“View beautiful - prices outrageous”

Niagara Falls Marriott Fallsview Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago
“View beautiful - prices outrageous”
Reviewed March 5, 2007

I live in Chicago and I am used to nice hotels and nice restaurants. I have also traveled for business and pleasure and I like "high end". We had a beautiful view and the room was fine - not great but certainly OK. It had a big jacuzzi tub and large king size bed that was comfy. I am used to valet parking here in Chicago but in this little town paying $20 per day seemed ridiculous and greedy of the hotel. Also - the voucher for dinner is a huge joke!!!! The prices are so high on the menu that the vouchers are useless. Give me a break - $64 for sea bass and $54 for veal parmesan!!!! The bill for 2 of us was $183 with 2 dinners, 2 salads, 1 beer, 1 martini and 1 glass of wine. AS I said - I live in Chicago - this was in NO way a $200 dinner!!!!! RIP OFF!!!!!
The breakfast was good - I don't think it was worth the price on the voucer - I have had much, much better brunches for less money.
My advice - get a nice room and view - skip the packages!
We ate at the Keg next door - great food - higher prices but not outrageous and very cozy environment.
The items in the room also had outrageous prices attached - $3 for a gingerale!! Bring ur own wine, soft drinks etc!!!!
The staff was not very outgoing or helpful. They acted like they were doing me a favor when I asked a few questions and they answered!!

• Liked — beautfiul view out the window of the falls
  • Disliked — restaurant price gouging and very mediocre hotel service and assistance
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Razldazlrr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,421)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Braunschweig, Germany
Reviewed February 28, 2007

It's wintertime at Niagara, so prices are down, but the the falls are spectacular. With temperatures in the mid teens and rooms being affordable, we went for a "Full Fallsview" room at the Marriott for USD130+Tax.

When checking in, I was told that our room would be on floors 3 to 7 and I was offered an upgrade to the top floor (23) with a gas fireplace for $40. I bit the bullet and did not regret it - the view is indeed amazing. Tried to avoid Valet Parking ($20) but could not find anything in the vicinity, so had to bite another bullet.

The weather was great, and we spent the whole evening looking from above, enjoyed a bottle of wine, while down there people got out of their cars, took a few pictures and rushed back to the vehicles since it was so cold.

The only issue we had except for the cost was that the hotel pool had an extreme amount of chloride, so the kids had skin irritations and did not feel well for a short moment.

Overall, we could have easliy saved more than USD 100 on our hotel stay, but we felt like kings for a day and truly enjoyed our stay at the Marriott.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Additional cost
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank dl2hbx
London, Ontario
Reviewed February 28, 2007

My wife and I go away for weekends quite often, and typically stay at Marriott or Hilton properties when available. We went to this property with another couple on a package deal offered through Travelzoo. I am sure many have seen the deal, fallsview room, breakfast and the voucher for dinner ($75 CDN) The hotel itself is typical Marriott, clean well equiped rooms. The Fallsview was nice, even from a lower floor. The parking as mentioned is priced like a big city, which of course Niagara Falls is not, however it was bitterly cold so we took advantage of the valet (and the car was retrieved quickly when needed) Really the only negative thing about the property was the price gouging. Now I don't mind paying for a great meal, and I realize hotel restaurants/room service have a premium on them but this was the most absurd pricing I have ever seen. The four of us decided to get a late lunch with our $150 in vouchers we figured that would be enough. Well my wife had nachos (not great, but priced @$22), I had a less than faboulous steak, which only came with choice of potatoe or salad (priced @$56) my friend had the same, and his wife a chicken sandwhich ($19) The girls drank water, we had a beer each ($10 per beer), and the girls split a piece of cheesecake ($12, they did say that this was fantastic) With tax and tip the bill came to over $220. We were literally the only people in the restaurant, and I can see why. On the flip side, the "free" breakfast was fantastic. The room service/minibar prices were just as outrageous $4 for a small bottle of water etc. Believe me, I am not cheap, but these prices are higher than the hotel food prices at Atlantis in the Bahamas, Bellagio in Vegas (we like to gamble obviously) and not nearly the quality. So just beware, that while the package may sound great, take the dinner voucher out of the equation, as all it really does is take the huge markup down and you end up paying the same as you would pay for a similar meal elsewhere.

