“Great Place to Stay”

Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls
Ranked #10 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My family and I have stayed at the Marriott Gateway for 4 years - we really like it. It is very clean and the staff is very friendly. It is close to alot of restaurants and the casino, you can walk from the hotel. if you go ask for a fallsview room.

1  Thank jacks127
4410, General Manager at Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear jacks127,

Thank you for your continued business and for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor. We are so happy to hear that you have always enjoyed your stays with us. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I am a parent on one of the hockey teams that stayed at the Marriott Gateway this past weekend (March 15 & 16 weekend)....I'm scrolling reading the bad reviews these ridiculous parents have posted.

Let's call a spade a spade...SOME parents on our hockey team were RUDE, THREATENING and mere BULLIES!!! Other parents, such as myself could not say anything in fear that my son would have to pay the price for speaking out against them!

The elevators, were slow. I will admit, but I observed children punching all the buttons and jamming up the systems.

I also witnessed one of the parent's children spitting on another adult and the parents doing nothing about this behaviour!

I witnessed grown size men, bullying the poor female manager who was trying to keep everyone in control so that other guests would not be disturbed.

I witnessed DISGUSTING behaviour by the parents on my team threatening and using profanity to the front desk personnel.

I don't think any of these parents would appreciate anyone conducting themselves in this fashion at their workplace and speaking to them in the fashion that they demonstrated this past weekend.

I am thoroughly disgusted that they can use TRIP ADVISOR as their forum to trash a beautiful hotel, which had staff that did their very best under the stressful circumstances that they had to endure!

I don't blame hotels for enforcing rules, evicting those that do not conduct themselves appropriately. This is not a good example to teach their children. These kids have poor role models.

We all had to sign waivers of conduct and mini sticks had been prohibited, and these parents still felt that their kids had a right to play with them.

I really am embarrassed and felt compelled to rebute these comments that are online here on Trip Advisors in hopes that other people reading them will see that there are TWO SIDES of the situation.

Problems that these parents are complaining about were based on their childish and bullying behaviour!!!

SHAME, SHAME, SHAME ON ALL OF YOU!!!

Disgusted Hockey Mom!

Room Tip: Please be wary when reading the reviews of the hockey people. They caused alot of problems fo rthe h...
7  Thank Isabella1022

Dear Pebbles1633,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor from your recent stay with us. We apologize for the waits incurred due to our elevator system and have had technicians at the hotel to rectify any issues. We hope that you will stay with us again when you are travelling with your family.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed at hotel the last weekend of march break using a deals website. For 129 dollars it included 2 buffet breakfasts, 2 WEGO bus passes, 25 dollars voucher for Milestones and a 25 dollar voucher to the casino.
Room - nice and spacious for 2 adults, 1 child and a small crib for the baby. Closet door would get in the way of the bathroom so you have to keep it closed. Includes a coffee maker and a real hair dryer, not those annoying ones that are stuck to the wall. One downside to the room was there was hair in the tub, on the curtain and the bathroom floor. When I called the front desk someone came up very quickly and recleaned the entire bathroom. That was great customer service.
Parking - It is 20 dollars for self parking and if you come late you end up having to park in a lot across the street which is quite far.
Restaurants - Milestones was great and the buffet breakfast was excellent. I loved the omelet station and there were plenty of different food options to choose from.
Location - Having the bus passes allowed us to get anywhere we wanted to go around Niagara falls with ease, however it is a fair bit of a walk to attractions such as Clifton Hill if you don't have the bus passes, and especially difficult if it is cold or icy outside. The bus passes are 7 dollars for adults and 4 dollars for kids 6 and up for 48 hours. This price could be different in the summer months, I am not sure.
Amenities - We used the pool and hot tub only, which was nice. It was clean and well taken care of.
One major downfall of the hotel is their elevator system. You punch in the floor you want to go to in a keypad on the wall and the screen then tells you what elevator you should take. There were times when we were waiting 15 minutes or more because either it took forever or when the doors of that elevator opened, it was full so you would have to repunch your floor again and wait for the elevator it told you to go in. You can't take any other elevator then the one assigned to you because it won't stop at your floor. A lot of people were getting frustrated about this.
Overall, the Marriott is a great hotel despite the elevator catastrophe and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is not too close to the elevators because it can get loud in the night.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
4410, General Manager at Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear vaughanmom,

