“New Years Let Down”

Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls
Ranked #10 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Firstly I booked through Expedia on Dec 31 at 2pm. Few hours later after I booked my son became unwell and I needed to cancel (as fellow parents out there would understand). I called Expedia and they called the hotel and tried to get a full refund but couldn't and told me that not only was the Duty manager very unprofessional, but unwilling to give a refund. I understand policies, however in this case, it was booked just broader canceling and due to circumstances out of my control, thought the hotel would be more understanding. I did call the General Manager and Executive Assistant but got voicemails and no return phone call back. So, we weren't about to lose $400 so we went, bags, bucket, gloves and all.

I found the front desk service not to be overly friendly and welcoming. I had asked about CAA discount but because I booked through Expedia was told I couldn't use that type of discount. Fair enough. I did explain my situation to the front desk and he did see notes on my file from Front Desk Manager - but really, no compassion or understanding.

We made it through night one, even with the pipes sounding like they we going to burst everything the shower went on. Even though it is a non smoking hotel, the hall reeked of smoke. (Kind of expected on New Years). Then at 2am, loud hallways due to drunk youngsters. (Again, expected and we just ignored it).

I think what I was more frustrated with was that our queen sized bed had double sized sheets on it and no fitted sheet so it kept coming off. The mattress cover didn't have elastics to hold it in place so it kept bunching up. I had to call around 1am to get fitted sheets and re make the bed.

Breakfast, we ate in Milestones. I would rank it as 4/10. Carpets were dirty, our booth was filthy and had to be cleaned before sitting down. Our server was prompt with coffee and very friendly. The food was sub par. We opted for the buffet. The fruit dishes were empty, pastry trays empty with crumbs, and omelette station not overly clean and organized. The price was $19 which was ok but I would have removed empty serving trays had I been managing this restaurant.

We wanted to get our car which was in valet and waited over 30 min for it and when we realized it wasn't coming went to the attendants whom hasn't even been notified yet. The front desk clerk wasn't overly friendly and I think dropped the ball, or the car attendants did. I understand it is a busy day, but they should be organized and prepared to meet high numbers of customers, after all, this is the type of business they are in, service.

My overall experience hasn't been good with this hotel and I don't think I'll be back.

Stayed: January 2014
4410, General Manager at Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Dear Travelling_Two,

We are very sorry to hear of your experiences at our hotel. We apologize for providing your family with a less than satisfactory stay. We hope that your son is feeling much better now. I understand how disappointed you must feel after your stay with us. I have shared your comments with my team to ensure that these issues are rectified as we are always striving to provide the best experiences to our guests. We hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we may provide you with a more memorable vacation.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

One of the reasons we booked a hotel room at the Marriott was to photograph the Niagara falls. I have professional photographic equipment and was planning on taking photos for my portfolio. After driving for seven hours, we were glad to get to the hotel and relax. When we arrived at the front desk, we were advised that there will be a surcharge of $20 per day for self parking. We were forced to pay it whether we liked it or not. That was not mentioned when we booked the room well in advance. Surprise!
When we entered the room,on the 31st floor we noticed a large crack in the window. This was causing condensation on the glass making it difficult for photographing the falls. (one of the main reasons for staying at this hotel)
I mentioned this to the lady at the front desk, and she said she could get a glass company to look at the window, But no one came. I wasn't happy! It was quite obvious the crack had been there for a while, and I'm sure the hotel knew of this.
The best part of our stay was the cleaning lady was always so friendly to us and would always say hi.
We went to Starbucks in the main lobby and ordered some coffee and snacks. I handed the cashier my Starbucks gift card and she said "sorry, we don't take those here". So, we walked a block away to the Embassy suites hotel where they also have a Starbucks in their lobby. They were very friendly and accepted our Starbucks gift card.
As for the breakfast at Milestones at the Marriott gateway, it's 19.99 per person plus taxes and tips. We opted to go to Tony Romas right next door at the Radisson hotel. The breakfast buffet was only $9.99 per person.
Everytime we took a shower, the shower would make a loud squeaking noise. And the room was cold. We turned up the thermostat and the unit would run constantly and was also very noisy.
The morning of our check out, the bill was slid under our door. It was more expensive than our original booking. They charged us $90.82 more than the booked price! We were quoted $534.88 (taxes included) and we were billed $625.70 for three days. One of the extra charges is a PF fee (promotional fee) $20.27 was added to my bill. I feel we should have received a discount for the inconveniences we endured during our 3 day stay. I was perfectly willing to pay the original quoted price. Oh, yes, the wifi is an additional cost! The lady who served us at the front desk had a "I don't care" attitude.This was our second stay at this hotel, but I don't think we will be returning. P.S. check out my photos of the broken window

