“Used all my reward miles”

Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls
Ranked #10 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 20, 2006

We return to Niagara Falls only after the effects of the previous visit has sufficiently worn off. In this instance, it took two years. The place is in a constant state of flux. It's more Las Vegas than Atlantic City now, with some upscale dining and a reduced emphasis on tackiness at Clifton Hill.
And we usually stay at some of the lesser accommodation lights in the city. But on this occasion, I had 61,000 travel reward miles rotting away on my credit card, so I thought it would an inexpensive trip. So we booked a fireplace jacuzzi suite at the Sheraton.
I have to say, the room was just OK. The view was spectacular, however, on the 28th floor.
It was 120 degrees outside, so the fireplace was decoration. The layout is very odd, with the desk languishing in front of the window and the very uncomfortable couch perpendicular to the fireplace. The bedroom is a separate entity and the bathroom is colossal. Bigger than the bedroom.
I booked the Sheraton for two reasons: The views are top drawer. And the bedding Sheraton has adopted is the best in the biz.
Those things measured up. But if I were paying the $350 a night they charge for this room, my money would not be well-spent.
Some further irritants:
- I was dinged for $20 a day to park in their parking lot.
- They charge $4.50 for a bottle of water. Desani, no less.
- I waited 20 minutes to get a beer in the lounge. Total customers in the bar: Me. Total wait staff: 3. What were they doing? Not serving me.
- I asked for the concierge for a dinner recommendation. She recommended the hotel restaurant, which is what she's supposed to do, I suppose, but didn't seem to know any others.
- The pool was absolutely filthy. Inside and out. The change rooms were under construction and the shower, which is mandatory for everyone to use, was broken and cordoned off with caution tape.
There was hair all over the sides of the pool. I stepped in with my infant daughter to cool off, saw the film of oil on the surface and went and took a cool shower in my room instead.
- The hotel is showing its age.
- The elevators must be hand-operated, they are so slow.
- It's not family friendly, but their call-in child-sitting service is excellent.

I will say the staff is very friendly, the food in the snack bar is not as bad as you'd suspect ($39 for two eggs, toast and coffee for two people - thanks Niagara!).

It took me about two years to compile those reward miles. In another two, I might be ready to go back to the Falls. But we'll be trying our luck at the Niagara Fallsview Resort by using the reward miles there.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
12  Thank Cluggee
There are newer reviews for Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls

Reviewed August 14, 2006

Positive side: Great view if your room is on an upper floor. Our room was on the top, 3105, with a great view of the falls as well as fireworks on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, 10 PM. The room was simply but nicely decorated with a nice coffee station, in-room safe and refrigerator. (no minibar). The water bottles were clearly marked "$4.00 each" so easy to avoid using and being charged. Our room was 100% smoke free and quiet. The beds were extremely comfortable. Location was not bad but certainly not the best.
Not so positive is the $22.80 (with tax) per night parking. The casino is not near this hotel. It is two blocks away so the "free" casino parking is very inconvenient and exhausting. We ended up parking at the hotel. The Sheraton on the Falls has a casino attached and is more centrally located so I am guessing some reviewers maybe confused that hotel with this one. The Sheraton on the Falls is the most centrally located out of all the hotels. Embassy Suites, The Oaks, and the Niagara Fallsview Casino are all closer to transportation and attractions then this hotel but the quietness on the street is a plus. Breakfast was an expensive venture as well. On the average, we spent about $15.00 per person each morning.
A reminder to travelers is to stop at the duty free shop PRIOR to leaving Canada to get back your VAT (value added taxes). However, this was the first time I booked via Expedia, not the hotel site, and found out that the taxes are not refundable because the purchase was made and taxes paid via the U.S. Keep this in mind when comparing prices.
As recommended via other reviews, The Adventure Pass was a good deal and was available at information centers clearly marked as well as at the incline railway located behind the Embassy Suites. The railway costs $1.75 (US) each way per person. The Adventure Pass includes all day (one day) use of the People Mover (bus) and the incline railway, addmission to the Journey Behind the Falls (located at the base of the Incline Railway, the Maid of the Mist boat ride located North of the railway, and admission to the Water Walk and Butterfly Conservatory, both located north. Parking is available and free at both the Water Walk and Butterfly Conservatory / Botanical Gardens (free). Take advantage of setting priority times when validating your tickets. This will save you time waiting on line. A perfect time for Maid of the Mist and Journey behind the falls is around 9:30 -10:00 AM. This is after the first 9:00 AM rush and before the crowds at 10:30 and on.
Clifton Hill is very touristy but good for children. We did not travel with children so we just drove the street which was enough as you get very tired of walking.
Dining: The Skylon offers two types of dining... a stationary buffet and a revolving dining room. We chose the revolving dining room early bird seating and were very happy. Two meals (salad, dinner, desert) and one drink came to $100 (US) with a generous tip. I recommend this for a nice quiet night. Parking is expensive, especially on Saturday night so take advantage of the free parking at the casino and enter the Skylon on Murray street or park in the lot across from the Skylon ($7.00 versus $15.00 on Saturday).
Tony Romas was a bit basic but the food was good. The breakfast buffet was adequate and did the trick for $12.99 pp (without taxes and tip). A good seafood restaurante, off the beaten path, was the Fine Kettle O' Fish. A nice lunch stop when visiting Niagara on the Lake. Located on Drummond Rd and Huggins near the junction of Portage Rd. (found in the AAA book). The atmosphere is a little run down but the service and food were fantastic!
The wine route around and through Niagara on the Lake is a nice drive offering wine tastings, vineyard tours, and interesting views of peach trees and grape vines as well as roadside county fruit and vegetable stands..... very country.
Hotels offering views of the falls include Sheraton on the Falls located at Rainbow Bridge entering Canada, then the Niagara Fallsview Casino, The Oakes, Embassy Suites, the Marriott, and then the Sheraton Fallsview (being the farthest from walkways).