Thank you for sharing your comments. We are happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. I do apologize for the waits incurred from our elevators and we are in the process of resolving the issues. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott with my fellow hockey team parents and our children. The hotel was beautiful.The staff was very friendly and patient. However, the elevators were a constant source of trouble. They were very slow and congested. Not at all designed for a hotel. I was told it was a new system. Whoever wanted that system clearly isn't very wise.The waits were long. Many of us walked the stairs. Many of us worried about being late for our games.
I have to admit, although I was with the hockey team, I am utterly embarrassed to have been associated with my fellow team parents and the way they behaved. I read the review on here by the parent whose trip was affected by the hockey teams. I am not one to allow my children to run wild or to allow the hotel to be a babysitter while I sit and socialize in another room. Although I said nothing for fear of my son paying the price for my disgust with the teams behaviour, I overheard the nasty comments one of our fathers said to the female manager. She was right to stop the children from running the halls and banging on doors. I heard her explain several times that other guests were being disturbed. I heard her explain that ministicks were banned. I heard her ask him to abide by the form signed and to keep the children out of the halls. I heard her apologizing and I heard him swearing at her. I know everyone on our team was frustrated with the elevators. I later had the opportunity to speak to a guest on that floor, one who had been upset with the children playing hockey outside their doors. They too were horrified with the way the manager was treated when all she was doing was trying to make everyone's stay more pleasant.They said they heard her being swore at by some man from inside their room. I apologized to this guest on behalf of our team. I did read the form given to me upon checkin that stated that no hockey sticks of any kind were allowed in the hotel. I knew the rules. My child abided by them. My son was not happy to not be able to have the stick but we explained it we had to follow the rules.
Not all hockey parents are as rude as the ones the poor staff had to put up with. it bothers me to think that they think I am as bad as the rest. I have read the comments on here and I heard the things said that night by my fellow team members. I admit. i said nothing in anyone's defense.
The hotel is beautiful.The staff is wonderful. They put up with more than they should have had on that weekend. They need to fix the elevators for sure. I think future guests will be very unhappy with the elevator system. I will return to this hotel with my family.

We are really not all that rude. But, you really need to fix the elevators.

Room Tip: Stay on a lower floor so you don't have to walk the stairs
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Hockey M
4410, General Manager at Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear Hockey M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your comments regarding the events that occurred during your stay and apologize for the waits incurred with the elevators. We have had technicians in to rectify any issues with our elevators and are looking at ways to make them more efficient for future guests.

We hope that you will stay with us again soon!

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We booked a Junior Presidential Suite and it was amazing! Fantastic view of both the Falls, and the room itself was full of little touches that were "Wow factors"... Fireplace, chandalier over the dining table, window from bedroom that overlooked the falls, massive bathroom, full kitchen, just wow!