3  Thank bigbartbass
4410, General Manager at Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear bigbartbass,

I am sorry to hear that you did not have an enjoyable second stay with us. This is not the service that we strive to provide to our guests. I apologize for the issues encountered in your guestroom and that proper follow up was not done while you were here with us. I understand how disappointed you must feel after your stay.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again when you are visiting Niagara Falls. We would love you to have a more memorable stay.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We found a good weekend rate in December and stayed for 2 nights, realized that this was the Sheraton Fallsview before Marriott took over. We didn't opt for the breakfast as our kids are late risers, however, I'd suggest to take the buffet breakfast package: for $20 adult pp and $11 kids, it's a good deal. The front desk was nice enough to give us a $25 dinner coupon at the Milestone, which we used (separate review for Milestone). We had stayed at the Sheraton at the Falls with the waterpark package last year, and found that to be a slightly better deal with lots of things to do (for kids as well as adults, including the hypnotist show). However, we just wanted to relax and hang out as a family, and this stay offered just that.

A pleasant surprise was the supplies in the room. I was so impressed with the chamomile tea infusion that I looked up online and just ordered some more. The toiletries were also impressive and I looked that up as well. Higher floors will definitely provide a better view especially for the fireworks. The room was spacious and comfortable, although the carpet seems a bit dated. Agree with other reviews that the elevator system takes a little getting used to, it's controlled on the outside, not the inside. We were a bit disappointed with the pool, it's located at an odd spot, right next to the back entrance of the parking lot, and the main lobby elevators: which makes navigating to the pool a bit of a challenge with cold wind, and guest traffic. Loved the ambience of the lounge and Starbucks.

As for parking, we parked at the casino for the first night, but gave up and self park the second night for $20.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Good Day love_to_travel1188,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. I am very pleased to hear that you had a nice family getaway at our hotel. I hope that we will see you again soon.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure of spending a couple of days recently at this hotel. It is located directly across from Horseshoe Falls at the end of Fallsview Boulevard, this made access very easy, both coming and going [ we drove from our home in Maryland ]. We had a Fallsview room [ King suite w/loft ] on the 22nd floor, and it couldn't get any better. The views from our room were fantastic to say the least with the [3] falls in front and the skyline of Niagara Falls, NY across the way [very beautiful at night]. Our room was fantastic with the fireplace and couch downstairs and the jacuzzi tub upstairs in the loft with the king bed [which was very comfortable]. The hotel staff at all levels, were all extremely friendly and helpful. We truly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Book a Fallsview room, king suite w/fireplace if possible. It costs a little extra, but I believe it...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4410, General Manager at Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Good Day Billy R,

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful comments. We are delighted to hear that you had a memorable stay with us. I hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed December 26, 2013

I have been coming to this hotel for almost 7 years every Christmas now and feel that the place is going down with the quality of service. The lobby was freezing, I understand people are going in and out,however they need to keep the temperature up. All other hotels around have free Wifi in rooms, they only had it at the Restaurant and lobby which is disappointing. It was not like that when it was the Sheraton. The bar at the the lobby was closed the whole time when the lobby was full of people. It is so stuffy in the room, ventilation wasn't working in the bathroom. Housekeeping staff was not friendly at all.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Good Day Rmt007,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am sorry to hear that this stay was not on par with previous stays. I understand how disappointed your must feel. I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we may provide you with a better experience.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

The reason I didn't give this hotel five star was cold reception that we got on our arrival, everything else was great. We stayed at 9th floor and the view was amazing. Waking up to see Niagara Falls was the highlight of our stay. I didn't like giving $30 for valet parking but I must say the valet parking service was pretty amazing and quick. Breakfast buffet, which was complimentary with the deal we got for the fallsview room from livingsocial, was delicious. Their pancakes,waffles and croissants were fresh and tasty and server was really good too.
Lady at the tour desk was warm,knowledgable and really friendly. All in all it was a great stay and I really miss the breakfast of this hotel .

Room Tip: Livingsocial gives great deals on this hotel ($129 for fallsview room 2 queen size beds room, which...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Good Day LUCKS25,

Thank you for your comments. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you did not have the best experience upon your arrival but I am happy to hear that the rest of your stay was great.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

We stayed here for a little weekend getaway.

1. Perfect location to view the falls from our room
2. They upgraded us to a suite! Nice hot tub bath and fireplace
3. Comfy bed and a pull out couch in the separate TV area. We liked the pull out couch the most because we loved staring out the window at the falls and watching TV, which we couldnt do from the bedroom
4. Big bathroom with good water pressure.
5. Quiet

CONS
1. Pay WiFi in the room...free in the lobby. Slightly weird because who doesnt have free WiFi now??
2. $20 pay parking per night.

Overall, the base room was pretty cheap but once you add in the extras of parking and wifi its still cheap just not as it originally seemed. I feel like they should just increase the price and include parking and WiFi.

It was just what we were looking for. A nice little hotel that was relatively cheap. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4410, General Manager at Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Good Day Sleopold22,

Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that you had a nice stay and would come and join us again. We appreciate your comments. See you soon.