This hotel and the area attractions make for a very nice three night stay.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Lorrie2
Reviewed August 11, 2006

Just got back from a four night trip to Canada, 3 nights in Toronto & 1 night in Niagara Falls. It was our first time going to these places and was really impressed with the Sheraton. The location is great, its near several places to get a bite to eat, the casino is within walking distance and the views cannot be matched. The hotel is clean and the rooms are huge!

The only two problems are the costs to park overnight ($20 self park) and the room was not ready when we arrived. We were told by a woman at the front desk (I don't remember her name, but she was very rude, she had black hair with blonde streaks) anyway we were told to come back in an hour. After 45 mins we were given the key to the room. The woman also gave me a hard time to exchange $40 US to Canadien currency. I had to get it from a man standing next to her. I did not let her ruin my time at the Sheraton. I will recommend it to anyone. I plan on going back next year.

PS You have to try Journey behind the falls, maid of the mist and check out the casino, oh and also take a look at the falls from right in front of the hotel, it will take your breath away.

2  Thank mymr2us
Reviewed August 10, 2006

Excellent hotel what a view breathtaking all from the comfort of a fallsview room. Very central walking distance from the falls and eating places can highly reccommend this hotel.

1  Thank Ranwelli
Reviewed August 7, 2006

No doubt about it, the hotel offers some great views. Unfortunately booking six months in advance doesn't guarantee that you'll get one! We booked a whirlpool bath with view. We got that but being on the 6th floor nearest the elevator meant that we could only view the USA power station. We enquired about being located to a higher room but this fell on deaf ears. I had been to this hotel some 30 years earlier as a teenager. I'm sorry to say that it hadn't changed much since then. It needs to in order to keep up with the competition. As it is, it relies on its location only - which is hard to beat. The lifts are the slowest to arrive that I can ever remember. The hotel dining was adequate at most - good choice but a very noisy and unromantic atmosphere. Maybe we were just unlucky. I wouldn't rush back and I don't feel that I would recommend the hotel to others.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank WadeGray
Reviewed August 3, 2006

I don't think there's much that I can add that hasn't already been said. This is an excellent hotel with a fantastic view of the falls. I don't think you can top that moment when you walk into your room and look out of the window for the first time. What a sight.
The rooms are well furnished and very clean. Loved the spa bath.
I agree that it is a fair walk down to the falls but that's the price you pay for the view and the quiet. If you don't want to walk you can always take the lift down the cliffs for $2 each way. I can't believe that anyone would stay in this hotel and take a city view room. The Maid of The Mist was good but didn't go close enough for my liking. My only gripe like everyone else is the car park charge. How they can charge $20 a day is beyond me. However if you drive straight through the car park there's another one across the road for only $10 a day. I would definietly recomend this hotel to anyone visiting Niagara

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank SteveHammer
Reviewed July 26, 2006

My husband and I visited the Sheraton Hotel July 14-17. We had a city view but took the upgrade for $30 extra a night. It was well worth it for the view. Online we would have paid almost double for the same room! It was quite a walk to everything but we have been to the falls many times and enjoyed it. Other times we took the car. We did not park our car in their parking lot (what a rip off). We chose a cheaper alternative. We enjoyed our favorite restaurants (Antica and Remington's). We ate at the Casino buffet which suprisingly was also very good.

Room wise, The Marriot has better up to date rooms and they are cleaner, but we would stay at the Sheridan again.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ginasuprema