“Great view, very expensive” 3 of 5 bubbles

Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls
Ranked #15 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sudbury, MA
“Great view, very expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2007

I agree with the other reviewers that the view from the room was breathtaking and simply cannot be beat. The room was nice, but not wonderful. Here are a couple of things of note:

1. There was a fridge, but no microwave.
2. The TV was just o.k. - not many channels.
3. The whirlpool was great, but there is clear glass between the tub area and the bedroom with no way to achieve privacy. We were traveling with our 14 year old son, so my wife's spa soaks were taken with her swimsuit on. Not terrible, but also not as enjoyable as it might have been. Also, when someone is trying to sleep, the noise from the adjoining bathroom (where echoes abound), was a bit much.
4. The sofa bed was useless. My 14 yr old son tried to use it the night we got there and it got jammed - wouldn't go in and wouldn't come out. It took 2 maintenance men about 20 minutes after midnight to get it back in. The mattress in it was total garbage and unusable. In other hotels we stayed in he was happy sleeping on the sofa beds closed up, but this one was too uncomfortable even for that. They sent up a rollaway that had a comfortable mattress but it had a headboard that made it hard to use. He was hanging off the end. Also, it made the room pretty cramped. (I was also a bit annoyed that they didn't offer to do something to make the situation better -- we had to ask. Usually at a luxury hotel they go out of there way to make things right. Not here.)
5. They nickel and dime you for absolutely everything here. Local calls (even 800 numbers) were $2 a piece. Internet access was $12.95 a day or $5/20 minutes in the cafe. Shuttle service was provided at $5 a room (this isn't too bad). Parking was $20/day.
6. Prices and quality in the cafe are pretty good and service was quite good.
7. This is a big hotel with something like 20+ floors. We were on the 11th floor and elevator waits could be quite long. Sometimes 5 minutes or more. If you have reservations someplace, you need to plan in time for the elevator waits. (Most places you wouldn't think about it, but here you definitely need to).

So, although the room and overall property was nice, the price is very steep. We paid $259/night for a falls view room plus all the aforementioned costs & exorbitant Canadian taxes of 16%.

Book well in advance. We were on the road planning our trip as we went. We delayed going to Niagara Falls a week because it would have cost us about $289 instead of $259/night. Had I reserved a week earlier I think I could have had it for even less.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — extremely high price/value for money
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jwg01776

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (827)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2007

Our hotel room was great. It was really clean and had everything we could want, including a very comfortable bed. The views of the falls were wonderful from the hotel. We could even see the fireworks from the hotel observation deck on the 3rd floor. My only complaint were the elevators only 3 of the 4 were working during our stay.

• Liked — the views
  • Disliked — the elevators
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sldIllinois
Muncie, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2007

Whether you opt for a room with a view of the falls or not, this hotel has a great location, good fallsviews and easy walking distance to major attractions. We had their basic king room on the 5th floor with a "city View". The price was reasonable, the room clean and you can't beat their beds, so comfortable!

We ate breakfast only in the hotel, but it was good and the servings most generous. I would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Large room/bath. Great bed.
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank CruiseAway
Coventry, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2007

Having just read some other reviews, Im not sure we actually stayed at the same place?? This hotel was outstanging! At check in the guy was really friendly. Gave us a room on the 30th floor, Im sure if I squinted I could see new york!!!!!

He also explained the various car park costs saying that to park behind the hotel cost 10 dollars per day instead of 20 to park in the hotel car park. Its only 5 dollars further down the street, but we didnt want the bother of the walk.

Buffet breckfast was included and the children ate free. The only thing the buffet didnt have was bread, but they bring out toast if you ask.
We were so impressed that we stayed for an extra night even though it pushed us over budget, the place was just so worth it!

Clifton hill is very touristy, not for us, but really popular with everyone else there. This hotel is about 10-15 mins walk away from the busy area which was perfect for us as we had 2 children with us,. (Who also thought it was the best hotel they have ever stayed at!) and the quiteness suited us fine. The hotel is not the back of the beyonds like some people describe it. We did the entire place on foot over 3 days.

There is a small swimming pool (freezing!) but the kids didnt mind. We didnt eat there, but the evening buffet looked good value for money.

We walked over to the american side and all around the park. Much nicer as you are closer to the water, but better views from the canadian side. We thought the american side was really run down and very dissapointing, but the views make anything bearable. If we could afford it, Id go back again, but it was one of those one in a lifetime things!

Id recommend the maid of the mist from the american side because you get to walk down next to a waterfall, great for getting soaked and photographs! We also did the journey behind the falls...its was all incredible!

Id definately recommend this hotel to anyone I know.

• Liked — Without doubt the view!
  • Disliked — Nothing it was great. If I had to be picky, maybe a bigger pool, but the kids were happy
7 Thank bennybex
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2007

Just stayed at the hotel July 5-7. I had better expectations, and I wish I booked Sheraton on the Falls instead because it's more central to all activities. The rooms are nice, but a bit overpriced. The breakfast at the Steakhouse is a rip-off , and the choice at the buffet breakfast is very limited. The indoor pool at the hotel is very small and pretty much very crowded most of the time. The area around the hotel is nice, but quiet.

2 Thank helenaNewYork
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2007

1 of the other posts calling the hotel "sneaky" was quite funny and, in my opinion, accurate. This is based on my experience of this hotel attempting to over-charge me for my rooms. After 2 months of arguing with them they finally refunded me. But this was after numerous threats, my credit card company acting on my behalf & hours of calls and emails. They made me work to get MY OWN money back. Shady.

Sure, the original problem could have been a mistake (not sure if incompetence is better or worse than being unscrupulous!) but their approach to dealing with the issue was not kosher. Almost as if they were hoping that I would just give up so they could keep my money.

I also had problems with the service - good for a motel but not for a Starwood-affiliated hotel.

I sent a few letters of complaint and concern. In response, the management sent me an email saying they believed that they had handled the matter well. Clearly, once they have your money, your views are irrelevant. Starwood has actually been quite helpful (probably because they are concerned about 1 bad apple marring their global reputation).

All in all, stay at this hotel at your own risk. Just sleep with your valuables & check the final check out bill with a microscope.

• Stayed May 2007
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank horatiojml
Hamilton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2007

Recently stayed at this hotel for a conference. It is beautiful. I'm not from very far away, but the views amazed me. We had a singer/songwriter showcase on the 3rd floor terrace over looking the falls, it was awesome. The staff were wonderful. The beds were so comfortable. Food was pricey, but that's expected in a tourist town. All in all, it was a wonderful 5 day conference.

• Liked — the staff were gread
  • Disliked — food prices
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank OzzydogHamilton