“Extra Friendly & Ready to Help”

Clifton Victoria Inn at the Falls
Ranked #28 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed November 8, 2012

For the past 15+ years my parents have travelled to the Hampton with a group of Senior Friends. The love the friendly faces they see each year and the special effort made by all to accomodate their needs. This year while on their trip my Dad woke up at 3:30 a.m. with difficulty breathing, my Mom ran to the front desk & immediately the Paramedics were called, arrived and actually found him not breathing. With their speedy actions, he was in hospital, paddles used enroute and after being on life support for 2.5 days, woke up as good as new. The staff were caring, loving and provide extra TLC while family members joined as we awaited the outcome. Had he been in his home, he may not have made it to the hospital quick enough. Did I mention that my Dad is 90 years old, and already talking about their weekend next year. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to manager's & staff of The Hampton Inn, Niagara Falls, ON

Room Tip: Let them know what you are looking for, my parents love the ground floor room facing the pool &...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,618)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed here on a Monday night as I had a conference to attend in town early Tuesday morning. I usually stay at another Hilton property close-by, by I decided to try this Hampton location because the price was right, it wasn't on the "main" strip, and because the hotel offered a free breakfast "to go" option. Because I'm not an early riser and will do ANYTHING to sleep in longer, the idea of grabbing something to go was very appealing and I thought it would be great to have a bite on the way to the conference.

I checked in at 8pm and the clerk was very pleasant. I left my vehicle info with her and she gave me a parking pass to put on my dash. There is plenty of free parking for guests at this hotel and it is VERY easy to find off the highway. I was put in a room on the front of the hotel on the 4th floor. The standard room looked nice with 2 double beds, a desk, closet. Bathroom was nice and clean. The room was very cold and I couldn't figure out how to turn the heat on. There was no thermostat and I couldn't find any buttons on the heating unit. I called the front desk and the clerk didn't know how to work it either, but said she would send up maintenance to turn it on. After hanging up with her, I was able to figure it out (note - the top panel on the unit lifts up and that's where the controls are!) so I called back to cancel.

It was at this point that I knocked something off the endtable onto the floor. When I knelt down to pick it up, I noticed that the floor behind the bed was filthy. It was covered with layers of dust and there were 2 crumpled up tissues. Other than this, the room seemed clean, but it still bothered me a bit.

The sleep quality in the hotel was very poor. Although not on a really busy part of the street, and with it being October, I was surprised at the amount of street noise. I could hear the bus every hour when it turned the corner where the hotel is located. It was also very loud whenever a motorcycle or scooter went by. I was also awoken twice that night by people talking outside as they walked. I can't imagine what the noise would be like in the summer with loads of people walking by. The windows and walls are very thin in this hotel. In addition to the outside noise, I was also bothered by the inside noise. The doors for each room don't close slowly, the slam shut. Everytime the people in adjacent rooms opened the door, they let it slam shut which actually shook the wall in my room. I was awoken by this in the morning several times. The bed was incrediably uncomfortable. The mattress I found to be very hard and the sheets were a weird material that almost felt like they had a bit of plastic in them! Very itchy and noisy all night and they didn't keep me very warm. The bed combined with the street noise left me with a very poor nights sleep.

When I checked out in the morning, I went to the breakfast buffet to get my "on the run" breakfast. The smell of chlorine was very strong in the buffet as it is also where the pool is located (in the lobby). Didn't bother me, but might if others are sensitive. I handed in my room key to front desk and inquired as to how I could get my to-go container. The gentleman at the desk told me to ask the buffet staff for a container. When I asked at the buffet, I was told that they didn't have any and that it was only a sit-down breakfast and that you couldn't take food to go. I didn't have time to inquire further, so I left.

Because the "to-go" breakfast was the main reason I stayed at this hotel, I felt that I needed to email the hotel's customer service department to inform them of what happened. If they really don't have to-go breakfast, they shouldn't be advertising it both on their website and on the in-room literature. I received an email back from Frances, the guest services supervisor of the hotel, on behalf of Nancy Wales, the hotel GM. Frances appologized for the problems that I had during my stay, including the issue around the lack of "to-go" containters, although I was never told exactly what the problem was that day. For the inconvenience, I was given a $20 refund to my credit card. This gesture was greatly appreciated, as was the appology and the assurance that all my issues would be looked into.

If it wasn't for the great customer service that I received after, I probably would not have stayed at this hotel again. It wasn't bad and would be good for someone who just needs a simple place to stay, but the hotel is old and it shows some signs of wear.

