“Nice hotel but the extra costs are crazy”

Niagara Falls Marriott Fallsview Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 20, 2007

We just returned from a weekend in Niagara Falls, which we do on a fairly regular basis. Stayed at the Marriot for the first time. The hotel staff were very friendly and the room was large and comfortable. We booked a room with whirlpool and fireplace. Don't bother with the extra $$ for the fireplace. It's one of those cheap electric ones that reminded us of the 1960's. The view was spectacular and the room rate was reasonable.
However, the extra charges are everywhere and very expensive. Examples are $20 for parking, room service charges are criminal. In room bar rates are double the norm.
Also, don't get fooled by the "skywalk" to the casiino. It's outside, and is quite far. We took our car and parked at the casino for free as we had a players car. The Hilton and the Renassance is much closer and you can walk inside to get to the casino.

7  Thank travelholicToronto

Reviewed January 19, 2007

I read about 10 pages of reviews before going on our 1 night package from TravelZoo. I was expecting to be disappointed, especially considering we got a $99 deal that included over $130 in food vouchers. We upgraded at the time of reservation to a King Jacuzzi for just $15 more. That was excellent. The tub was huge, clean and the water was hot. The entire room housekeeping was flawless.
The view from the room was indeed wonderful. We were in 902.
It was a long walk from the elevators, and on return I would ask for a room closer to them, only due to my difficulty walking.

Now the basket of goodies - was only if you were desperate or in a position where money is no object, but no one twists your arm to partake. Prices were also included for the shoeshine machine and the paintings and photographs on the walls! We simply brought a small bag of snacks, bottled water and our own wine. It was good to have been forwarned. The water was indeed $11 CDN for a big bottle. The in-room coffee was $5.99 for Starbucks. Seems that should have been in the basket to make it clear. But there was "Nabob" coffee at no charge. We didn't bother.

Parking - The attendant politely asked if we were parking with them. He returned our keys which he did ask to hold while we were checking in. There was not a hint of unfriendliness, when we declined and said we would be parking at the Casino. We were there during a cold January storm and the walk to the Casino was not pleasant or short for someone with breathing difficulties. I would pay the $20 valet if I did it again or at least plan use of the shuutle schedule.

We used the pool for a brief swim and hot tub. It too was well maintained and a pleasure.

The restaurant. Yes the prices were incredible, but we found the service to be impeccable - a young man waiter for dinner, didn't catch his name. We chose seperate appetizers and shared an entree. The split potion was very generous and well prepared. (We chose the "Pasta Pescatore") The taxes do bite, but the voucher was enough except for tax and tip. ($25 for both)
Breakfast was delightful. Lots of fresh fruit, baked goods and a delicious omelette prepared by Chris. Barb was our very attentive waitress. There were no extras except for tip. I doubt I would have dined here without a voucher. Breakfast buffet price was nominally over $56 for two including tax.
Overall. we got a hard to beat mid-winter discounted deal, and everything was far better than expected.

Stayed: January 2007
4  Thank nysq1
Reviewed January 18, 2007

We stayed at the Mariott in mid--September for 4 nights.

This had to be the best part of our trip. Nothing can beat the view!

We arrived around 1pm and check in was quick and easy. We were in room 1919 which was close to the elevator and ice machine, but we heard none of those noises.

We booked a Jr Presidental Suite. We really enjoyed our room, especially the little 'living room' with the huge windows overlooking the falls. We actually rearranged the room so the couch was right in front of the window. At night we did light up the 'fake' fireplace and turned off all the other lights and sat and stared at the falls all lite up.

The bed was wonderfully comfortable. The bathroom was nice and big and we enjoyed the windows that opened into the bedroom. Yes, you cannot see the falls, just the wall and doors into the living room, but it make the room seem bigger and was nice to chat with my husband while we were in different rooms.

We were able to getting wirless internet free which we used often. Since we were right along the USA border, we could use our cell phones and not be charged for international roaming since we were using an USA tower. There is a safe in the room which we used to keep our computer and passports safe.

We visited the pool and two whirlpools. Both times we went down there there were only a couple other people down there and we could enjoy the time relaxing. The laundry room is right next door to the pool so we we just enjoyed our time at the pool while tending to our laundry at the same time.

We did have a lightbulb start to blink off and on in the bathroom. We called and the service man arrived within 15 minutes and was able to fix it fast. He was very friendly and apologetic for this minor problem.

Our last night at the Falls we wanted to go out for a nice meal. Long story short (many restaurants close at 10pm on Sunday and the one at the Embassy Suites was rude and bad service), we ended up at the Terrapin Grill. Yes, the prices are unbelieveably expensive. (over $150 for two of us) But our food was good and service fast. We had a wonderful window corner seat to enjoy the lite-up falls.

