“Fabulous Views” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Scotland, Uk
“Fabulous Views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2004

We stayed at the Marriott with my parents in a Fallsview room with separate living room/sofa bed. The view was absolutely stunning, cannot fault it at all. The pool area was really nice, the pool was a bit chilly but the jacuzzis were brilliant.

The valet staff were really pleasant as well. Overall a lovely hotel to stay at. Would thoroughly recommend it.

3 Thank SandyScotland_UK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,202)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2004

Exceptional hotel. I spent Thanksgiving Eve at the hotel in a family suite and thought it was wonderful. The suite was lovely with a fabulous view of both falls. The staff was courteous and very friendly, from the front desk to the valet, to the porter. Yes, I agree that $20 is ridiculous for parking, but I was aware it was going to happen due to trip advisor - supply vs. demand - all the parking fees in Niagara Falls are ridiculous and there isn't that much parking there. Having read all about the awful restaurants there, I asked our porter if he could recommend anything. He suggested The Keg which was next door at the Embassy Suites. We had a fabulous meal - again with a faulous view of the Falls. It's moderately expensive - a steak house with prices around the $25-$35 range, but everyone in our party had a delicious meal with wonderful service.

4 Thank cherylstar
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2004

First of all this hotel is very attractive, we had a beautiful room and the lobby and facilities were top notch. Having said that we would never stay there again.
This place should be called rip off city. Where do i start-$14 for a bottle of water in your room, $24 pp for breakfast, dinner in the Terrapin Restaurant will certainly give you sticker shock-if you get out of that establishment for under $200 for 2 you are doing extremely well. We had a $75 coupon but that was a joke. How about the $20 per day parking, plus tips. It goes on and on.
All of this happened in November 2004 when the hotel was mostly empty and they should be trying to attract people. I suspect their repeat business is quite low.
I advised the hotel manager via email that the gouging was excessive, way over the top, but so far he hasnt responded. I'm sure nothing will change-they love their money too much.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2004

My girlfriend and I stayed at this Marriott in mid-November as part of a two-day package. We had a king/fallsview/jacuzzi room that included 4 buffet breakfasts (2 per day x 2 days), a $75 voucher for dinner, and unlimited use of the hotel's shuttle bus (to destinations in the immediate area including the Falls, Clifton Hill, and the 2 casinos). We paid $259 for this package.

From the moment we arrived, this hotel far exceeded anything you could expect for the price we paid. The hotel is minutes away from Niagara Falls' newest casino, a 10 minute walk from the Falls, and perhaps a 10-15 minute walk from Clifton Hill (Niagara's "touristy" area). The hotel itself is large, new, and tastefully decorated. The room we had matched precisely what we had seen on the hotel's website, but the view of the Falls from the room could not be believed until seen in person. When you enter the room and look out the window, you have the impression that the room must be perched virtually over the Falls. If any of you have ever seen an IMAX movie of the Falls, all I can say is that the view from the room makes you feel like you are sitting in the front row seat of such a movie. It is incredible. The room itself is gorgeous...amazingly decorated, wonderful amenities (pillowtop mattress, ample lighting, plenty of seating), and utterly spotless. The washroom was the "icing on the cake" with its 2-person jacuzzi, separate toilet/shower, and, again, spotlessly clean amenities.

As mentioned above, our package included meals at the Marriott's restaurant. Again, we experienced a great view, nice decor, and *exceptional* service. The serving staff that we dealt with (3 people in total) gave us the impression that they would do anything at all to make our stay enjoyable. If any of you visit this hotel and have the opportunity to have "Gary" as your waiter, you will see exactly what I mean.

The breakfast buffet was wonderful. Cook to order omelettes, waffles, muffins, croissants, the list goes on and on. The fresh fruit we had was amazing considering that this was a buffet (usually I find fruit at buffets to be mushy) and the omelettes were great.

If there was one fault with anything we encountered at the Marriott Fallsview, it would be the dinner. The food/service itself could not be faulted; both were excellent. However, the prices were just outrageous. Now, keep in mind that we had a $75 voucher for dinner, but the Marriott obviously knows that most diners must have this voucher, and for that reason, they surely inflate their prices. My girlfriend had cannelloni that did not include a salad or any type of side-serving and it was $36. I have veal (including a side-serving of pasts) that was $43. Our (alcoholic) drinks were $11.25 each, and our cheesecake was $13. Don't get me wrong-the food that we had was amazing, but we knew that the prices had been inflated because of the voucher. If we went again, it would be very likely that we would skip the dinner altogether at the restaurant.

