“Decent”

Ranked #46 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
South Lyon, Michigan
“Decent”
Reviewed September 27, 2009

Stayed in the older building in the back as part of a group. It was clean and comfortable but not luxurious by any means. The new building closer to the street seems MUCH nicer -- at least based on what I saw on trips to the ice machine. Couldn't get Internet access from my room and didn't try in the new building.

The staff was very friendly. On-site restaurant is IHOP.

The place was PACKED on Saturday night. I don't know what was up (something with the discount mall next door?) but it was quite a change from Friday night.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Pittsburgh, pa
Reviewed May 25, 2009

I can't remember ever staying at a hotel where the staff was more rude and ignorant. They acted as if they were doing me a favor by allowing me to stay there. The overflow parking was in a lot owned by the outlet mall next door. The security people there acted more like prison guards than security personnel. They seemed to not understand that people registered at the hotel were allowed to park in their lot. The front desk people were no help whatsoever.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank uglyphd
Ontario
Reviewed April 19, 2009

I booked this hotel after viewing the details online. I purposely booked this hotel for the convenience of having a continental breakfast. When I checked in I inquired about the breakfast and they told me that they didn't have one and that it shouldn't have been advertised as such online. There was an IHOP next door aind coupons or a deal should have been given to guests at the hotel. The pool was cold, and the hot tub had a cover on it. The front check in staff was a bit snobby.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
lake in the hills, IL
Reviewed September 1, 2008

In a nutshell, wouldn't recommend staying here. To be honest, the hotel rooms were clean and decent sized but after that, I have nothing nice to say about the place! First off, it's further from the sites than what's advertised both on their website and through Expedia which is how I booked the hotel. Second, there is NO free shuttle as had been advertised. Instead, we had to pay for a shuttle that, honestly was a fair price but with the hotel being SO far away that it cost us $25 for a cab from the train station, PLUS the daily shuttle passes, we didn't save anything by booking here. We would have been much better getting something a bit more money but closer/convenient to the Falls. Finally, the breakfast was the WORST I've ever seen so far in a hotel! It was located in the basement LITERALLY, had the bare minimum to eat and the food was dry. Quite depressing. Wouldn't recommend it but I guess you get what you pay for.

• Liked — The room was clean
  • Disliked — NO free shuttle bus, AWFUL breakfast, too far from sights.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Windsor
Reviewed April 25, 2008

After reading not so great reviews about this hotel, we were a bit nervous upon booking. We made sure our rooms were booked in the "front hotel area". We stayed at the Comfort Inn Lundy's Lane with a sports group. It was clean, the staff was friendly & the breakfast was great. The location was nice because it was just off the highway & just a bit out of the "downtown" craziness of Clifton Hill ( only a 5 min drive). The kids loved the pool area & hot tub. Many of our families loved the fact that we could walk over to the outlet mall. Our team also all walked next door to a great restaurant & had a great meal together. I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Niagara Falls & not wanting to stay right amidst the "touristy" Clifton Hill. Great Hotel,Great Value, Nice & Cleanl!!!!

• Liked — The Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008
1 Thank Fvhalfc
Ontario
Reviewed February 1, 2008

We stayed here in January as part of a sports group. When we checked out were in a hurry to get to sports event. Within a couple of hours my daughter realized she had left a watch and necklace (not a cheap one) on the bathroom counter. No problem...we called the hotel instantly and asked. Front desk clerk just said, no, housekeeping hasn't turned anything in. So we looked through all our luggage - not there. Another call to hotel, front desk clerk again abruptly says no. At this point, she should have at least called housekeeping (in case it was just on their cart and not recorded yet or for them to have another look in room before it had new guests in it.) We had friends returning to hotel that night for a 2nd night and she also inquired.
I tried to call the manager the next day to pursue and was told he wasn't in and they didn't know when he would be. We really just wanted to recover the jewellery at this point and figured it was there but just hadn't made it's way to front desk yet. When manager not available I contacted Customer Service at Choice Hotels who intervened to investigate. After a few emails and them telling me the jewellery was not found I then went to their "100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE" as posted on their website. It states if you are not 100% satisfied with your accomodation or the service and you give the hotel every opportunity to make it right they will refund you your nights stay. They would not honor this guarantee. Eventually the manager of the hotel called me...WOW...that was quite an experience...he was rude, be-littling, yelled at me and turned everything I said around...accusing me of accusing his staff of theft (I had given every opportunity to just recover the jewellery with no mention of theft) and that I was just after the money. I tried to explain that we wanted the jewellery back but if it had not been found then at least the money from their own guarantee could go towards replacing it. The manager even acknowledged to me that the front desk clerk made a mistake and should have looked into it further when we first called or at least when we called the 2nd time. After hanging up from this call shaking because he upset me so much I again emailed customer service. They refuse to refund me the nights stay even though their own policy states (and they quoted it in their email to me) that if you are not happy with your accomodation or SERVICE and you tell them and give them the opportunity to fix the issue.
Here is the service issues I was not happy with:
1. Front desk clerk did not respond correctly with initial and 2nd phone call which was done immediately to go to room and look for jewellery or have housekeeping look.
2. We know the jewellery was left on the bathroom counter...3 people saw it there...so Housekeeping did not clean the room in a manner to which they found something left behind in an open place and turn it in and log it as lost and found according to their own policy (which they told me was their policy)
3. The manager of the hotel was rude and abusive to me on the phone.
There are three instances of bad service, all of which I gave them the opportunity to fix and they didn't. So Choice hotels 100% guarantee policy is not really there...they will skirt around it.
I suggested they remove it from their website if they will not honor it. Do not stay at this hotel. We realize the initial mistake was ours in leaving something behind...but what followed was so unnecessary and ridiculous. It should have been an easy fix with our first phone call. If front desk clerk had of gone up to room at that time and looked, I'm sure it would have been sitting there. What happened to it???? Who knows? but it was left there, we don't have it and Choice Hotels has a rude manager and will not honour their own guarantee policy.

• Disliked — the Manager, front desk staff and customer service
  • Stayed January 2008
3 Thank SharonSOntario
california
Reviewed July 25, 2007

The hotel website claimed that they have lots of amenities and freebies like free high speed internet and breakfast and indoor heated pool etc. But when we checked in we were told that we booked the "cheap" room which happens to be in the rear building also known as motel section, and most of the amenities are only available in front building. I remembered that on the checkout screen there was a note in RED that some rooms are located in a separate building, but at no point during reservation I was told where my room was located and what facilities it had.

When we reached our room it turned out to be a smoking room with no ventilation. The motel has external corridors, but ours was one of the two corner rooms which can only be accessed through an "hidden" corridor which connects to the external world through a common door. There was no internet service available in the rear building.

When we complained about the room the friendly young lady at reception offered to give us another room. But when I reached front desk an older lady intervened and said that they have no rooms available. Even when offered to pay more for upgrade she insisted that there was no room available.

Finally I lost my cool, and threatened to walk out of the place. That did the trick. Suddenly there was a room in the main building with king size bed, and we were given a FREE upgrade.

After this initial hassle everything else was nice. The room was pretty neat and clean. The breakfast was average, nothing spectacular nothing bad, but I wish they had little more variety.

So make sure you are getting a room in the main building.

• Stayed July 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank lord_of_the_deals