“A Wonderful Getaway!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“A Wonderful Getaway!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

My husband and I have been to Niagara Falls with our children over a dozen times and stayed in many different nice hotels. Our preference had been Embassy Suites, but this has now changed!
As a little getaway for my husband and I, we chose the Sheraton (which from the time of my reservation to my confirmation changed to Niagara Falls Marriott Gateway on the Falls), as it had a good deal. For $159, fallsview room, included 2 Skywheel passes, $25 dinner voucher, shuttle and free buffet breakfast for two. It was the first time in 14 years we had been away from our children so this was a BIG deal!
I was impressed from the moment we arrived. We require a handicap space and found one consistently right at the front. The lobby is clean, the grand sweeping staircase is very inviting. When I checked in, the clerk was very pleasant, welcomed me to the hotel and thanked me for choosing Marriott. I would like to add that this was a busy day (Saturday March 25) and there were many people checking in (a few bridal parties too). One of the clerks was new and still in training. A staff member that came to assist her was very polite and helped her without embarrassing her in front of her guests. She was able to handle the task at hand without getting flustered. That says a lot.
We were in room 1905. Gorgeous view of the falls, newer furnishings, curtains that blocked out the morning light should you choose. Television was very new, crisp, clear picture. Our room had two double beds with lovely big pillows, white cozy comforters and clean crisp sheets. The mattresses had to be quite new, they were extremely comfortable.
The bathroom was very clean and completely stocked with Bath and Body Works orange and ginger shampoo, conditioner and lotion which smelled lovely. Compared to the usual hotel offerings for hygiene products, these were a real treat. Thick, white towels and facecloths, very good quality. Unlike I have seen in a hotel before.
Refrigerator worked great. Coffee bar was stocked, neat and clean, two choices for coffee and tea.
After getting settled, we had a few questions, which were answered with a smile and helpful answers. We didn't use our voucher for Milestones for dinner as we had other plans, but we looked forward to breakfast.
We only heard one door closing in our time in the room. It was very quiet and peaceful. Unlike our other stays at other Falls hotels with party-goers at all hours of the night. Because it is kind of at the end of the road and not right next to the casino, this does seem to make it a little quieter. It is a five-seven minute walk to the Casino.
The next morning, I used the business centre to catch up on a deadline with the assistance of the same clerk who had checked us in the day before. I was never made to feel like an inconvenience or an interruption of his time. This is very important to me. My husband wasn't able to come down for breakfast, so I inquired if it were possible to take something back to my room. The staff at Milestones couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. The server I spoke with didn't hesitate when I asked, she came back with three take out containers, a bag and cutlery so that I could choose from the buffet. And what a buffet! Fresh cut fruit, homefries, good cuts of bacon, sausages, french toast, scrambled eggs, assorted pastries, yogurt, cereals, bagels, toast and an incredible omlette/egg bar with at least 10 different options. And of course, milk, coffee, juice, etc. Having been to many buffets in Niagara, I can easily tell you this is one of the very best. When a tray was even half empty, it was quickly replaced. Nothing was cold that shouldn't have been, and our hot dishes were still very hot when I returned to the room.
We didn't access the swimming pool, but I did see many families on their way in and out. You couldn't smell the chlorine either, which is unusual in a hotel.
Express check out was ready and slipped under the door before 9am and it was accurate.
I can easily say this was one of our most relaxing and enjoyable hotel stays in Niagara Falls and we will definitely be returning and recommending Marriott Gateway to our family and friends. We work hard for our money and we expect to be treated like guests when we stay at a hotel. The staff met and exceeded all of our expectations. Management at this hotel should commend their employees for being a great representation of their company.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (835)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2011

We stayed at the Sheraton Fallsview for 2nights. Our room had an awesome falls view. The hotel is only walking distance from all the restaurants and the fall. We tried the hotel restaurant for dinner one night and the food was delicious!!!Service wasn't up to par with other Sheratons but highly recommend this hotel for it's location!!

