“Enjoyed the Sheraton Fallsview”

Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls
Ranked #16 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto
“Enjoyed the Sheraton Fallsview”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2007

Spent the weekend with my boyfriend at the Sheraton Fallsview and had a great time.

The view of the Falls from our room on the 25th floor was AMAZING!!!

Sweet Sleeper beds are soooo comfortable, bathroom had plenty of space, room was clean, staff was pleasant.

The only downsides were the price of the buffet, which we skipped only because of the price (the buffets are less expensive at the casinos), and the pool/hot tub area is small and it was full of screaming children, not exactly a place we could relax.

Bonus - they also had a small fridge to keep your drinks cool which we were happy about.

We will definitely consider staying at the Sheraton Fallsview on our next trip to Niagara in the spring!

• Liked — The view of the Falls from the room and the Sweet Sleeper Bed
  • Disliked — The buffet price and the pool area
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TorontoTravelgirl77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (835)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dundas, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2007

We stayed at this hotel this past weekend and found everything to be great. I had a gift certificate given to me by my daughter and she booked us a spa room with buffet breakfast and parking included. We checked in about 2 hours early and had no problem getting our room early and they upgraded us to an executive suite, I asked for late check out and that was no problem. Room was beautiful as was the view. We ate dinner in the in house restaurent "A Cut Above" and found the food to be fabulous. I had read some past reviews and read some complaints about the elevator. We had no problems with the speediness of the elevators. I also read that the staff was not very helpful. We found the opposite case. The front desk staff was very friendly, helpful and efficient. I have stayed in some other hotels in Niagara Falls, my husband and I have decided that we will only stay at the Sheraton. Best hotel in Niagara Falls.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Flamboughchick
Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2007

The good:
Had a 3-night stay in a premium room for my husband and I, our 2 year-old and our infant. Sitting room had plenty of space for us and for our toddler to run around. View of Horseshoe Falls was amazing. View of American falls and bridge just ok. The fireplace was a perfect touch for our Autumn trip. Bed was very comfy and there was enough storage space for all our belongings. We had a tiny "kitchen area" with a mini-fridge, coffee maker and shelves, which really helps when traveling with kids. The bathroom was beautiful and huge. Everything was very clean. The valets were very prompt, both in delivering our bags and our auto. Most staff nice and very accommodating with our children.

The bad:

The pool area has no ambiance whatsoever. It is so very sterile in there. Nevertheless, that was my son's favorite part of the trip.

The elevator on our floor had a malfunction - the "down" button did not work. We had to press the up button, hope there was enough room for us to get on with the double stroller, then go all the way up to go down again. This went on for all 3 days. One would think they could have made that a priority to fix.

Now, the really bad:

On our first night, before we went to bed at 11pm my husband and I went to the window to take one last look at the falls. We looked down and saw firetrucks and police cars in the parking lot. There were no alarms ringing so we sat tight for a bit. Then I called the front desk and was told everything was ok. The emergency vehicles were still there after 30 minutes, so we figured there must be a medical emergency or someone was trying to jump from the roof. So we decided to turn in. However, being a nervous mother I made sure to check the fire escape route, and I packed up our necessities bag and put all our shoes and coats at the foot of the bed. Good thing...just as I fell asleep the fire alarm started blaring! So we pull the boys out of bed (at midnight!), dress them and start running down the stairs from the 21st floor. We got to the 16th floor and were met by a staffer and were told it was a false alarm and to go back to our room. However the elevators were turned off so we had to walk back up the 5 floors (which doesn't sound so bad, but we're carrying a sleeping toddler, an infant in his carrier, and a big diaper bag.) And I told my husband I thought I smelled smoke, but we were assured nothing was wrong. Regardless, we didn't sleep the rest of the night! Then to make matters worse, the next day I happened to get on the elevator with a hotel mechanic and I questioned him about the night before, and he fessed up that there was an electrical fire on the 15 floor and the whole floor was filled with smoke. I am so angry that the hotel let us sit up there for over an hour and tell us that nothing was wrong. I had two babies with us in that room. God forbid the fire got out of control and it was too late for us to get down past the 15 th floor. So, for that reason alone I will not stay at the hotel again.

• Liked — Nice, clean, comfortable
  • Disliked — The fire
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank tinabtw
CRussellNiagaraFalls, Revenue Manager / Cathy Russell at Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls, responded to this review, January 21, 2007
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on tripadvisor. I am very concerend about what you say happened, and want to assure you that this is NOT the kind of experience that we want you to have at our hotel. I have spoken at length to our security manager, who assured me that we had no such electrical fire, so I am asking that you contact me directly to provide me some more information. Also, we do not have a 21st floor in our hotel, so I was unable to recall your account by room number. I can be reached by email at: cathyrussell@fallsview.com. Thank you.
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2007

The Sheraton Fallsview has a view that can't be beat, and rates that still undercut nearby hotels. But the devil is in the details, and this hotel is seriously bedeviled by the details...

This is the third time my wife and I have stayed at this property, and despite a view of the falls that is literally breathtaking, we've decided it's just not worth going back. Most recently, we were there with other family members, and had booked 4 rooms.

