“Bad Hotel Practice” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Toronto, Canada
“Bad Hotel Practice”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel in the past and it is ok if you get it at a reasonable rate. If the going rate is the same as all the hotels in the area then this hotel (Four Points) would not be my first choice or even near the top. Four Points is supposed to be Starwood's economical brand so why would I choose here if they are charging the same rate as the Hilton, Marriott or the Sheraton on the Falls (which is closer to Clifton Hill)? I gave this hotel 2 stars because I booked a room for this coming New Year's Eve (Dec 2012) as the rate on the Starwood and SPG websites was fantastic. I also booked Dec 29 and 30. Clearly the rate was too fantastic for the hotel because several weeks after my confirmed reservation the hotel arbitrarily cancelled my reservations citing a website error (it took them almost 4 weeks to detect this error??). Keep in mind that after I booked the rooms a reservations staff called me to confirm my reservations and told me that I was lucky I got the rate as the staff had not change the rates for December 31 2012. The rates for Sat (Dec 29), Sun (Dec 30) and Mon (NYE) were all the same so how is this an error?? The hotel only cancelled NYE so clearly there was no website error for the other two dates?? So now website error can be used for - oops I didn't realize that Dec 31 was NYE and I should have increased the rate by 5 times what you got it for. The rates for the other dates are still relatively the same but NYE has now gone to over $400+ what I booked for. The hotel refused to honor the rate and the Starwood executive office told me that the hotel has the final say and they can cancel my reservation if they want. Good to know this wonderful policy - so I can book a confirmed reservation on SPG/Starwood website and may or may not get my rate depending on whether the hotel wants to give it to me. I've given up trying to get this hotel to honor the rate. After my experience I have NO interest in staying at this property (especially under its current management) and I won't recommend this hotel. Not bad rooms but not good enough that I'd spend my money here after this encounter.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Travel_Snob1974

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (746)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Elmira, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

We had one of the Groupon vouchers (2-night stay; vouchers for IHOP, Dave & Busters, Outback, and the Keg Steakhouse) so we were not quite sure what to exepct. Arrived on a Thursday afternoon were warmly greeted by the staff and the clerk noted that I was a Starwood Preferred Guest (although no points awarded) which I thought was a nice touch. However, he did provide us with complimentary vouchers that we could use at another time by virtue of that membership!

Hotel was not hard to get to, and in a pretty good location. There were plenty of places nearby to eat--the only drawback is having to pay a ridiculous amount for parking. They want you to pay between $10 and $15 per night for unsecured parking. Total rip-off. We parked in the sheltered casino lot (free if you are a Casino Niagara card menu and you have actively gambled on each given day).

The hotel had a Starbucks and IHOP downstairs. We had vouchers for the IHOP and the food and the service were great. Food at all the places is definitely overpriced though. Vouchers barely covered meals.

We were quickly checked in to a nice corner room on an upper floor. Room was quite spacious for two people, and we had more than enough room to spread out. We were there to gamble so after scoping out the hotel we headed over to the casino. Didn't have to go outside to access--could use the walkway that connected the casino to the 4-Points and I believe it was the Hilton right next door.

We used our vouchers to the Keg Steakhouse and Outback. Both meals were excellent, but both were very much overpriced. Need to make a reservation for the Steakhouse. We had 7 p.m. which seemed to be the right time, because it was packed by 8.

The Dave and Busters did not have a lot of things to do that we enjoyed so we played a little and gave our vouchers away to a family with 4 kids. It seemed pretty outdated and some things didn't really work. Younger kids would probably really enjoyl.

Only negative was when we went to check-out--there was a "phone" charge on my bill which added an additional $20. When I questioned it--I was told it was because I called in to make arrangements to use my voucher versus doing it online. There was nothing that indicated that on the voucher, and she quickly refunded my money, but just be careful about that.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank mamaknows
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and myself, stayed at the Four Points Sheraton for two nights in Apr 2012, using a one-night coupon purchased through an on-line special, and booking an extra night. We had stayed the previous month at it's neighbouring hotel, the Hilton, and found it lovely, but thought we'd give the Four Points a try.
Both hotels share a glass enclosed walkway over to the Fallsview Casino, and its small mall area.
It was definitely worth it. Our coupon was for a Sun-Thurs stay in a 2 queen or 1 King, City view, with the option of an upgrade to Fallsview for $20. which we took, and the really accommodating desk staff, were nice enough to give us room on the top 18th floor. The view was great and as there are not too many rooms up there, the top tower being built with a single hallway, and rooms only on one side, looking towards the falls it was a great spot, and very quiet. Another advantage was that the bank of elevators that we had to use, only went to the 14th-18th floors, and the Lobby, so we were not waiting forever for an elevator, as happens in many hotels.
The room was very clean and spacious, with two queen beds, a desk and chair, a wing chair , free wifi, and the view, of course. The bathroom was your typical rather small area, a bit of a squeeze, but again very clean, and well supplied with towels. (which we often find, most hotels do not give you enough and you have to request more).