Stayed February 2007
9 Thank cdinlondon
Rye, East Sussex
Reviewed February 26, 2007

Never having seen Niagara Falls, we did a fair amount of research to try to get the right hotel for our winter trip. The Sheraton wouldn't book us as it was too far ahead of time, so we chose the Marriott - very lucky we were too. We booked a deluxe fallsview room (for ourselves and our two kids) which according to the hotel website would be between the 5th and 8th floors. When we arrived we guessed we might have something special when we were checked in to a room on the 21st floor! The view bought tears to our eyes - it was truly fabulous. For a large part of our first day and night of our stay we just sat and watched the falls, the lights and the surrounding winter wonderland. The room wasn't bad either - clean and comfortable and large enough for the four of us. Although I wouldn't have wanted to pay the extortionate (presumably summer) rate posted on the back of the door for it. One comment about the fireplace: it's a shame that it does not give out any heat, and there is an annoying motor noise whilst it's on. Much better to open the window vent and just listen to the falls. Do not buy the snacks or drinks from the room - they are very expensive. As indeed is all of Niagara from what we saw, even in winter.
We bought the tour from the desk in the hotel lobby. It showed us around the area, and the kids enjoyed the butterfly conservatory and the aviary in Niagara. The tour, like everything else, was expensive - but what the heck we were on holiday!
Loved the hotel pool and hot tub - especially as we had it to ourselves. The view over the falls from the pool terrace adds to the experience.
Tip: It is well worth paying the fee for the hotel coutesy bus to get around the town. It goes to convenient places and is reliable.
Overall comment: This hotel is well worth checking out for a trip to Niagara. The view is very special. The city of Niagara is a bit of a tourist trap and suffers accordingly, but the falls provide quite a compensation!

• Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank LetsBoogie
South East Asia
Reviewed February 24, 2007

We usually want to enjoy Nature's wonders in the most memorable way. And indeed booking this hotel was one of the best decisions of our trip - considering the trouble and money of flying from NY to Buffalo and another hour coach to cross the Canadian border and return trip. Btw, going to the Falls in winter is not that bad. There's no crowd in the town centre and you do not have to squeeze space to take that perfect picture. You can practically have the best seats in the house. We booked a suite at the lower floor which cost less, but you can look forward to a free upgrade in this off season - which we got to the 22nd floor ! The view ? MARVELLOUS and truly exalted the majesty of the Falls. The inclusive buffet breakfast, chef's omelette, juices - fantastic. Take the complimentary bus of which your driver relies on your tips as appreciation, go to all major attractions. The omni theatre show was good; casino is par and even has bigger gaming floor than a lot of Vegas hotels; town 1 km away has number of fun attractions for kids and teenagers. We did not make use of our restaurant vouchers coz other reviews already said avoid it coz of (high) price, even with the vouchers. But don't worry - you won't go hungry with the many restaurants dotted round the hotel. And if you think winter's too cold? My 76-yr mother and I journeyed from tropical Singapore and we enjoyed the cool winds in our winter protection. One thing was they didn't have the Maid of Mist in winter; but it's ok. We enjoyed the Behind The Falls walk. You can feel the power of the waters right in your face too.

• Liked — Cleanliness and comfort
  • Disliked — Giving tips for a "serve your own buffet breakfast" restaurant;
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank cooldaddy2003007
New York
Reviewed February 19, 2007

My sister and I stayed here with our girls for two nights and loved it. The room was large and the bedding was luxurious. We paid extra to have a higher floor with a view of the falls and it was worth it. The pool was nice and the hotel booked us on a nice day trip to all the local attactions. The tour bus driver was very annoying, but all the sights were great. There were plenty of restaurants within walking distance. The casinos were close by too, but because we had kids with us, we did not go in. We loved Niagara Falls and the Marriott.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled with family
2 Thank nairb
monroeville pa
Reviewed February 3, 2007

Wow.....this place was simply awesome. Spent two nights on a package deal through the hotel and it was phenomenal. I have no complaints whatsoever and am already looking into booking again here. The location alone is unbeatable. I've heard complaints about the parking, and although it is steep at $20.00 per night, but in the dead of winter it is well worth not having to walk from the Casino just to save 40.00. If you're going, spend a little extra and let them take care of the parking. Only advice i would offer is bring your own snacks and beverages for in room. As with most hotels, everything has it's price and they were steep for the little goodies in the basket. A perfect stay and a perfect anniversary weekend.

• Liked — location and room
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank b2speedy