• Stayed September 2010
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2011

We stayed at the Sheraton Fallsview Hotel and Conference Center for one night on our honeymoon because I insisted on a room with a view of the falls - that is all we got. The staff was friendly but the service was not great. There was construction going on which we were unaware of until we checked in. The drilling sound was bearable but very distracting and wouldn't allow for a nap. We booked on a package deal with breakfast and a casino shuttle ride but paid for it in parking and a movie charge. The view was cool for one night but I wouldn't stay there again. If you do stay there, be sure to pull the shades before falling asleep because the sun is very bright rising over the falls in the morning. Also, if you eat at Milestones, bring your sunglasses - great view but very bright.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2011

I really like this hotel. The view of the Falls from my fallsview room on the 18th floor was breathtaking - something that I never tire of and I travel to this area often. The service is excellent too....all of the hotel employees that I came in contact with were pleasant, helpful and competent. The food at Milestones was very good, as well.

It is time, however, to update some of the furntiture in my opinion - specifically the blue chair/couch combo and bathtub/shower. Both were a disappointment. The blue upholstery was quite disgusting and dirty looking although I am sure that the staff have done their best. The shower/tub needs to be recaulked and the tiles are fading....small things, but they really matter. I will end on a positive and mention that the beds and duvets are one of the most comfortable that I have experienced in my business travels!! So, for the most part, very well done - but get rid of the ugly/gross furniture and clean up the tub/shower please!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2011

we were there for a weekend conference, we had fallsview rooms that adjoined, it was great for the four adults.

service at checkin was FANTASTIC ! I know that brand loyalty is important to starwood properties and if you could promise me that check in every time, i would never stay anywhere else. the agent took time to talk to us and give us hints about the local area. he already knew about the conference times, not just the location to point us in the right direction but he knew the times, the activities and was able to suggest an evening activity outside of the conference that wouldn't interfere.

he took the time to speak to us a few hours later in the elevator to ask us if everything was okay in our room. he didn't just ask about our room because we were in the elevator, he called us by name, and introduced himself to our one group member who wasn't standing there at checkin.

we didn't get a chance to use the pool but we did see the area and it was quite clean.

the conference rooms were well appointed and easy to find.

our group had a chance to participate in an activity in the hotel kitchen, we found the space clean and well organized,

ALL Hotel staff were helpful and courteous, they all took the time to speak to us and seemed as through they truly cared about our stay.

GREAT place to stay, we will return !

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2011

Well we were suprised with a complimentary upgrade to a penthouse suite after we had to wait for 5-10 minutes at the front desk prior to check in as the front desk agent was on the phone and helping other guests. This was no problem what so ever!! If only more hotels were as great as this one!

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2011

Have you ever gone into a room and not been able to put your finger on the issue until the morning? After a sleepless night of coughing, I figured the issue. The 7th floor is under renovation, the ceiling in the entrance hall in the room was unfinished. Drywall dust in the air! Masking tape on unfinished ceiling and clumps of plaster on the carpet. Room doors in the common hallway have drywall compound on them and plastic sticking out the door of some other rooms. At least, the bill was discounted by 50% after indicating the issue-smart move by front desk!; but no hotel should ever rent a room a guest without inspecting that construction was complete. Where was the property manager and supervisory staff! Where was Sharon the housekeeper who left an envelope for a tip! Can you imagine tipping for not doing her job! Clearly, she and others do not take their responsibilites for being guest-focused serious! By the way, the hotel was empty and there was no need to using rooms that were not up to snuff! Most decent properties would upgrade frequent guest members. Thank goodenss they are leaving the Starwood's Family of Hotels in March and heading to another brand!

Front lobby spartan a(smell the clhorine from facilities on main floor and void of activity except a Starbucks! Milestones on second level nice decor. Too bad for the noisy dishwasher at bar, the ladder in the corner, cleaning supplies in clear view and general disarray of glassed-in kitchen and bar area. Elevator information screen with a reboot message on it! Elevators freezing cold. And Best yet, allowing smokers in the covered garage-not congruent with Smoking ByLaws! This is not what one would expect a Sheraton or Starwoods Property!

To quote Maxwell Smart. Missed it by that much on all accounts! Oh yes, last call at 10PM and no mini-bar in the room!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business