“Extremely Upset, complete disrespect for guests”

Courtyard Niagara Falls
Ranked #10 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Toronto, Canada
“Extremely Upset, complete disrespect for guests”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I am extremely upset and disgusted by the lack there of customer service at this Courtyard Marriott.

I was travelling to Niagara Falls for a wedding and had called ahead to the hotel to make sure it would be okay that I would be checking in late, I even wrote the time of arrival in my reservation. I was guaranteed that this would be no problem by phone. At this time I also confirmed the way of payment and was assured this would be no problem when I called the morning of my reservation. When I was leaving the wedding and was on my way to the hotel, around midnight, I was informed that my room was no longer reserved even though I had a guaranteed reservation and that there were no rooms left in the hotel.

I find this absolutely DISGUSTING and a poor representation of the Marriott brand. I have complained to the hotel and received a pathetic back handed apology from the Duty Manager and no assistance from the General Manager and it has now been two weeks.

Straight from the Marriott policies: "Hotel must not cancel a guaranteed reservation for failing to obtain pre-authorization on a credit card. (Note: Credit card pre-authorization is NOT permitted at any time.)"

Beware making any reservation to stay here, they may cancel them on you and leave you out in the cold, even with a GUARANTEED RESERVATION.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SPAK802

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We selected Courtyard by Marriott Niagara Falls as the hotel was offering rooms for $99. Upon checking in we were given a room on the main floor, right near the elevators. We asked for a room on a higher floor and were told by the front desk that no other rooms were available.

Later in the evening, we returned to our room to settle in for the night. Since our room was right across from the elevators we could hear constant noise of people talking loudly waiting for the elevators. To make matters worse, at around 1:00am, one of the rooms on the main floor started playing very loud music, making it impossible to sleep. We decided to check out and drive back home, as there were no other rooms available. The gentleman at the front desk apologized for the loud noise and only offered complimentary parking as we weren't staying overnight.

Given the huge inconvenience of having to drive home in the early morning, we contacted the front office manager hoping he would rectify the situation. We explained the experience we had and he only offered a complimentary upgrade and breakfast toward another stay at the Courtyard Marriot. We explained that we wanted a refund for the room charge but he felt his offer was fair. This is poor customer service and we are very disappointed that the front office manager didn't offer a full refund as we didn't stay in the room overnight.

This hotel needs to add a disclaimer when booking online that the $99 discount rate is only for rooms on the main floor. We would have gladly paid more to book a room on a higher floor and enjoy a restful night's sleep. We are never booking with this hotel chain again as management has no clue how to provide excellent customer service to hotel guests.

3 Thank Stephanie C
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 27, 2013

The hotel is almost exactly halfway between the Fallsview Casino Resort and the Clifton Hill strip, so it is walkable to all points of interest around Niagara Falls. The hotel is fairly new, as the room decor is quite modern. The rooms are spacious, however, they do cut some corners such as only using plastic cups (like a Days Inn) and using lower end coffee/tea bags. But these are minor things, overall a great value - check out their websites for package deals.

We ate at the Keg for dinner, which was a very nice restaurant with good atmosphere. Keep in mind, there is no washroom in the Keg, so you need to leave the restaurant and walk through the lobby and pass the check in counters if you need to refresh yourself in the middle of the meal.

The breakfast buffet at $13/person is a reasonably deal, with plenty of hot/cold and healthy selection to suit any tastes. There is an omelette bar, fresh waffles/french toast and some hot foods like sausages, eggs, bacon as well as your usual continental breakfast items (pastries, fruits etc.).

We did not try the pool, but it looked clean and brightly lit.

1 Thank Canuck2103
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed for 2 HOT sauna like nights at the Marriott Niagara Falls. This unpleasant experience and the hotel staff's reaction to our complaints about it, really over shadowed what would have been an otherwise great stay. The room was so hot after trying to adjust the controls manually ourselves we asked the front desk if something could be done to fix this. The response was, "No, our climate controls are not controlled here "on site" and there would be nothing they could do to fix it." She continued.." you are on the 7th floor and heat rises and there is nothing we can do about that either, it is only natural to expect a hotter room the higher up you go." I stated that I tried to adjust the temperature myself in the room to which she noted, "its not a temperature gauge for the room, that each room can't be adjusted manually, as previously stated it is one master control, that is controlled elsewhere, and there was nothing that could be done about it". We were not even offered a fan (as I see that another person whom did a review noted was offered) We were not even offered much sympathy, it was almost like I was bothering her by complaining and asking for assistance. I'm not one to complain about things unless it is a true issue.. and trust me when I say It was HOT :( My husband and I would possibly consider staying here again, for the convenience of the location and the fact that the rooms are clean and if you are in a room like we were facing the falls you get a nice view of Skylon tower and Clifton hills.. but we will be sure to request a lower floor to avoid the broiler room situation we endured this trip...or I'll just end up looking for another hotel that I can make sure that I can control the rooms temperature.

1 Thank aubpgh
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I thought booking with a Marriott I would avoid all the lower quality hotels available in the area. I was wrong. This hotel was below Marriott standards. Our room was so unbearably hot and the room’s climate control did not work. After complaining twice on our first night they final brought us a fun and said sorry there is nothing they can do. The next day I complained again hoping for a room change and they again said there is nothing they can do and offered another fan. We ended leaving our door propped opened for a few hours to try and cool it off. The bedding was OK however our duvet did not have a cover, just a regular flat sheet on top and on the bottom of it. The pool and hot tub was nice however the parking fee was not worth it. The location is great and close to everything, however after this experience I would never go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on upper floor
Maybrook, New York
Reviewed November 7, 2013

The hotel was exactly what I expected from a Marriott, clean & comfortable with all the amenities. The best was it's location. We walked or took the bus (there is a stop right across the street) everywhere. We never moved the car for the 4 days we were there. You do have to pay to park (I wasn't happy about that)but that was at all the hotels but when I asked where the handicapped parking was they said they didn't charge if you had a handicap tag. (Pleasantly surprised) . My only complaint would be that the front desk staff while very plantant where not very knowledgable.
I travel a lot with my parents who are in their 70's so we often have 3 people in a room. We always get a suite and I usually get the sofa bed but this room actually had 3 beds I was so excited.
The restaurant at the hotel (the Keg) was excellent but expensive. Most of the hotels didn't have a free breakfast (I guess in Canada they don't give it away) so we tried a different place each morning. Do NOT go to the Denny's across the street. Food was not good service was terrible & the prices where high.
One more tip buy the combo ticket for the activities they are well worth it and saves you a lot of money.
Would go back to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank pad862
Bridgewater, New Jersey
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed here on Halloween for two nights and had wonderful times. Short walk to Falls, excellent view from 10th floor, especially at night, big and well-appointed presidential suite (asked for upgrade and got it!), fireplace with a big jacuzzi, very clean. Late check-out at 1pm. Overall, it was a good stay.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor with a view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family