We loved every minute of our stay, our only regret was only booking one night!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear 5tumpy,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience! We are so happy to read that you had a wonderful time. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Upon checking in with my husband for a relaxing "staycation" for the weekend we did notice the Marriott was extrememly busy. We promptly got checked into our room by the very polite front desk staff, after a little rest we headed out to check out the near by sights. After a nice dinner down the road we headed back to the motel for the night. There were mobs of hockey children playing hockey in the halls, not a grown up in sight, as we weaved our way through the kids i hear "thanks for wrecking our game" I turned to look and just kept going. How rude !
I did go down to the front desk to complain about the unsupervised children in the halls, and to my disbelief the desk person was being yelled at and called names. I am a visitor to this city and was shocked how ignorant people can be.
When we checked in earlier in the day there was no problem with the elevator, but in the evening hours it did become an issue. I guess thats what happens when you have too many unsupervised children pushing the buttons, they become backlogged.
Does this marriott not have security when there are young hockey players and families scheduled to arrive? From the way I saw the staff being treated by several people over the weekend I would have called the police to regain order.
While waiting in the lobby I even witnessed a lady who had been spat upon !!! how gross !! This lady mentioned someone actually crapped in the stairwell !!!
I have traveled with my children for hockey and gymnastics and ball hockey tournaments and if anyone in our group had acted like that we would have been banned from competing.
Why would a 5 star property allow such behaviour, or bookings?
If I knew the hockey club these families were with I would forward a compaint with their centre, league.I do hope the Marriott management does follow through on that.

Even with all the ignorant fellow travelers we did enjoy our stay for the most part. It is what you make of it. Our room was clean, and when there was no turmoil in the lobby, all the staff we encountered were very polite and well educated about the area.

We would return...but i would do my homework and make sure there are no childrens sports teams checking in the same weekend.
Way to keep your cool Marriott employees :)

W.C. Foster
I was embarased for the employees, and

Room Tip: request a "falls view" room when reserving if possible.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank W F

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you very much for your sharing your recent experience at the Marriott Gateway on the Falls hotel. We appreciate your comments regarding the events that took place during your stay. I am very sorry that you were inconvenienced during your stay and hope that you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This was the first time that our family had every visited Marriott Gateway on the Falls. Unfortunately, this Marriott hotel has some serious issues to address.

Upon our arrival, a young gentleman attended our family. Right next to him was the manager listening to every word. She never smiled and was not friendly. We travel extensively to many hotels on business, and pleasure. I have never, ever been treated so rudely. Once we were checked in, we waited bythe elevators, for more than 25 minutes. Finally, we gave up waiting and walked up 12 flights of stairs, with our coolers, luggage, and hockey equipment. My poor son had to stop and rest on the third floor and finally we made it. This property decided to implement a "new" type of elevator system. You have to punch in your floor number and the screen will promptly tell you which elevator to use. Either "A" "B" "C" or "D". Well, it so happens that our elevator "C" was not working. Later on that evening, we got stuck in one of the elevators coming down for 20 minutes. That was very scary. Yes, it was a very busy time and the hotel was completely booked. The property was very nice and the location and view was amazing. Unfortunately, they lack in their customer care and service. I did call several times to speak with the manager and I was hung up on. I called back and they told me very rudely that the manager was busy and call me back. She never did. My husband even went down to the lobby that evening, via the stairs, and the manager would not even come out of her office to speak with him.

The next morning when my son pulled out a white towel, there were black spots all over them. It was disgusting, and I told him not to touch them or use them. I was told that this happens when wet towels are folded and put away. Wow!!

As the morning progressed this loud banging noice started rattle all the glasses in the bar area and it sounded like someone was banging a hammer on the walls. The service gentleman stated that there was nothing he could do. It was a water pressure issue.

I am amaze that this property is categorized as a level 6!!! The property is nice, but the service is below standard.

Upon check out we were told that we would "not" be compensated and that all they could do was give us a credit towards our "Parking" for all the inconvieniences.

I will never recommend nor return to this property. I am even thinking of never returning to another Marriott property again!!

Julia
Whitby, Ontario

Room Tip: Use a lower level to avoid elevator issues, but then you wont get a good view of the falls. Depends...
4  Thank Miss-Manager
4410, General Manager at Niagara Falls Marriott on the Falls, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Miss-Manager,

We apologize for your less than perfect stay with us this past weekend. I understand your frustration regarding our elevator system and we have had technicians here to rectify any issues. I am sorry to hear of the lack of cleanliness in your guestroom and that you felt our service was not up to standard. We appreciate all of your comments so that we can strive for excellence.