“Avoid the Spa At All Costs”

Niagara Falls Marriott Fallsview Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 10, 2007

I booked a 1 hr massage and a pedicure. The new pedicure chairs are so uncomfortable that I had cramps in my calves. I asked for the massge to be stopped after 30 minutes because it was pathetic. I seriously challenged the manager as to how long this person has been giving messages. She didn't ask about my neck injury which I noted on my check in sheet then she proceed to make it worse instead of relieve the pain/tension. The end result was a pedicure that didn't inlcude polish because they wanted me to wait around for an hour to get the polish because I ended my message early and a message that was a combination of ineptness and pain.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank MehimandkidsOntario

Reviewed July 8, 2007

The hotel was very nice, clean and the staff was friendly. Our room was a two story suite that had a great view of the falls. The hotel had a pool, 2 hot tubs and a steam room. Our family enjoyed our stay at the hotel.
Dislikes were the cost of items at the hotel ($3.00 for a bottled water). The Keg resturant had great views but the food was average.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank cjb213
Reviewed July 7, 2007

My husband & I decided to elope to Niagara Falls in July of 2005 and this is the hotel that we chose. We opted for a Fallsview Whirlpool room, which we booked through the hotel directly as part of a package deal. We stayed for 4 nights, so we actually booked 2 'spa' packages of 2 nights each. Included in our price, in addition to our room, were the hot/cold breakfast buffets for each of the mornings we were there, 2 spa treatments, $150 credit towards the Terrapin Grille, their in-house restaurant, and complimentary shuttle passes.
Upon arrival, we were greeted by warm, friendly & efficient staff. The view from our room was amazing, and you could even crack the window a bit and hear the rush of the Falls. The room was spotless, with a fridge, a safe, a hairdryer & an iron/board. The bed was extremely comfortable & the whirlpool was a treat. We really felt as though we could relax in this room-you need it because in Niagara you can easily be out all day, going from one activity to another.
The location of the hotel is ideal, and if you don't want to climb any hills, you can use the Falls Incline Railway, which is at the hotel's doorstep. It's fun & easy on tired tourist feet.
The day of our wedding, I headed to the hotel spa for a half day of treatments. The staff there too were warm & friendly. They even surprised me with a delicious fruit & yoghurt parfait during my pedicure to congratulate me on my upcoming nuptials. Also, they were able to book a hairstylist for me that met me in the spa and came up to my room to get me coiffed for the ceremony.
We were so glad that we chose this hotel; as soon as we left, we started talking about when we would go back!
Just a note about the area in general. There are plenty of activities for adults & children alike, and you will have a wonderful vacation, but everything is very expensive. On our last night there we went to TGIFriday's for dinner...for 1 mixed drink, 2 beers, 1 appetizer & 2 sandwich entrees the bill was $100 CAD. I have been there twice and both on both occasions had a fantastic time. It is very much worthwhile place to see, but be prepared to spend a lot of money.

Stayed: July 2005
1  Thank MrsOdie
Reviewed July 5, 2007

We checked in at 5:30 pm and our room was not ready. We had to wait until 6:30pm. Check in is at 3:00 pm and to make us wait let in the lobby for one hour is awful! Especially when you are on vacation and with a 2 year old. The view was nice but I had paid for a fallsview. The person behind the counter told us that we could pay $60.00 more to get a room higher up right away and not have to wait. They should have just put us there as it was there fault that the room was not ready not ours. Unreal! Poor customer service. They also had bugs in the rooms and only 2 pillows on each bed. They had large pillows for decoration but you could not sleep with them. I won't recommend this hotel as I will not go back there or to any other Marriotts in the future. Sheraton hotels are much better.

• Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank Love2Travel100
Reviewed July 3, 2007

We stayed for a couple of nights from 31 May 2007. We got a good deal through Opodo

Our room was a standard room on the twelfth floor. It was a good room with a drop dead gorgeous view of the Horseshoe Falls and rapids and a good view of the American Falls a little down river. We were right by the lift and noise from the corridor wasn't a problem. We also heard the distant roar of the falls through a vent in the window - fantastic!

The room was large and bright with a huge window overlooking the falls. There was a nice big bathroom including a shower over the bath. The room was clean and well maintained and the bed was very comfy. My only complaint is about all the junk that many hotels insist on peppering on every flat surface; wee leaflets, cards, notices, forms, brochures, and directories etc about this, that and the other. Anyway, they all ended up on top of the telly so we could lay our own junk out!

The room had a coffee maker, mini-bar, a safe and , bizarrely, a shoe polisher! Everything was in good repair. The ice machine on our floor was out of order but there was another one downstairs .

Staff were friendly and efficient. They did try to get us to upgrade our room but didn't press it. Valet parking was quick. There were public several car parks not too far away if required. These were pretty quiet in May.

In the main lobby there is a Starbucks (with very, very nice staff), a gift shop and a tour desk. There was also a gym and pool downstairs but I didn't explore these.

We ate in the hotel restaurant one night. It was very good indeed, but, like most other things in the hotel, it wasn't cheap. However, can you expect anything else in a hotel overlooking one of the wonders of the natural world?

There are dozens of places to eat from $ to $$$$$ within a short stroll of the hotel.

We had dinner next door at the Keg Steakhouse, up on the 9th floor of the hotel next door. As a first time visitor to Canada, I didn't realise that the Keg was a franchise chain. Despite this, it was very good, the staff were very friendly, I thought it was good value and the views were stunning. When we arrived at the restaurant, there were no tables available at the window, (they don't take window seat bookings) so our table was up a few steps at the front of the first tier. This turned out to be a lucky break. Not only were we away from the traffic at the door and the front, we had a terrific view of the falls and great entertainment as bumptious customers wandered in demanding window tables (which were all full) ... Great fun.

Also great fun was a trip on the Maid of the Mist. We crossed the bridge at Niagara Falls to have a wander on the USA side, explore the islands and see the falls from there. It took about 40 minutes to get through immigration and the interview with an unusually cheery immigration officer. It also cost USD12 for the two of us, so it wasn't just the hotel who were profiteering! Getting back into to Canada was quick, painless and free of charge

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bonus
Reviewed July 3, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott Fallsview July 1&2 and booked the Jr Presidential Suite as a special splurge for our 30th anniversary. We've never been to Canada or to Niagara Falls and hadn't dealt with exchange rates on a vacation before this. In my naivete, I assumed that the approximate rates in US dollars quoted on the website were close to what we would pay. (We booked the room on the hotel website only 4 days prior to our arrival.)
Imagine our surprise when we discovered that the Marriott was using a 1:1 exchange rate for US:CDN dollars! Our two night stay was $150 more than we'd expected! I checked online and their website still shows this approximate US price.
The hotel was nice, the room and view were beautiful, and the Falls were magnificent. Just be sure not to believe what they say the charge will be in US$.

• Stayed: July 2007
4  Thank jvbeachlover
Reviewed July 1, 2007

We had a fallsview room on the 10th floor and very much enjoyed our stay. The view was fabulous and the room was decent. The bed is very comfortable and the jacuzzi tub was nice and roomy. You are really paying for the view of the falls and not so much the amenities of the room.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple