her that she did not know the answer. On a negative note the afternoon shift was bad. We checked in on 9-10-12 at 5pm they gave us a rm that was at the end of the hall. I asked to be moved closer to the elevators because of my 86yr old mother and was told I could not move cause of full house yet 45min later I saw a man going into a rm close to the elevator. My wife and I also watched the girl from the front desk who told me we couldn't be moved hold up her "f" finger to seniors when they checked in from a bus tour. We also saw the 2nd shift front desk have to be called many times before they assisted guest because they where too busy playing on there cell phones. The rest of the staff are fantastic but they need to replace the afternoon shift at the front desk.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Duane H
Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

We visited the area for two week nights at the end of August. Found our room (513) to be clean and had an HD tv. Don't expect view of river or falls. Breakfast was decent but dining room was very small and so crowded we had to wait quite a while for a table to open. It is about 2 miles to the falls, so be prepared to drive and park or take the wego bus (included in adventure pass). Shower handle was not working right (despite being "fixed") and tub drain was clogged. Pool is small but was fun for the kids.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank STF27
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Stayed there for two night during the Labor Day weekend. My main problem was very strong smell in our room -- possibly a combination of mildew and various chemicals. When we complained to the front desk they said that they could send someone with a spray -- exactly what we didn't want! The dining room gets very crowded (at least it did when we were there) towards the end of breakfast (which is from 6 to 10) -- some people had to eat standing.

Other than that, no other complaints. It's a few files north of the falls, but there are buses that stop near the hotel (if you don't want to drive).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Potown
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Quick review:
Hampton Inn standard hotel, about 2km from Clifton Hill in Niagara Falls, lot's of FREE parking, very pictuesque area, scenic, highly reccomend.
And rates after Labour Day drop significantly.

Do not hesitate to book this Hampton Inn when travelling to Niagara Falls, Ontario.

Room Tip: Gorge view offers a fantastic view of the Niagara Gorge ...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bflojim
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The Hampton North of the Falls is a bit off the beaten track, so it offers bargain rates, especially off season. I was driving home to Toronto yesterday, from the New York metropolitan area, through hours of drenching downpours with almost zero visibility and was exhausted by the time I got to the border. The beacon I was aiming for was this Hampton--I have stayed here many times and it does not disappoint. First, the Hampton Inn on River Road can not be rivaled for value for the money--all the wonderful Hampton amenities (fabulous bedding package, pool and hot tub, 24 hour coffee, tea and hot chocolate, free upscale hot breakfast with make your own waffles and fresh fruit salad, as well as many other choices, computer access, friendly and helpful staff) and I only paid fifty three dollars plus taxes with my CARP discount--the price goes down after Labor Day.
One can upgrade to a room with a lovely heart shaped two person whirlpool.
The one disadvantage is that even the most upscale room at this motel does not have either a fridge or microwave. I have learned to work with this arrangement by bringing any food I want to heat to the microwave in the breakfast area and eating there. I generally travel with coolers of food packed in blue ice--in the cooler months, I leave the coolers in the car overnight--sometimes, I bring the ice inside and the staff puts it in the freezer for me. Last night, I employed my summer plan--I wheeled the two entire coolers into the walk in breakfast fridge at the motel and left them there overnight.
The staff is a pleasure to work with at this hotel.
One thing the motel does need to attend to is the seals on the windows. I was in room 511 and a pretty large section of the carpeting below the window and extending to the bed, was sopping wet, even though the window was apparently closed. One does need to step into this area to draw the drapes at night. So, if it has been raining, you might want to pretest that area before striding into it in socks.
The breakfast is awesome. There is a free trolley to the Falls every hour or one can walk the mile and a half along the Niagara river, which is a nice, scenic stroll. There is free parking at this Hampton (not so at its sister properties Embassy Suites and the Hilton, where valet parking is very pricey) and here is a neat tip--if you park at the casino and walk down the hill to the Falls, it only costs five bucks.
And, if one has a Nexus card, the Whirlpool Bridge has practically no waiting line to cross the border and deposits you onto River Road, mere feet from this Hampton.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Stayed here with family of 4 (2 adults, 9yr, 2yr). The room was clean, comfortable beds, has free wifi, nice complimentary sit-down breakfast. Go early for breakfast (before 8am) to avoid hotel crowds. Microwave available in dining area. No refrigerator in the room, so we used ice buckets to keep milk cold. Hotel has an indoor swimming pool but it's not heated and too cold to swim. Beverage vending machine and ice available on each floor. Highly recommend bringing bottled water and pop to save $$. Closeby to all Niagara attractions without the noise and crowd.

Room Tip: We booked through priceline.com
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family