“Beautiful view, nice room, great location”

Sheraton on the Falls
Ranked #6 of 127 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed April 28, 2011

In early March, we booked a two night water park package with the stay starting a few days before Easter. I was happy with the rate we got at this caliber of hotel considering we had access to the water park from check in until 3pm on day of check out. However, it ended up being more than I had expected.

The positives about this hotel were: 1)The room. The "partial view" 3rd floor room actually had quite a spectacular view of the American Falls and the pretty garden just in front of the hotel. I thought I would be disappointed in not having a full falls view, but I was more than satisfied and you could even open the window for the best view. The sitting area w/fireplace was nice and cozy. The room was clean, the shower was nice and the bathroom even had it's own TV. Totally impractical, but impressive non the less. 2) Location. Super short walk to view the American Falls up close and a nice stroll to the Horseshoe Falls. Also, there was indoor access to the waterpark (which was actually a block away, but not a bad walk) and to the casino. The adjoining arcade type area was lame, but we had free passes to bumper cars, indoor minigolf and the 4D experience. These things seemed like they would have been a rip off if you paid for them (example $6 per person for 5 minutes on the bumper cars). 3) The staff. Everyone we encountered was nice and helpful.

The downsides: 1) The beds. Anything that hard cannot possibly be called a "sweet sleeper bed". The bedding itself was nice though. 2) Prices!! The rate we got was quoted Canadian and the American exchange rate illustrated on the booking page would have put the price lower. However, at the time we stayed, the exchange rate was not favorable. We ended up paying about 10% more than the quoted Canadian rate for everything charged on our credit card. I had heard the hotel restaurants were pricey so we ate at the Hard Rock, $65 for modest dinner for 4 (incl 2 kids). Ended up being charged at $78 w/tip and unfavorable exchange rate. Breakfast at Perkins was $50 for 4 (two being kids meals), nothing fancy and we would have paid $20 for a similar breakfast at Bob Evans in OH. This is partially my fault for not investingating the exchange rate before we went, but my goodness. Parking is $18 to self park and $28 for valet. I had read that somewhere and had expected it. Parking is a premium anywhere near the Falls so no big deal on that. My suggestion is to do your homework on pricing so there are no surprises.

The kids didn't care for the waterpark, so we only went once. I thought it was nice and had many options for slides. The staff works hard to make sure things are running smoothly (although we were there at a slow time). It might be a different story if it was packed. One last comment, if I was staying w/ my husband only and wanted a quiet, romantic place I would avoid this hotel and Clifton Hill as it is geared toward families.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (7,399)

Reviewed April 28, 2011

We took our family (8 adults, 6 children) and we had a great time. The weather was not the greatest, but the fallsview rooms we amazing, both day and night. The employees were super, from the front desk, the buspeople to help unload and load, the floor workers to the garage attendant. Having the whole complex under one roof is so nice since the weather was basically wet and cold. We enjoyed our breakfasts in the Fallsview Restaurant and found that the cost of the breakfast in the restaurant, with the discount for children, was approximately $75.00 less (total for all 14) than breakfast at Perkins. It is a definite given that everyone enjoyed the waterpark. Couldn't have been a better 4 days.

Room Tip: definitely choose the fallsview rooms
1  Thank SAMIRYAN
Reviewed April 27, 2011

This was the second stay at this hotel chain.

The first time we were here, we had a hotel staff member open the room door and fully walk in as my wife and I were still in the room without even knocking room and it was around 8pm in the evening. The hotel staff offered me a free upgrade after booking the lowest room price which was still not good enough as I had the presidential corner suite before hand and could not enjoy it. So everyone please keep in mind to lock your doors while at this hotel.

The second time my wife and I spent the night here on our wedding night, being such a special night everything was going wrong. As we were making a cup of coffee we found a grey hair in the machine and we both don’t have grey hair. Then every 30 seconds we kept hearing a compressor sound which was really bad. Then in the morning our bathroom sink kept over flowing. This hotel needs some work. Everyone please be aware before booking this hotel.