There is an IHOP, Starbucks, and East Side Mario's on site, with other dining options within easy walking distance. Even if you go over to the Casino, via the walkway, again you will find many eating options, from Diner style, to Chinese, to Deli, Casino Buffet, and Fancy Italian.And the Casino mall has a wine store, if you have forgotten to bring something for a nightcap in your room.
The parking has , of course a charge. On our stay it was $12 for self-park across the street, $20 for convenient near to the entrance or valet. But we heard some people mention that they used the Casino parking at $5., and lugged their suitcases through the walkway and over to the hotel. Your choice.
Our deal came with a voucher for $10 at IHOP with a min.$25. puchase, which is easily met as Niagara Falls prices are a trifle inflated, compared to regular IHOP restaurants. Our meal of 1 order of Bacon and Eggs, 1 order of Cereal and fruit, coffee, and milk, came to $41. before the coupon application.
Again we also had a coupon for either Outback Steakhouse($20) ( a block way) or the Keg ($40), which is across and down the street one block, in the Embassy Suites Hotel, which we had a pleasant walk to. With a great view and of course great food it was a good choice.

We did not see many children about, and did not even get to the pool area, as being right at the Casino, I would assume it is mostly adults that stay here.
There is a free shuttle to the Clifton Hill area, which would be a bit of a walk.

We would definitely stay at the Four Points again, after our experience.

Room Tip: If view is important, ask for a room on floors 14-18.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank M M
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

I attended a conference last week at the Fallsview. This hotel just keeps getting better! They moved the fitness room to another floor and it is now accessible 24 hrs. Two yrs. ago when I last stayed there it was only open at 6 a.m.
Although I had to pay for an upgrade ($40.00 per night) for a view of the falls, it was worth it! I was on the 19th floor and the view was spectacular!!!!!! The indoor pool was average and there wasn't a hot tub. The outdoor pool was not yet open for the season.
Everything from the room to the front desk was great. The staff were all extremely friendly. I am already looking forward to our next conference in a couple of yrs. from now!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

We knew the weekend would be busy in Niagara Falls, but we would expect a hotel that has the Sheraton name on it would be well managed, unfortunately not. First the guy on reception appeared to be trying but very defensive and I felt quite rude, also could not locate my details on the Starwood system (I had my membership reinstalled while in Orlando very easily by the staff at The Walt Disney Dolphin Resort, but did not have my membership details on me) then we had the experience of finding the base sheet on the king size bed did not fit, when I asked the following morning if the could place full size sheets on the bed for the second night I was told by the reception supervisor that this was a four points and that's the sheets used, not sure what this meant but I don't like to wake sleeping on the mattress not the sheet. Saturday night appears to be party night, noisy all night but each time I thought of calling to complain it went quiet, again when I complained I was told that is standard but the Sunday night would be quieter (it was but that did not make up for the complete lack of sleep the night before) BEWARE OF WEEKENDS! Management should manage floors and try to ensure travellers and party goers are separated maybe, save the complaints and bad reviews. These were the main issues, but for over $240 per night I would expect better, and a better attitude from management would be the starting point. A plus is the gift shop, product, price and especially the staff 3 Stars. Would I stay again, I don't think so.

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Mark D

Travelers are raving about these Niagara Falls hotels

Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed at the Four Points Sheraton for one night mid-week in April after purchasing a deal online. For $115, we got a City-View room, $100 voucher to Dave and Busters along with mini golf and lazer tag passes, $40 to the Keg in the Embassy Suites next door, shuttle passes, and $10 to IHOP located in the Sheraton. We used all of the vouchers except for IHOP and overall it was a great deal, having to pay only for the taxes on the hotel.

We checked in earlier than the documented check-in time of 4pm and were given a room on the 6th floor of the "newer tower" as per the front desk staff (who was very nice and pleasant to deal with!) The room appeared new and was huge with 2 comfortable queen size beds with nice linens (although no fitted sheets as mentioned in other reviews, however this was not a problem and the flat sheet stayed put). There wads nice large wall-mounted TV in the room, a coffee-maker, ironing board, etc, and a complimentary bottle of water. We had a nice view of the Fallsview resort and surrounding area.

The hotel's location was very convenient to the Fallsview Casino, connected by a bridge/tunnel. The shuttle to Clifton Hill was great being a cold and windy day, although it only comes every 30 minutes and takes a very roundabout route to get there so it would probably be faster to walk.

A few tips:

Park at the Fallsview Casino across the street - the parking is enclosed and the lot itself is connected to the Four Points via a short bridge - very convenient and only $5!

Check out the breakfast buffet at the Fallsview Casino - it's only $12 including tax, includes juice/coffee, and has a wonderful view of the Falls, all for much cheaper than dining at IHOP in the lobby!

There is free WIFI at the Sheraton which worked great during our stay - just ask the front desk for the username and password.

Overall we would definitely book this hotel again, especially if we find another deal with the included perks!

• Stayed April 2012
5 Thank CaribbeanTraveller-6
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

Brilliant view. It was a beautiful room. The service was good. The restaurants in the hotel weren't good.

• Stayed October 2011