“Has gotten much worse and we will not return”

Best Western Fallsview
Ranked #44 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed May 26, 2010

After having been a loyal annual visitor to this hotel for 10+ years, I will not return after my most recent stay for 3 nights during the Victoria Day weekend.

As others have described so graphically, the decor is terribly dated and the rooms smelly, but we have lived with it as we don't wish to be fussy, and the staff have generally been nice. But over time, the Best Western Fallsview just gets older and worse looking, while the prices continue to rise. Beware from misleading photos that renovations have occurred only in the restaurant and lobby, while the rooms, hallways, ice machines, coffee makers and air conditioners remain old and are not working very well anymore. There are still no fridges in the rooms. The swimming pool is very cold and lacks proper showers, while the 2 tiny elevators (not enough for this size of a building) are like time machines to 1960.

But what troubled me the most from our latest visit was a small matter of hospitality: the manager insisted on charging me the Destination Marketing Fee, which is fraudulently presented as a tax, but for which there is actually no legal authority. (Just Google it to find out about this city-wide scam, in which not all establishments participate, and which will surely one day attract a class-action suit by some enterprising young attorney.) On all previous visits, the staff would gladly waive the fee at my request, but not during our last visit; it amounted to about $15 on the overall bill, and they just had to take it from me, even knowing that I was a long-time customer and would not return if I was forced to pay the marketing fee.

So they have that additional $15 from me. But I doubt the Best Western Fallsview will so easily replace my family with some other loyal, non-smoking, easy-going customers who will return year after year (sometimes with visiting relatives who require an additional room) who will tip their restaurant and housekeeping staff as generously as we always did. I understand that the hotel is now very friendly toward dogs and other pets, and that's good, because they are well on their way to running a kennel, not a hotel.

It's too bad, because we have some good memories of our trips to Best Western Fallsview over the years, but I know things change, and at least now we will feel free to check out some of the hundreds of other hotels in the area (fortunately there is lots of choice).

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Easy-traveller65
Write a ReviewReviews (2,396)

Reviewed May 20, 2010

The rooms at this hotel where pretty big. They are very dated. The hallway walls are covered in carpet that is stained and dirty. The balcony was nice to have but we where told it is illegal to smoke on them. The rooms definitely need to be modernized.

The staff was pretty rude. For the price we paid we could have stayed at a motel or a non-national chain for half the price and got the same thing.

I would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2010

We've been on a road trip with our dog for over 20 days and have not stayed anywhere as dog friendlly as this place. The charge a $25 dog fee (not unusual) but with it they give the dog a wonderful bag of treats and offer free kenneling services.
Our room was very spacious and quite clean. We were on the ground level and our room went through from a door on an inner corridor to sliding doors to a patio next to the parking lot. While that wasn't the most scenic place to have a patio, we loved that we could pull right up with the car and unload all the junk we have for a 51/2 week journey.
The only sight negative about the room is that there was no desk although there was plenty of room for one.
The staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. In our short stay they helped us with the dog, secured a cab for us and helped with restaurant suggestions.
The location is ideal--just a short walk to the falls.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sgbslo
Reviewed April 5, 2010

Our experience with this hotel was just okay. Upon arrival, I was quite surprised to learn that we had to pay $10 for parking. This was never mentioned to us before so I assumed it was included in the price. Our room was in a bit of a time warp. The entire decor seemed to come from 1975! We only stayed for one night. The next morning, on our way to checking out at the front desk, we were trying our best with our bags, They were quite large suitcases and we were trying to drag them down the steps that lead to reception. There were two people behind the reception desk, one man and a woman. They proceeded to just watch us struggle with our bags (we're two girls) and didn't offer to help even once. I don't think I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Reviewed March 21, 2010

I can not express how much we liked the staff. We have stayed in alot of hotels, but we have never been treated so well. One of the main reasons we decided to stay here was their pet stay policy. We didn't feel it was fair to put our 10 month old lab in a kennel or have him stay with friends. He is one those labs that has alot of good days and some very bad days (shredding mail etc.) The staff took fantastic care of him and made vacationing with a dog very easy. Our dog seemed to take a liking to the staff right away.

The hotel resturant was nice, very good food and decent value. I am pretty sure they served me the best omelette I have ever had. The indoor pool area has a hot tub and is very clean. This an older Hotel, but it has received a face lift to the lobby and resturant areas.

Next is why I state the hotel is not perfect. We stayed in a jacuzzi room with a queen bed. The room is very large and clean. I think it was bigger than my first apartment and definitly cleaner. So what was the problem? I walked into the room and felt like I walked into 1988. I was disappointed with the room. Perhaps, the gave us a room that was not updated because we had a dog with us. The bed was very comfortable and we both got two very good night's sleep,

This hotel is a good as it gets for travelling with pets, wonderful staff, and It has a very good resturant. The only reason I do not give it full marks is the retro 80's room decor. Had the rooms been more up todate, I would feel I truly got good value for my money.

Reviewed March 19, 2010

Went to this hotel (because of pet friendly) after seeing how crappy our originally booked HOJO by the falls hotel was. We were extrememly happy with their service, and rooms. Amazing location! Clean rooms and updated. The outside chairs looked a little tacky, but inside ws much nicer! Will definately be back! Great price and location!!!! THANK YOU BEST WESTERN. the only downfall that I didn't like was the fact that when we were in a panic calling all hotels for a room (since our first booked hotel was a dive!) we called the first Bestwestern in the phone book and they told us that they didn't have any pet friendly hotels in the area. Then I called the 1800 number and they found this one. So it would be nice to have better informed staff, because if I didn't try the 2nd number they wouldn't have gotten our business. Staff at hotel AMAZING

Reviewed March 1, 2010

We stayed for just one night at this hotel on our way to Ohio and really enjoyed our stay. Our room was not ready when first got there but the staff allowed us to park the car anyway so we could go for a quick walk around. Our room was clean and big, although the decor was a bit older than what I had seen on the hotel's web site. I think we ended up in an older section of the hotel.
The hotel is very well situated and we did not have to take our car out to visit the main attractions of Niagara Falls, namely the Falls...

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family