5  Thank NeilSidhu
Reviewed April 27, 2011

My experience with this hotel begins when I reserved the rooms. I had gone through their website, everything looked good and I hit submit. On the final page it showed the wrong dates (it had changed to the following day). I called their 1-800 number and told the lady what happened who replied that she was sorry I was not the first person that happened to. Figured it was a problem with their system--no big deal. The lady went to change the date to what I wanted and told me the hotel was booked. I was disappointed as it was my mother’s first trip to the falls and I wanted her to have a nice view of them. So, I asked for my money back and the lady told me she could not refund me my money. What! You just told me your system was having a problem why should I have to pay for it??? She suggested that I call the hotel manager directly, which I did. The manager told me that they did have rooms available. I asked if they were full falls view and she told me they were. The price was higher than what I thought but she also told me that we were getting $80 in food vouchers that could be used at the Jungle Café, Hard Rock Café, or their dining rooms. I had no problem paying a higher price and was all set to go.

Check-in: Wow! Even the most congested hotel in New York City handles Check-in and parking better than this hotel did. You pull into a garage next to the hotel that can probably fit thirty cars and they were squeezing sixty in there. We sat backing up and going forward trying to let people in and out. When we finally got a parking space we were told to wait at our car for someone to come and take our luggage. Twenty-five minutes later….Parking is a total joke--$28 per day!
We waited in line for another twenty minutes (they did come around and serve Brownies to the kids--which was a plus as they were getting cranky).

Room: The room was not what I expected. First off it was not a full falls view. I was told those were booked up so they just put me in a partial view. So, why not tell me that on the phone?! The fireplace made a horrible noise and the walls are paper thin. I listened to the lady in the next room all night trying to get her baby to sleep and listened to the baby cry.

The $80.00 food cards: We were told you could only use them at their restaurants. What happened to being able to use them at The Hard Rock Café??? Whatever. Went up their buffet--which cost us 96.00 AFTER the 40.00 discount. Service was excellent, food choices were just okay (rotten apples should have been replaced with fresh ones the prime rib was one step away from mooing) but the fish was incredible.

Elevator: Double Wow!! What a total joke! It took us over fifteen minutes to get an elevator because they were all full. Finally, housekeeping told us to push up and then take the elevator down (that worked). I find it very sad that hotel guest have no problem complaining to the elevator guy but not once did I see someone tip him.

Lobby: Way to crowded and loud. This is not a hotel you can relax at it is constant motion and noise. Internet is $15.00 per day in your room but lobby is free. However, L.A.X is more comfortable than this hotel lobby!

Bill: Subtracting the cost of our dinner with all the hidden fees and taxes our hotel room cost us eighty-one more dollars than we were expecting.

Leaving the hotel: It was near impossible to get out onto Falls Ave. The hotel is situated between two lights so it is constant traffic and people from both directions. When we came in someone was out there directing traffic but no one was there when we left. It took us fifteen minutes to just beable to pull out. I would hate to see it in the summer!

Positives: After waiting in line listening to everyone else complain about their stay we told them we were not happy with the hotel and they allowed us to check out the next day early with no penalties.

4  Thank Justsomechick
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Jorge, the General Manager of Sheraton on The Falls is the best in customer service. I had a bad experience previously but Jorge and his staff has made it right. My spouse and I are very happy with the admin. staff, front desk and of course Jorge. The view from our room is breath taking. The bed is so comfortable and sheets are soft and fresh. When we came back from dinner, our curtains were closed for us and they left 2 bottle water for us. (Complimentary of course!). I have never experience such an excellent service before. Thank you very much to your staff!

Room Tip: I love the room 2157. It's a corner unit .
1  Thank Skittles9927
Reviewed April 25, 2011

We stayed here for one night during Easter weekend- could have been a nightmare with all the kids,and we were 3 adults, but it was quiet and efficient and a really pleasant experience.

The rooms were very clean and quiet- the food at the Rainbow Room was delicious and we had excellent service from restaurant to parking..and of course the falls were always right outside the window.

Ths staff makes this hotel a great place to stay- we would go again.

2  Thank lmmimico
Reviewed April 25, 2011

We stayed during the Easter weekend of 2011 and we left with a very bad impression of this hotel. It does have great view of the falls and an excellent location for all the attractions but the quality of the rooms is very bad.
Our room had no air and I could not sleep during the night even though the fan and A/C were on at the maximum!
During our stay, the hotel was full of families with kids, very noisy and annoying. But then again, we should have verified this before booking the rooms.
If you dont plan to stay in the room very much, it is a great choice due to its location. However DO NOT book a room with an interior view (no windows, dark and depressing).

The buffet provided by the Fallsview restaurant was good, offering a lot of choices.

Out of the MANY Sheraton properties I visited, this one left me with a bad impression. However, it was all offset by the view provided by the restaurant and by the hotel's location.