“Make sure you are charged the right price”
Review of Surfside Inn

Surfside Inn
Ranked #94 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Toronto
“Make sure you are charged the right price”
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We found this hotel's website and seemed to be a nice hotel. I looked for the availability and the rates for the night I was planning to stay, and although you can do a reservation online, I noticed it was not a secure website, therefore I just called the hotel directly, told them what I found and they confirmed all the information as correct (availability on that date, type of room, total price).

So, when I got there, the guy at the reception gave me a registration form that had my name, payment info and a total that did not match the one I was told... obvioulsy higher! I explained that to him and even showed him a print out of the information that I did my self of what I was supposed to be charged based on the information I was confirmed when I called to reserve(including exact pst, gst and city taxes - which by the way, this last one I was not aware of, but any way...) and he said that that amount was wrong and that applied only for weekdays (I stayed there in a weekend), and also said that he charged the same amount to the rest of the people. We went on and on in the same discussion and something that did not make sense to me at all, was that he said that the person who took my reservation probably did not know this was a weekend! That drove me nuts because that's her job - to see the calendar, verify the date and provide details based on that. Anyway, after 3 or 4 minutes discussing he suddenly just decided to charge the correct amount but the most surprinsingly thing is that just before my eyes, he just grabbed another form from the drawer with my exact same information but with the proper charge. I was so mad at that point that I just took it and accept it, but after thinking and thinking of that behaviour, I can't find a reason to justify that action. The guy was obvioulsy trying to get more money from me of what I was supposed to pay.

All I can say, is that even that the hotel - yes, was a very simple, small, old fashioned, you could probably still have a good time in Niagara in case you are short on budget, but with an attitud like that, then I just think that I'd rather to pay more money to ensure that my reservation is honoured. Sometimes the service can really make the difference when the facilities are not the best. Obviously this was not the case.

Good luck when you look for a cheap hotel :)

PS. By the way... When I checked out, I was still charged one dollar above the proper amount, but one dollar difference will not disturbe my inner peace (after all what I had to deal with the day before), so I just decided not to argue about that.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank Pooony

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Ontario
Reviewed September 1, 2007

It's like a blast from the past! This charmingly retro little one story place is just a few minutes west of the crazy activity of the falls in the quiet neighbourhood of Chippewa. (The motel is across the street from a beautiful park right on the river. ) It's not fancy, but great value for your dollar. We booked the cheapest room at $69 (with Queen sized bed) on the Friday night of the labour day weekend (unheard of bargain in Niagara Falls!).

I read about this place in the CAA/AAA tour guide, and also I went on the Surfside's own website for more information and photos. The proprietors were so nice and friendly and our room was exactly what we expected.

The room had an airconditioner, (and a small screened window).The door was a glass patio type door, letting in lots of natural light -- beware that it automatically locks behind you, so keep you key on you when you step out!
The room was uncommonly large and very clean and Non Smoking (There may be smoking rooms, but if not, there are patio tables and chairs just outside each room with an ashtray provided.) Our room even had a small fridge and an extra sink, counter and mirror outside the bathroom! There are plenty of dressers, a wardrobe, a TV, of course, 2 end tables as wells as a separate little table with two comfy chairs. The linens weren't great, but they were clean -- bring beach towels with you for the pool.

It boasts an outdoor pool -- understand this --the pool is very, VERY small, but after riding bikes on a hot afternoon, it sure was refreshing! The "sundeck" is just the cement around the pool, but there are comfortable chaise lounges there. I think there is a small gas BBQ for guests to use near the pool.

Right across the road from the hotel is a huge, beautiful park right on the river with playground equipment, a sprinkler thingy for kids to cool off, picnic tables and even some picnic shelters! There were also washrooms and vending machines.
BEST OF ALL, is The Niagara Recreation Trail access from the park -- it's an amazing paved trail for bicycling and walking. It goes East from the hotel as far as Niagara-on-the-lake, and West as far as Fort Erie!

We had a lovely dinner in Chippewa, at "Betty's" (a 5 minute drive from the hotel). It's a casual family-style restaurant with very reasonable prices. They specialize in fish, (famous for their fish & chips and do poached and grilled fish as well), but there were also other menu items. Their homemade pies are yummy! they closed at 8:30 pm on Friday, so go early!

There is no food service at the hotel, but there are some local bars and restaurants just around the corner, and yes, a Tim Horton's if you're addicted to coffee & donuts as well. You could get groceries in Chippewa without having to go through the crowds in Niagara.

I would recommend this property if you want a safe, clean place to sleep in a pretty and quiet neighbourhood instead of on noisy, tacky "hotel row" on Lundy's Lane. We would say that probably nothing much has changed at the Surfside Inn since it was opened (it looks like it must have been in the '50's), and that's one of the things that makes it so charming and unique!

• Liked — Quiet, scenic location great value for the dollar.
  • Disliked — Bed too small and linens could be better quality.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank FenderandGibson
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 9, 2005

very clean, good price friendly staff

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member