“Marriott Gateway on the Falls in quieter area of Niagara Falls” 3 of 5 bubbles

Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls
Ranked #15 of 129 Hotels in Niagara Falls
GreenLeadersSilver level
North Vancouver, Canada
“Marriott Gateway on the Falls in quieter area of Niagara Falls”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel for 2 nights before driving up to Kingston for our daughter's graduation from Queens University. Arrived in the early evening after driving from Toronto Airport. Check-in efficient, but not overly friendly. Lobby and room nice but "tired". Chair in room had material that was worn and stained. Bed comfortable and bathroom full of nice towels, but overall the room was a bit old and in need of some new decoration. We did not pay the additional $10 for internet, and just "connected" in the lobby to avoid the costs. We also paid the $20 a day self parking fee which seems pretty standard for the area.

The hotel is located about a 15-20 minute walk from the Falls. A pleasant walk, but a steep hill to come back. Would be a bit challenging for older people or those with walking difficulties. The location though of the hotel is very nice if you are looking for a quieter part of Niagara Falls. We paid for the "superior view" and stayed on the 29th floor and had a very good view of the Falls.

Our "package deal" was the Sip and Savour 2-Night Stay Offer, includes hot buffet breakfast for 2 adults daily at Marriott Cafe, 25 CAD meal credit at Milestones Grill and Bar per stay, 2 Casinos and Citywide Attractions Shuttle tickets which was $189.00 per night plus taxes and also additional costs for our daughter to stay in the same room. Although we had to pay additional money for our daughter to stay in the room, she was not included in the package and we had to pay additional money for her to have breakfast. The Milestones Grill was quite nice for dinner, perhaps a bit pricey, so the $25 meal credit was helpful, although it is really only $21 plus tax off the meal. We did not use the Casino or Shuttle tickets. We had breakfast at the buffet in the Milestones Restaurant which was quite nice, although we did have to pay for our daughter's breakfast.

We did go and use the hot tub, but the water was disappointingly cool and the "bubble jets" were not working very well. The pool seemed warm and there was lots of kids and families enjoying playing and swimming.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a high level.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4410, General Manager at Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear youngcjpl.

Thank you for sharing your comments. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed one of the many packages that we offer to guests. We are working to replace the furniture in our guestrooms. I hope that you will stay with us again soon.

Gord Chow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (827)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

We really appreciated that upgrade to a presidential suite. The staff was great all around.

We had a nice view of the falls but the room was a little outdated. A few things were broken: the temperature adjustment box was coming off the wall; burned light bulb in the living room; the shower hand-held part was not working; and we also found two bugs in the bathroom.

Also, I which we had had free internet in the room and cheaper parking (maybe $10 instead of $20 plus tax).

Otherwise a fine hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with terrace access, to get fresh air. Make sure to go to Milestone Grill & Bar...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Josee P,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am very pleased to read that you received exceptional service during your stay. We do have plans to renovate our guestrooms to reflect the look of the lobby and meeting space. I hope that you will consider staying with us again.

UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

The staff was very friendly and attentive. The bi-level room is warm and nicely furnished. There was a whirlpool in the room! We could see both falls through the floor-to-ceiling window. Room service was quick - the food arrived within 15 mins after ordering. There was a variety of selections for room services. It was a pleasure having breakfast at the Milestone restaurant, looking at the fall. The food was delicious but the variety of food is limited.

Dear Roncr7,

Thank you for your wonderful comments. I hope that you will stay with us again soon.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

I admit I'm a motel/hotel person who has never paid big bucks for lodging. I decided to take my mother on a nice vacation and give her what was supposedly luxury. I paid $1000.00 for a five day stay and what I got was less then what I have at this very moment sitting in a Microtel including the beds!! First complaint was room service cleaning techniques. They leave empty bottles, used paper cups, tissues and things like that around since one person once complained that they wanted to keep a cup. You'd think an empty coffee cup with lipstick on it would clearly be garbage but their staff, according to the front desk staff, is told not to throw things like that out. Huh? An empty coffee cup??

I took a room with a falls view for added luxury. I was told I would have a balcony. Oh I got a balcony but a communal one that is covered, and mean covered in these bugs that I think we're termites! Thousands of them!! If you decide to actually go out to the balcony you'd better get that incredibly difficult and heavy sliding door closed quick because you'll be killing them in your room all freakin night.

The restaurant shows no respect for the guests. We waited over an hour for a restaurant that was at less than half capacity due to staff shortages. The staff was so frustrated that they became nasty! Hey, all I wanted to know was how much longer we had to wait to be asked what we'd like to drink while we waited for a table. I guess I didn't call my drink by the proper name
Coming from another country and this irritated the bartender. After an hour and ten minutes of waiting we were seated only to have one meal. Which we simply asked them to omit an ingredient filled with that ingredient! After requesting a re-do of a simple steak salad the waiter offered to replace it with a tossed salad! NO WAY! You bring her the salad ordered! That stopped me from eating my food. We waited so long for a salad my food was cold but I was so annoyed we just finished and left. Over $100 bucks for dinner and they can't even get a salad right. My supper was nothing spectacular for the money. My vegetables were clearly boiled in salt water and served, no other seasoning! They have a Starbucks in the lobby that could supply a decaf coffee because they'd have decaf when the manager ordered it - nice answer. After complaining about everything I got a towel shaped like a swan with a box of truffles on my bed. I can guarantee you they were cheaper then the parking. The view if the horseshoe was nice but the view in general was not spectacular as they indicated; you cannot see the lit up falls well from this location since the American falls are lit. The fireworks are also barely viewable from the location. The view is not worth am additional 32 dollars plus 16% tax per day.

