“Unique, Delicious, Reminded me of my childhood all grown up!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Red Chateau
Ranked #137 of 549 Restaurants in Niagara Falls
Cuisines: French, German, European, Central European
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Hours - Open at 5:00 P.M. See Actual Menu Only in Our Website.
Lima, New York
“Unique, Delicious, Reminded me of my childhood all grown up!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

This restaurant is FANTASTIC! Last year for my birthday my boyfriend told me he had seen rave reviews for this little Eastern European restaurant in Niagara Falls. Being that I am of mostly Eastern European background I grew up around the kinds of food that were on the menu.

When we went searching for the restaurant we were surprised to see that it was a very small "hole-in-the-wall" kind of place. We went inside and we were greeted by the owner who does everything herself.

We were all alone in the inner most room, while one other couple enjoyed their meal in the other room. It was incredibly intimate and perfect for a romantic dinner out (especially for people like us who enjoy history, culture and things outside the "norm")

I got the rabbit dish and my boyfriend got a beef stroganoff dish. I had never had rabbit cooked so perfectly in my life! My boyfriend's stroganoff was also superb. We bantered back and forth with the owner for awhile. My boyfriend (a Russian history major) inquired about a painting she had hanging. She said that if he could figure out who it was she would appreciate it.

Long story short: We will be coming back the next time we need/want an intimate evening with great food and great service!

Recommendation: Don't come with large parties, call ahead for a reservation so she's prepared for you! :-)

• Visited August 2011
5 Thank Katie H

Los Angeles
“Go Back!!! It's a trap!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

Do NOT go to this restaurant! It was a creepy, weird experience. It was the most expensive dinner of our trip and very poor quality food and such a odd experience. I hope to save you time and money.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank BeeBeeLosAngeles
Los Angeles, California
“Such a disappointment!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

We were looking forward to dinner here given its billing as fresh, home-cooked food with a Czech flavor. The house it is in is darling, although not in a great neighborhood, but then there is an odd display case in the front room. Perhaps our group of 8 overwhelmed the owner, who does it all herself (serving, cooking, etc.) The service was not good. The food came out at all different times. The biggest disappointment was the food. Not good. The cheese triangles were gummy and bland, even the strudel was soggy, not crisp. And I can't believe she served the goulash. She apologized that she used the wrong paprika, and this dish was so spicy it was inedible--even for those of our group who like spicy food. My mom had requested this dish "mild". The owner was quite put out when we sent it back. The rest of our meals were mediocre and the presentation was tired--nothing beautiful or fresh about the dinners. The best part was the home-made rye bread, which was delicious, but it is surprising at a fine restaurant when you are charged $2.50 a slice for bread--even home-made bread. Also, the restaurant was VERY expensive. We went out to much nicer dinners for less. Not a good value, but even at a lower price the dinner was simply not good.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank cookpias
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Fabulous food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

Wonderful Central European restaurant, and don't let the exterior fool you. Everything is homemade -- the meat is smoked on premises, the herbs and many vegetables are grown in the garden, the pickles, sauces, and bread are all homemade,as are desserts (including the ice cream), . . . . We had pickles, a salad, smoked meat, beef stroganoff, chocolate torte and apple struedel. It was delicious, particulalry the smoked pork (no nitrites). Jarmilla is the consumate hostess, and I am so glad we found this place given our limited time in the Niagara region. We'd come back in a heartbeat. Some may consider it pricy, but to a foodie it's well worth the trip.

• Visited June 2012
3 Thank Lisa1102
Boston, Massachusetts
“Best Birthday Experience Ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

We were in the Niagara Falls area for my Birthday and going to Red Chateau to celebrate my dinner was the best idea ever! Red Chateau is nestled in a residential area away from all the tourists and sightseeing craze. It is perfect for a private dinner for two and has the perfect ambience.

We had not made any reservations however it is advised that you do make one. The hostess/server/chef (all in one!) was extremely accommodating even though we has just called 30 minutes earlier to let her know that we are on our way. The property was built in 1850 with the main floor being the restaurant (dining and a small bar). I was amazed with all the history that was passed down to us by the hostess. She was wonderful.

The iced wine, 2 chicken entree dishes and the torte for dessert (with a scoop of ice cream and 2 little strawberries from her garden) made my night to remember. It was such a private setting that I thought I was having a home cooked meal.

I highly recommend the Red Chateau and will definitely visit again in the future.

• Visited May 2012