Room Tip: If you are anything but a deep-sleeper, request a room that is not on the front of the building.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Terrific location. Just down the road from the Falls as well as all the great restaurants. Parking is free and the breakfast was outstanding. This hotel was recommended to us by our friends and we would definitely recommend it to others. Many thanks.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike F
Reviewed October 31, 2012

My wife and I spend 2 nights at the Hampton Inn located agt 5591 Victoria Ave., Niagara Falls. This hotel has a great location almost across the street from Casino Niagara and most of the other downtown attractions. Our stay was during a very quiet time and there were a number of the local restaurants either closed or running on a limited schedule.

As for the Hampton Inn itself, we saw a lot of evidence that the place needs major renovations and upgrading. That said, the staff were all helpful and very professional. Their complimentary breakfast was tasty and a great bonus as was the no-charge parking which may not be available during the busy summer season.

This Hampton Inn as well as the Country Inn and Suites which is located right across the street are two good choices for people seeking an affordable weekend getaway.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We try to stay at Hamptons when we travel because you can be confident they are clean and they have a great free breakfast! This one was good. It could use some updates but overall nice. I wouldnt spring for the Jacuzzi room again though. King size bed was nice but I wish they would go with different pillows. Front desk staff was very helpful.although no one seemed to know that even in Oct the falls are lit at night ..and you have to see it!
One thing that was nice is that we didnt need to keep adjusting the air or heat. It was always just right

Room Tip: skip the jacuzzi
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We selected this hotel after reviewing the options in Niagra Falls. We liked that this included breakfast and parking and was withing walking distance. Our room was decent sized, had VERY comfortable beds and was very clean. We overlooked the (indoor) pool, and there was a constant chlorine smell in the room. (We were aware of the smell, but it didn't bother us.) The staff was friendly, parking well lit and location allowed us to walk everywhere we wanted to go. The free breakfast offered cheese omlettes, various cereals, waffles, oatmeal and yogurts. All good.

We stayed for 3 nights, and had no problems. We would stay here again if we came back to Niagra Falls.

Room Tip: Reserve a room that is not overlooking the pool to avoid chlorine smell.
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I booked a last minute stay at the Hampton Inn at the Falls. Got a great rate and was happy that the hotel had free parking, a two-bedroom suite, free breakfast and was close to Clifton Hill (2 blocks and an easy walk).

Upon entering the hotel you see that the decor is sort of in the New Orleans style...including the heat and humidity! The lobby was pretty stuffy and humid. Check-in was very smooth and the staff was super friendly. When we moved to the back of the lobby to the elevators, we noticed the indoor pool - in the lobby.

Our room was on the 2nd floor directly over the breakfast area. Upon entering I noted that the room was pretty dark and lamps were needed as there was very little natural light. Initially my feeling was the room was very small and as I walked around the queen bed and into the 2nd bedroom I realized that the room is actually an average sized hotel room, it's just broken up into 2 smaller rooms. It was fine for us, but there was no room for a small sofa, armchair or table. The main room had a desk and chair, nightstand and armoire; the second room had a dresser and nightstand. There was not a small refrigerator (they are nice, but not essential), microwave (I have never used a hotel microwave) but the one thing that would have been really nice was a room safe. Being a tourist area and not an airport hotel, I would think a room safe would be a standard feature.

From the main room there was a glass sliding door that led out to a HUGE balcony. On the balcony there were two chairs that rocked and a small table. After the kids and wife went to bed, I went out onto the balcony to read and after about an hour I just couldn't take the warm, humid air and had to go back inside. The next morning, even though our room was directly above the dining area, we didn't hear any noise from the breakfast crowd. The bed was super comfortable and the room was quiet.

The bathroom was pretty small but functional. The shower had decent water pressure.

Breakfast was a little above average for free hotel breakfasts. We waited until the crowds thinned out before heading down and everything was well stocked.

There is a small gift/sundries shop off the lobby and a convenience store next to the hotel. The hotel is also only 2 blocks from all of the action on Clifton Hill. It is an easy walk down to the falls and Clifton Hill dead-ends pretty much right at the "American Falls".

My kids used the pool the evening of our stay and loved that the water was warm. The pool is on the small side and I would say any more than 6 people in and it would feel crowded. There is also a small hot tub and a sauna room in the pool area. As I was sitting in a chair in the pool area, I looked around the lobby and the hotel buildings. To me it looked like there used to be two separate buildings with an outdoor pool between them and they were later connected by a metal roof and hallways added between them to make one hotel building with an indoor pool. That would explain the pool in the lobby and the odd path with glass doors we needed to navigate to get to our room.

All in all, we had a nice stay at the Hampton Inn and would stay here again. I would say that the two bedroom suite is too small for two couples to share, but it is suitable for a small family. The location is really good as it is a short walk to all that Clifton Hill has to offer.