The only other complaint we had was the parking fee of $20 per night. Yes, it includes valet service, but it still seemed steep to us (maybe we're just cheap!). However, I can assure you that the two complaints above are negligible compared to all the wonderful aspects that we encountered. When one sees the amenities and the views, and experiences the service that we did, you'll see what a bargain this hotel represents. It would be *very* hard to leave this hotel feeling disappointed. We just loved it and will recommend it every chance we get.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pennellville, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2004

Yes, the view is great and the service is very friendly. But for the price I think you get gouged just a bit. My wife and I and 6 year old stayed at the Fallsview on Nov.13 and 14. I paid 619.00 Canadian for a Jr.Presidential Suite. This included breakfast for two mornings and a 75.00 voucher for dinner at the Terrapin Grille located in the hotel.We stayed in room 1719. The hotel advertises the suite as coming with a fireplace. Perhaps I am a bit naive,but I really think that a fire place should burn something besides electricity.It was only an electric optical illusion in a cabinet.
I was aware of the parking fee(because I read these reviews on trip advisor) so I wasn't shocked by the 20.00 per day parking fee. With the two night package the shuttle service is provided and definately worth it. I think you actually save money by using the shuttle and avoiding paying other parking fees.(And if you need your car they have it for you in ten minutes.No extra in/out charges.)
The restaurant is highly recommended but over rated and EXPENSIVE! Even with the 75.00 voucher it cost me another 100.00 to eat there. The food was very good(for Canadian food) but not spectacular.It would be a challenge for two people to eat for 75.00 especially with all those darn taxes.
The pool is nice as are the two hot tubs.The sauna was relaxing but the steamroom was out of order.If I was to do it again I'd save my money and get a cheaper room somewhere else and splurge on a limo.I think many of the previous reviewers were taken in by the romance of the place.Their libidoes influenced their reviews.

• Stayed January 2005
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank verybigv
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2004

we stayed at the marriott fallsview in september,i cant begin to desribe the view from our room,truly breathtaking,i cant believe there is a better hotel room view in the world,we spent hours sitting by the large window staring at this wonder of the world.the hotel is excellent,just what you expect from marriott,we had the massage for two in the spa....wonderful.
if your going to niagara...stay here!!

• Stayed September 2004
3 Thank pinkits
St Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2004

First, Thanks to all of the people that have taken the time to review this hotel on this site. I read a lot of these reviews and used bits and pieces (you have to read between the lines sometimes) to have a terrific weekend!

My wife and I stayed at the Marriott Fallsview booking the 2 night package on Nov. 11th & 12th. We stayed in the Deluxe Fireplace/Whirlpool Room and received the 2 free breakfast vouchers, $75 dinner voucher (which you can definitely use for room service if you want), and free shuttle pass for the stay. I booked the package from the hotel web site and went in armed with the information from this site. Here are the big items to be aware of:

1. Make a copy of the web page that you book from (showing the rate being advertised - including the US cost & the CA cost). The hotel sometimes advertises an extra large exchange rate (built into the web price). They will not offer that same rate when you check out unless you call them on it. I had the printout and they were more then happy to honor it once I mentioned it. This saved me about $100 for the time of year I visited!

2. You can either have your car valet parked ($20/day Canadian), or park in a nearby lot for less. In November, there are quite a few places you could park for less - probably not during the summer. However, since you have the shuttle, you really don't need your car unless you want to leave the immediate area. We did that kind of sight seeing after getting our car on the day we checked out. But just don't forget that the parking will be on your bill at checkout.

3. At check-in, we were given a room on the 18th floor even though the web site only guarantees a room on the 8 - 16th floors. So I can't comment on the scam that others have mentioned in other posts. They say that you may be offered a high floor room but upcharged for this benefit. So be wary.

4. The breakfast buffet (free with the vouchers) was very nice and had a pretty good choice of breakfast items (including made to order omelets). It was certainly nice enough by my standards. You just turn in your voucher to the seating waitress, get seated, eat, leave a tip, and you are done. And, the buffet is open until 11:30 AM which is fantastic if you had a late night and are slow getting started!

5. We never got around to using our $75 dinner voucher, but asked at check-in about using it for room service and were told that we could most definitely use it for that. The prices on the room service menu are definitely ridiculous (as they are almost everywhere in Niagara Falls), but it's still pretty nice to know you could order up a liitle something if you need to.

6. The shuttle takes you all around the the immediate area, but you can pretty much walk most anywhere from this hotel. You can get right down to the Falls within 10 minutes using the Incline Railway ($1.50 a ticket), or you can walk about 5 more minutes around the block and avoid the Incline if you wish.

7. Save your hotel bill and any gift receipts that individually total $50 in US currency. You can turn these into the duty free shop that is right before the bridge going back into the US. You will get 1/2 of the GST tax on your hotel bill back (only 1/2 because it's a package deal and that's all the Canadian gov't will refund), and all of the GST on the gift purchases. Unfortunately, each of the gift receipts must be over the $50 US amount for it to count (we had a $49.91 receipt and it was not eligible - oh well), so be aware.

8. For what it's worth: The people we ran into at all of the gift shops, hotel, tourist events, etc were extremely nice and friendly.

We had a wonderful couple of days in Niagara Falls and absolutely LOVED our room at the Marriott Fallsview. From looking out of our window, I can't imagine having a better view ANYWHERE else! Niagara Falls is definitely an area where you could be unpleasantly surprised by the high prices though, so I hope this information helps you avoid those kinds of surprises. The information I got from this site definitely helped me.

18 Thank nosemuff