13 years ago I came solo and paid 34 bucks a day for a motel slightly off the strip of touristy stuff - at least I could get coffee and pay a reasonable price for a decent breakfast. I didn't expect to pay 34 bucks obviously but I did expect this experience to surpass that one and it did not. You shouldn't have to beg the front desk to get room service to do their jobs. I understand and they clearly have signage indicating that they'd like to save water and ask that you use towels twice and accept the same bed sheets without changing them daily but for 1000 for less than a week you'd think you'd get understanding not cheap truffles and a front desk that is sorry that you don't agree with their less than luxury ways.....save your money for the expensive but fun attractions. This hotel is nothing special for the money and be careful if you take a balcony - you might bring home more than your dirty clothes!! NEVER AGAIN!!!

• Stayed June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Visitor1117
Hockley, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

The moment I walked through the doors of our 26th floor room, I walked to the window; the view of the falls literally took my breath away!! It was my first glimpse of the mighty Niagara.
That was the best moment of our stay. Second best was having April as our wonderful server in Milestones. What a great asset!

I see other reviewers mention a breakfast buffet and wonder where this occurred. We were told Milestones (the on-site restaurant) did not serve breakfast, so on our first morning, we went to the lobby Starbucks for a bagel, but most of their baked goods had been already sold. I am also reading on these reviews that we could have used the Concierge floor (never mentioned to us). Our subsequent mornings, we went out for breakfast. I was going to suggest this hotel start offering breakfast, but apparently they do. They need to inform guests appropriately.

The elevators - oh my! Two banks are designated for lower floors, and two for the higher floors, yet those two still stop at all the low floors. They are painfully slow and sometimes it took up to 5 minutes wait and then they were frequently too packed to accommodate more people. Let alone service staff with carts. (One staff member sat on a chair outside the elevator, resigned to the fact he was going to be there awhile). At least he was getting paid by the hour!

The shower shudders violently in the wall, waking anyone who might still be sleeping.

Our first day we departed early to explore and returned to our room after 3:30pm to discover our room had not been cleaned. When we informed the front desk, the gentleman said "oh" and he was glad we were okay(?).

Self-park at $20/day in a crowded lot. Really?

Internet was abysmal. We paid the $9.95 daily rate and the signal was "poor" or "fair" at best. My husband had some work to accomplish but was unable to do so from his laptop in the comfort of our room.

The travel desk will only tell you about their tours and try to pressure you into buying one of their packages. Worse than time-share salespeople! Would not answer questions other than what pertained to their own tours.

This hotel seems to be relying on the constant stream of visitors to the falls and the Marriott name for their traffic. I would not stay here again, nor would I recommend it. My first Marriott disappointment.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel!
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank texassgirl
4410, General Manager at Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear texassgirl,

I am very sorry that we did not provide you with a better stay. I am very sorry to hear of your disappointment in our hotel. I hope that you will re-consider and stay with us again so that we may provide you with a better experience.

teesside
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

stayed for three days horseshoe falls view and view of Niagara falls to left full side windows from ceiling to almost floor level wow what a view especially at night when lit up. hotel very well appointed excellent space and access stairway to mezzanine level where restaurant ls situated.first class pool area and hot tub room however spoilt early evening by screeching un accompanied children . starbucks available in lobby and large bar area. outside balcony level to view the falls, however some rooms on the 3rd floor open up to this level . with patio doors not giving good privacy in these rooms. room well appointed with 2 large beds comfortable beds and pillows small bathrooms door restricting access to bath and toilet needs to be shut to gain access . staff extremely helpful and knowledgeable especially the bell boys mind of information to get out and about. a credit to the hotel. overall first class hotel in a quiet location with easy walking distance to attraction areas.classy restaurant in hotel but on the pricey side for me . best free internet and business centre in any hotel I have stayed in free internet in lobby area. good starbucks coffee shop.

Room Tip: upper rooms give excellent view .suggest 8th floor or above with falls view, 811/815 had high beds 2...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear teessidecolonel,

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are so happy to read that you loved your stay with us. I hope to see you again soon.

Redlands, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed here one night in room 821. Initially I wanted to book the other Marriott on Fallsview, but I goofed and booked the Gateway Marriott instead. When we got here the other Marriott directed us to this hotel. Both of us were very upset that we were not going to be in our first choice. But, we hoped that we still would get a falls view room. When I checked in the young lady at the desk, Andrea, smiled when I asked if I could have the best view available and announced that since we were Platinum Elite members with Marriott we were being given a complimentary upgrade to a Junior Suite. And our despair at booking the wrong Marriott turned to absolute joy when we entered the room. It had a panoramic view of all three sets of falls from the living room area. The suite was very nice with a two queen bedroom, Jacuzzi bathtub and shower bathroom, a kitchenette, a dining area and that gorgeous view. We were so mesmerized with the view we almost didn’t want to leave to go to dinner. We first checked out the concierge lounge on the 19th floor which had a nice array of fried shrimps, chunks of blue cheese, crackers and something that looked like a round cake on a stick. There were all kinds of drinks, water, yogurt, juices, milk. And, there was free wifi along with a business center. It was a very cozy room with the same view of the falls that we had from our room. We opted to go down to the dining room for dinner and again had the same view of the falls. We had hamburgers and they were very, very good and cooked to perfection. The personnel in this hotel are very gracious and friendly and are more than happy to grant any request they can. All in all what started out as a disastrous mistake on my part, thanks to Andrea, turned out to be one of the best mistakes I ever made. I would recommend this hotel to anyone with absolutely no reservations whatsoever. And, if you can afford it, go big on the room and high on the floor. Don't let anyone tell you the other Marriott is better than this one because it isn't.

Room Tip: Go high and full view
Dear onlyleigh,

Thank you for your wonderful comments! We are very appreciative of your kind words. I look forward to your next visit with us.