We paid for the Valet parking which we felt was worth it. It was so nice to pull up to the hotel and just leave our car with them. They were polite and helpful and often offered directions if needed.

The walk is quick to the Incline to go down to the Falls. But it was so great to come back from a long day of people and kids crying and more people, and just retreat to our room and enjoy the falls there. Seriously, this was our favorite part of our trip. Even thought they do suck out every cent they can from you,it was well worth the hundreds of dollars we forked out for this great hotel.

Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank rainbwblu
Reviewed January 9, 2007

We stayed at the Marriott Fallsview Jan 5-6 2007. This hotel is all about the fantastic view. Unfortunately, the hotel tries to squeeze as much money as they can out of you.
When I checked in I was offered an upgrade to a jacuzzi room
with a King Bed for an extra $50.00 per night with a better view.
I declined and then was given the same upgrade, one floor lower for no charge.
As other reviews indicated, all of the snacks/drinks in the room were ridiculoulsy priced, not unlike other high end hotels though.
We had the 2 night package with 2 breakfasts and a dinner.
The restaurant was very busy at breakfasr - 1/2 hour wait for a table one day.
Our dinners were just average, and no where near the quality of what you'd expect for the price. The $75.00 voucher didn't come close to putting the food quality in line with the cost. We could overhear others complaining about their bills. One young couple looked close to tears. Maybe it was just our Canadian taxes!

4  Thank Ray200
Reviewed January 9, 2007

Stayed at the Marriott Fallsview on Dec 15 and 16 with my daughter and my elderly parents. After I booked this reservation, I contacted the Concierge to inquire about parking. I was told that the hotel had both self parking and valet parking at a rate of $20.00 per night. When we pulled up in front of the hotel, I asked the Valet attendant where is the entrance to the self park. He pointed to a crane that was about a mile away. I first thought he was joking, but realized that he was not. He kept insisting that I should use the Valet service. As another poster mentioned, we found the valet attendants were very friendly when we first arrived, but when they find out you are not using their services, their attitude changes. I originally booked a Riverview room a month in advance and requested connecting rooms on a higher floor. We arrived around 4:30 pm with no lines at check in. The front desk clerk informed me that she did not have two rooms with two queen beds on the same floor but she can give me one room on the 5th floor and the other on the 18th floor. I told her that was not acceptable to me and that I wanted my parents to be on the same floor. She kept insisting that nothing else was available and that room types are not guaranteed. Check in took so long that my father had to come to the desk to inquire why it was taking so long. Just at that time, a manger walking behind her inquire what the problem was and she suddenly announced to me that she didn’t see that our rooms had already been assigned. When we arrive at our room, I found out that we were placed on the lowest floor, the 5th floor and we had a lovely view of the stone gravel roof.

Rather than use the valet parking, I decided to take the advice of other posters and got a players card from the Fallsview Casino. It was very easy, park at the Casino first, then go to the PAC (Players Advance Card) booth just to the left when you enter the Casino and pick up your card and you can park for free. You just need to show the card when you exit the parking garage. I found it to be a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

Dinner at Terrapin grill was overpriced, bland with extremely slow service. Waitress was unfriendly and did not introduce herself, she took our order, ½ hour later she informed us that the chicken entree my daughter ordered will be ready soon. My father and I were given wrong entrees a ‘well done’ prime rib instead of medium and my mother’s sea bass was undercooked.
We found the service at breakfast to be refreshing, everyone was extremely friendly and helpful but found the breakfast buffet to be overpriced at $24.00 per person.

After my stay, I contacted the hotel manager and left a message for him to return my call. He has not bothered to return my call. I would not stay here again and certainly cannot recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
9  Thank longmil
Reviewed January 8, 2007

We stayed at the Falls View for one night as part of our honeymoon. Our bedroom was perfect - roomy, a large comfy bed and the most spectacular clear and uninterrupted view of the Falls. The restaurant was over priced and the food average, so beware the flowry descrptions in the menu. Reception staff & concierge were polite, but the barman (at half an hour before drinking up time) was unbelievably rude and unwelcoming.

Our recommendation - do try this hotel; you will not find a better view of the Falls. But eat and drink elsewhere - you'll have plenty of choice in Niagara Falls.

2  Thank Graywright
Reviewed December 30, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott for a romantic weekend getaway and we enjoyed every minute of it. The room was large and the view of the falls was simply amazing. I loved the down comforter and soft pillows.

The only complaint was the long wait for the elevators, there was always a large crowd waiting for the elevators. Also, After the $20 parking fee and all of the Canadian taxes, the hotel rate can be kind of pricey.

Overall, the hotel experience was very pleasant. I would recommend checking into the price difference between staying on different floors of this hotel. Staying on one floor lower, can be a significant savings of over $100 for the same view of the falls.

3  Thank NewYorkNadia