“Great location and fallsview rooms”

Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls
Ranked #10 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hyattsville, Maryland
“Great location and fallsview rooms”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed at the Marriott Gateway on July 31, 2013 on the 10th floor in a falls view room. The hotel is in a great location and the view of the falls really is spectacular. Parking is $20, not sure if it is per night or per stay, since we only stayed one night.

Positives:
-The lobby and dining areas are newly remodeled and very nice. Modern and welcoming.
-The falls view room in which we stayed had a great view.
-The lower floors also have a view of the falls from the elevator lobby.
-The concierge packages are convenient, although we did not use them, they were very informative and helpful.
-The lobby staff was very accommodating and friendly.
-The hotel breakfast was really nice. For the price of ~$20 per adult and $10 per child over 5, there is a juice bar, omlette station, waffle station, a la carte pastries and breads, that can be toasted at your leisure, a la carte fruit, yogurt, cold and hot cereals... Also hot teas, etc.
-The gym is really nice, good range of modern equipment and a nice open space altogether.
-The Niagra Falls circulator bus that takes you to the main attractions (WeGO) has a stop in front of the hotel.

Negatives:
-At least on our floor, the overall decor could use a serious update and the carpeting in the hall and in the room could definitely use a good cleaning or a complete replacement altogether. Stains on the carpeting were really visible.
-The room is a decent size, although a bit on the small size in my opinion. We had a room with 2 queen beds and our 2 young daughters roomed with us.
-The bathroom is TOO small and could use an update and a good cleaning. There was mold visible on some of the grout of the tiles. The bathtub was really dated, as well. The bathroom was so small that they literally cut a curve into the door so that it could pass the toilet.
-They charge for wi-fi! If you are a gold+ rewards member apparently this service is free, but based on the room rates, everyone should be able to access wi-fi in my opinion.

For me this hotel is a 3.5 because of all the negatives, listed above. But we only stayed there one night and we did not feel as though we wasted our money. I will probably try the other Marriott on the falls next year. If they update the decor throughout the hotel, fix that madness in the bathroom, I would give it 4-5 stars.

Room Tip: Falls view room is worth the few extra bucks if you can swing it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ClairAK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (924)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Camby, Indiana
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Our room was amazing! It was upgraded to a suite as our room wasn't ready. Nicest hotel room I've ever stayed in. Even had a fireplace. I never take a bath in a hotel but the tub was huge and clean. We even had the nicest bathrobes.

• Stayed July 2013
South Daytona, Florida
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Hotel was nice. Good location. Would have given 5 stars but the pay for wifi was horrible..slow, had to keep resigning in to get it to finally kick in. The WeGo bus schedule they provided was a copy of a copy of a copy, etc...you get my drift...so hard to read, faint print, crooked. They should have these easily accessible rather than making us wait for 10 mins in line just to get schedule and a map of area.

Room Tip: We had a city view and did not feel we needed a falls view. By the time you have spent the day at t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Near Princeton, NJ
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Hotel room was clean with great view of the falls. Felt like in between a Courtyard Marriott and a Marriott. The staff was very friendly. The hotel location is a 15 min walk to the falls. It is closer to the incline which is a plus. The hotel entrance was not as busy as other hotels which was nice.

• Stayed August 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I booked room 1807, overlooking the falls for three nights for just my son and me for his birthday. I debated on spending the extra money on a room for all three nights overlooking the falls and I am SO GLAD I did!! In the summer, they light up the falls from 9p-midnight. The first night that we got there we were exhausted from traveling, so took carry-out to our room and had a WONDERFUL dinner overlooking the falls. The next morning, we had our coffee (and hot chocolate, which I brought from home) overlooking the falls in our pajamas. What a wonderful way to start a day!! We ended up having a nightly ritual of watching the lights with a snack (once a cookie from the Hershey store--yum!) and waking up with breakfast in the room. The hotel does not include breakfast with the room and Canada is EXPENSIVE (we're from the US), so since the room had a mini fridge, we picked up a box of cereal and milk from a local convenience store and had that for breakfast. The hotel has a very small pool and hot tub and there are LOTS of families who stay there. This was great since my son made friends, but would not be so great if you were trying to have a romantic getaway poolside. We didn't eat at the hotel (again, very expensive). Free wifi in the lobby/Starbucks, and wifi at a cost in the room. One thing to note is that this hotel was the closest hotel to the Horseshoe falls--which was a perfect location for seeing both the Anerican (and Bridal Veil) and Horseshoe falls. The "Wego" (public shuttle/people mover) has a stop just out front of the hotel, which made it easy to get places. However, to get the Adventure Pass (which includes free 48-hr Wego passes), you have to walk to Table Rock (an easy, downhill 10-minute walk). The hotel is not close to Clifton Hill, which I did on purpose because we were there to see the falls and not the touristy attractions on the Hill. I loved the location of our hotel!! There is an inclined rail thing that will cut down on the walk that will be back up-and-running in Aug 2013 (they are converting it to an all-weather rail). The travel desk was helpful, but closes early. The front desk help was great! Good customer service. We were very happy! :)

• Stayed July 2013
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We enjoyed staying here. It's a large hotel at the end of the main commercial road in Niagara Falls. Reasonable room rates. I used the business center for the internet (I could even print at no charge) which was easy. The gym was updated and large by most standards. The beds were comfy.

2 comments: 1/ we got a weather wake-up call at 7:15AM without having asked for one that woke us all up for the day. 2/ i noticed that when I looked up the room rate (i've never done that before) for the 2nd night in the am of our second day there, it was lower than what it was when I booked so i got them to adjust it to the lower price - I'll try to remember to do that in the future, i saved $20 which can pay for 1 day of parking.

Room Tip: It might be worth paying for a falls view if you plan on spending time in your room - we did not and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Woodridge, Illinois
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights and 4 days (Aug1-Aug 4 2013) for our first stay at a "destination" Marriott Hotel. The room was booked through Hotels,com website for those who are interested.

We chose the falls view side of the hotel for a much higher price. Yes the room over looks the falls and the view is spectacular BUT....the rooms are small and decorations are mid-90's? What's up with that? The room did have a flat screen TV. The bathroom is small; the beds were a little too soft for our comfort; NO microwave in the room, the coffeemaker in the room had coffee packets that did not fit the coffee maker(it has square plastic trays to insert in the coffeemaker but the coffeemaker required the disc style bags) sooooo the coffee was very tasteless. I did notify the desk and they brought up a different coffeemaker.
The AC unit was noisy when it turned on so our sleep pattern was really broken...

There is a pool and Jacuzzi available but we did not take advantage of it because we were out
t seeing the attractions.

This should actually be rated a 2-3 star hotel because the price does not match the services and amenities provided. As I got my Starbucks in the lobby, I heard several other people expressing complaints about the hotel. it varied from parking issues, security issues to the cost of the $5 bottle of Gatorade in the gift shop.

They did have a Starbucks in the lobby that opens at 7am.
One safety issue of concern that I reported
The hotel has maintenance issues. Some lights on the elevator didn't work and one morning when getting Starbucks coffee, the ride up was a little scary...I was actually thinking we might plummet to our death or be stuck or something disastrous when the car started the ascent to the 8th floor. The car jerked and then stopped, then jerked again then shuddered...then took off. I told the guy next to me I hope we make it out alive. :(

Room Tip: I would actually book a different place. instead of trying to explain what to do to get a better roo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family