Rooms:
We booked two king and two double rooms, and the king-double rooms were supposed to be adjoining. We booked directly with the hotel to ensure this would be the case. While they accommodated our room type requests, we initially were given rooms on completely different floors, and even after some switching, none could be adjoining.

The rooms themselves are clean and spacious. There's not a bad falls-view room in the hotel, I doubt. Unlike many Fallsview properties, there is currently no buildings of any type blocking this hotel's vista.

Alas, one more lack of attention to detail was exhibited when one of our rooms was already occupied by another guest. Imagine our surprise when the room key worked, and we walked in on a family preparing to go out for the afternoon!

Also, if you are a Starwood Preferred Guest upper-tier member, note that this hotel flagrantly and admittedly violates Starwood policies. They will only upgrade Platinum guests to better room classes, even if better rooms are available. Golds need not apply...

Front Desk Staff:
While very friendly and sincerely trying to be helpful, something about the way this hotel is managed makes them utterly ineffective. They are unable to answer most questions and don't expect any competence with dealing with unexpected situations. When one of our party was given the already-occupied room, the Manager offered two passes to the Club-level breakfast the next morning.

Well, there were supposed to be 3 people in that room, and the Manager would only give passes to 2, so one of the family was left out regardless. Thinking they could bring something back, the two went up the next morning, only to discover that the Club level was CLOSED for breakfast that day! So, the "compensation" was completely useless. The person on-duty the next morning apologized, but "can't do anything." Yet another dropped detail.

Food:
The buffet restaurant has a good-looking but overpriced brunch. If you want to dine with a view, this is clearly your place. Those in the family that ate there said it was tasty and had a good selection, but wasn't nearly worth what they charged, even with the view.

Later in the day, however, don't expect to eat ANYTHING here. The bistro in the lobby closes at noon, and the pub across the hall doesn't open until 2:00 PM. There is no way to get a quick bite to eat anywhere at this property between those hours.

Shuttle:
The hotel used to offer a free shuttle to the Casino Niagara property over on Cliffton Hill, and a shuttle down to the falls viewing area. The Casino shuttle no longer exists, and the falls shuttle runs on a sparse schedule and costs $5 per person for a pass. Not worth it when you consider the other methods of transportation available in Niagara Falls.

Overall this hotel is a well-maintained hotel in an absolutely fabulous location with very reasonable rates. If you stay here, you'll probably have a good experience. But if you plan to spend a lot of time in or around the hotel, or if the weather is foul, don't expect too much. A warm bed and great view is about all they have to offer. Scratch the surface, and it's pretty clear that there is not much worthwhile underneath the facade of this hotel...

• Liked — Location and view
  • Disliked — Complete lack of attention to detail
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
10 Thank Darlox
Cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2007

We stayed four nights, but two would have been enough to see the area attractions. However, the hotel was wonderful, great views from the upper floors - best to be at floor 12 or higher. We had a lovely dining experience in the skylon Tower - a must. This Sheraton is on the best side of the town, with more night time activity. They have a great buffet, but a bit expensive.

• Liked — the views
  • Disliked — paying for use of gym
  • Tips/Secrets — two nights is enough in the area, but most enjoyable
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MaryCork
Chatham-Kent, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2006

We stayed for 2 days during Christmas. We had 2 rooms booked, one with kids to accommodate dog. Hotel staff was excellent towards the dog. On the 2nd night, 11 hockey teams checked in. I complained to the desk about the noise and they immediately upgraded us to a suite on the 26th floor. Very Quiet. Dogs always stay on 3rd floor - very nice room with a view of the falls and a balcony for fireworks. My only complaint was that upon arrival, room was promised for 3:00 and it wasn't ready until 4:30 and staff was not overly friendly at the check-in desk.
I would stay at this hotel again, but only gave neutral rating because of the staff at check in. All other staff were very nice.

Stayed December 2006
4 Thank traveller14261
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2006

We have stayed at this hotel several times without issue. We are Starwood Preferred Gold Members and Yesterday we tried to book a room through [--] (starwood preferred guest) as we always do. We were given a rate of $169 each night and a total of $385.32 CAN for the stay. This was step 2 of our reservation process and when we pressed "conplete this reservation" we got an error. We then called "Starwood Preferred Guest" phone line for assistance.

They were very helpful and also got the same error, they called the hotel directly and after a long time came back to us and told us that the hotel would not offer the rate and it was an error. The guy at Starwood head office was pretty embarrased and apologized again and again.

I then called the Reservation Manager who told me to speak to the Revenue Manager, I left her a message ane up until now, she has yet to call me back.

I understand this is the biggest night of the year for Niagara Falls hotels, but to snub a returning guest who is also a Gold Member of your own Preferred Guest Pregram is pretty bad. I understand that errors do happen, but at least have the decency to call me back with an explaination.

I WOULD NOT RECCOMMEND this hotel simply on PRINCIPAL alone, there are so many other equally and nice hotels rooms in the city.

By the way, I called Hilton Honors and within 15 minutes I had redeemed our Hilton Homors points for 2 free nights, no problems and no fuss.

Thanks for nothing Starwood!

• Disliked — Management Staff
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple