“Great location, average hotel”

Old Stone Inn Boutique Hotel
Ranked #32 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Hamilton, Canada
“Great location, average hotel”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My huband and I stayed here on a Sunday night in April for our anniversary. We were looking forward to our stay since this is our first time away from our kids in a long time and were in need of some good R&R. When we arrived we were able to get early check-in. The front desk clerk was very nice. Our room on the top (3rd) floor was very spacious and nicely updated. The bed was really comfortable and I was pleased with the amount of pillows on the bed so we both found one we liked. The tub/shower had very good water pressure and temperature. I had asked upon check-in about the pool hours and the front desk clerk told me it was from 10am-10pm. Since we figured we wouldn't have much time the next morning we tried to visit the pool that evening. That is when things took a downturn for us. We were very disappointed when got down there. The water level in the indoor pool was way below what it should be and there was debris in the bottom of the pool which may have included some sort of large dead insect and drywall that had peeled off the ceiling from around the skylight (see pictures). There were also no towels available and the hamper of wet towels still remained there the next day. The tile deck around the pool did not look clean. The whole room looked like it was lacking maintenance and it was strangely open to a main hallway with no door which I had never seen in a hotel before. My concern is that could pose a safety issue with children, speaking as a mother of youngsters. We also noticed that where there had previously been an outdoor pool was now filled in with gravel, and where there had been a hot tub was now tiled over in different tiling. We never went to the restaurant at the hotel so I cannot comment on their food and service. Other things we encountered were the ice AND Coke machine on our floor were both out of order and the signs on each of them referred you to use the ones on the 1st floor. We were told to use stairs on check-in (although we found out later there was an elevator on the other side of the building) so this was not convenient. Also the carpeting was dingy, the hallways and main entrance were dark and dim in our coming and going (aren't entrances supposed to be bright and inviting?) The peeling ceiling in the pool area was disconcerting. We could clearly see the drywall hanging and peeling from a few places in the pool atrium from our room window. on checkout I mentioned our disappointment with the pool and the front desk clerk said it had been an error by their caretaker who accidentally hit the lever to drain the pool when he was adjusting the chemicals. I wasn't sure about her story since the water level was the same the whole time we were there and didn't see any action taken at the pool and we had a first hand view. She offered no incentive.
We were happy with the proximity for walking everywhere we wanted to go. We visit the Falls quite often. We were very close for walking to Skylon tower (we take advantage of the early dinner special there and we love it!), Fallsview casino resort and Clifton Hill and the falls. This is the main reason we decided to stay here for a great jumping off point. I don't think I would stay here again unless they improved their maintenance and amenities of the hotel. If you are just looking for a great, clean comfortable room in a good location then you could consider staying here.

Room Tip: Rooms are updated, spacious and comfy. Pool area and rest of hotel are not updated.
2 Thank ljcrazy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed April 16, 2013

When I've seen the pictures I've figured something original. I wasn't. The room was ok and clean but old, the TV reception was really bad.
During our stay we've had noisy neighbours. The soundproofing isn't really good.
Except that it was ok for the price, wifi and parking were complimentary.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank debz84
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I booked this hotel one month ago by internet. A couple days after I booked the hotel I called them to confirm the booking. At first they could not find the booking so we spent about ten minutes trying to find it. While I was on the phone I decided to confirm the total payment due for the cost of two nights. Everything seemed good so I gave the person I talked to on the phone my credit card number to prepay for the room.
Just a couple days prior to leaving for the trip I noticed that the payment for the room had not been taken off the credit card. So I called the hotel to confirm my reservation one more time. Once again the person I spoke with on the phone could not confirm the reservation so I had to once again go through a ten minute process to find it. I then requested that they take the payment in advance, however I was told by the lady on the phone that I would have to fax a number of documents in order to process the credit card. So I decided to opt to pay for the room in once my girlfriend and I arrived.
However I get a e-mail notification about one hour after the conversation with Old Mill Inn that they had attempted to take nearly double the amount of money for the room off my credit card.
I immediately called to find out what was going on and why they were trying to take so much out even after they told me the couldn't withdraw any money from my card without these documents being faxed back and forth. They replied that it was an error and apologized.
So on the day that myself and my girlfriend arrivied and started the check in process we were informed that we had to put either a cash deposit or a credit card deposit of $200.00 dollars on top of our room fee if we wanted to stay.
I have stayed at several hotels in my life and have never had to give any upfront money on a room only a copy of a credit card in case the hotel discovered any additional expenses or damage to a room after I left. We were told by the man behind the counter that this is common practice at all hotels. I know for a fact it isn't.
I have been looking forward to this trip for sometime and wasn't about to let this deposit ruin it so we gave them the money and proceeded to our room.
Part of our request was to have a room that overlooked the atrium swimming pool area. When I looked out the window we had a view of a white wall and the corner of the swimming pool. We also had an amazing view of every staircase and hall directly across from us and anybody on the other side had a great view of us. So no privacy unless we had the blinds closed. This wouldn't have bothered me so much if every single room in this hotel had guests in all the other rooms facing the atrium. However every room was empty.
The one thing that has really prompted me to write such a bad review is the fact that when myself and my girlfriend decided to retire for the night as we pulled back the blankets we discovered hairs on our bed. We know that these hairs did not belong to us as I have no hair and my girlfriends is red. To add even more to the story we discover a rather large stain on the duvet cover and asked for a new one. We later discovered that the cover was just put back on the bed.
I have many more complaints about the service of this hotel including a additional charge at check out but would make this review way to long.
I think this hotel has some great potential as it is elegant and has some real charm. However I feel that the experience that myself and my girlfriend had is not worth it. I want my money back!

2 Thank Jeff N
Akron,Ohio
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This hotel has very nice rooms and the location is excellent.I took my wife there for two nights April 3-4 2013,and we really enjoyed our stay.We had a delicious dinner in the hotel restaurant and the Fallsview casino is only one block away.The Falls are about 10 minutes walk away and there are alot of shops just a short walk away.Their indoor pool looked nice, but we did not get a chance use it.The staff were extremely friendly and helpful.I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 310 and it was very clean and had newer carpet.
1 Thank keith12552
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 1, 2013

rustic elegance and shabby chic completes a comfy stay. We were give adjacent rooms and it senior friendly considering all the suites are in 1 floor. it invokes a unique character in the middle of the hustle and bustle of a busy touristy area. stands out amongst from the usual big hotel chains that surrounds it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mirrenzie
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed two nights over new years eve, the location was excellent. We could walk to the Fallsview casino, Clifton hill and the concert in the park was so close. We got a good deal on Expedia. The staff were friendly and the hotel was beautiful. The rooms were a good size, very clean and comfortable, our room overlooked the pool, so it was very quiet, there's a nightclub across the street so I was first concerned about noise, but it was fine. The pool area was ok, the water was warm. We didn't eat there, I had a drink in the lounge, it was great, but closed at 10pm even on new years eve, it was warm and cozy with a small fireplace, lots of charm. I would definatly return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gumbygal
Regina, Canada
Reviewed January 10, 2013

If you are looking for something different but yet elegant try this hotel - you won't be disappointed. Very gracious and helpful staff, great room and superb food in a rustic but yet classy hotel. Location, location - close to all the sites and sounds of Niagara without paying the big bucks for other big name hotels. This is well worth the stop and stay!

Room Tip: it's a maze in the hotel with add-on's but all rooms are excellent!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple