After having been a loyal annual visitor to this hotel for 10+ years, I will not return after my most recent stay for 3 nights during the Victoria Day weekend.
As others have described so graphically, the decor is terribly dated and the rooms smelly, but we have lived with it as we don't wish to be fussy, and the staff have generally been nice. But over time, the Best Western Fallsview just gets older and worse looking, while the prices continue to rise. Beware from misleading photos that renovations have occurred only in the restaurant and lobby, while the rooms, hallways, ice machines, coffee makers and air conditioners remain old and are not working very well anymore. There are still no fridges in the rooms. The swimming pool is very cold and lacks proper showers, while the 2 tiny elevators (not enough for this size of a building) are like time machines to 1960.
But what troubled me the most from our latest visit was a small matter of hospitality: the manager insisted on charging me the Destination Marketing Fee, which is fraudulently presented as a tax, but for which there is actually no legal authority. (Just Google it to find out about this city-wide scam, in which not all establishments participate, and which will surely one day attract a class-action suit by some enterprising young attorney.) On all previous visits, the staff would gladly waive the fee at my request, but not during our last visit; it amounted to about $15 on the overall bill, and they just had to take it from me, even knowing that I was a long-time customer and would not return if I was forced to pay the marketing fee.
So they have that additional $15 from me. But I doubt the Best Western Fallsview will so easily replace my family with some other loyal, non-smoking, easy-going customers who will return year after year (sometimes with visiting relatives who require an additional room) who will tip their restaurant and housekeeping staff as generously as we always did. I understand that the hotel is now very friendly toward dogs and other pets, and that's good, because they are well on their way to running a kennel, not a hotel.
It's too bad, because we have some good memories of our trips to Best Western Fallsview over the years, but I know things change, and at least now we will feel free to check out some of the hundreds of other hotels in the area (fortunately there is lots of choice).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of the Fallsview Entertainment District, a 5 minute stroll to Queen Victoria Park, one block to the Falls and its attractions, the Best Western Fallsview, Niagaras only truly pet friendly hotel offers you proximity with value for your entire family. The full service, 248 room, 100% non-smoking hotel is 5 blocks to Clifton Hill attractions, 2 km to Marineland and across from the Imax Theatre, Skylon Tower and the Fallsview Casino. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Best Western, Travelocity, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Best Western Fallsview reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Fallsview Hotel Niagara Falls
- Best Western Hotel Fallsview
- Best Western Fallsview Niagara Falls
- Best Western Niagara Falls
- Niagara Falls Best Western