“Very good, because of my room”

Crowne Plaza Niagara Falls - Fallsview
Ranked #36 of 128 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed at the Plaza in August of 2009 (the review drop-down didn't give a choice for 2009) for a convention. I was nervous as the feedback from people who had already checked in reported tiny, tiny rooms. When I arrived at 3:30pm, my room wasn't ready. It still wasn't ready at 6:30pm. Good thing I had events to attend, though I would have liked to freshen up or at least change. The lobby has an impressive staircase and an old, rich look and feel to it.
Returning after 10pm, the room was ready. The front desk informed me that I had received a room upgrade as compensation for such a long wait to have a room ready. Nice service.
As I opened the door to my room, I held my breath, wondering how I was going to fit 3 or 4 more people. Imagine my suprise to discover a 2-bedroom suite with dining table, living room and kitchenette!
If it was a mistake, I wasn't about to seek to correct it. I was paying a convention/group room rate, so I wasn't charged extra.

Here are the "goods":
My particular suite was outstanding, save for the tiny, tiny bathroom that required a yoga instructor to get in AND shut the door. The food that was served was very good, though if you were one of the last tables, it was a bit cold.
The rooms with the view of the falls DO have a spectacular view.
The hotel has access to the indoor waterpark, has underground parking, is close to absolutely everything and has that old, luxurious feel to it.
The beds were super-comfy, the pillows fresh and fluffy and the room was immaculate. The entire hotel was spotless.
The internet was fast, the staff very courteous and the convention facilities were lovely.

The "Not-so-goods":
You pay extra for absolutely everything - parking, internet, waterpark, tourism fees, etc..etc.. I have never understood the need to charge extra for parking. Either include it in the room rate, or don't charge for it at all. If you're within walking distance from your home, chances are you don't need to stay at a hotel. Therefore, 99.9% of guests probably got there via a vehicle of some sort that requires a parking spot.
The Plaza Maze - to get to the parking lot, the waterpark or even some upper floors of the hotel, you can count on travelling at least two different elevators. This is crazy confusing and very poor planning. It's pretty bad when you have to stop and ask for directions within the hotel!
Rooms - while mine was huge, I did visit my friends' rooms and yes, they are very, very small. If you have more than 2 people in a room, pay the extra for a suite or room with a view that provides extra space.
Food - the on-site restaurants are quite expensive - you will get a much better deal at the Casino. I ended up with a meal charged to my room - I didn't eat there. Staff at least fixed the problem when I brought it to their attention, but it concerns me that room numbers weren't confirmed prior to that charge being directed to me.

Summary:
If you're 2 people or less, you don't need parking or internet and you want to have an old-luxury kind of hotel, the Plaza is for you. You will get excellent service, comfortable beds & pillows and you will be in the heart of the tourist area. Keep in mind you'll get a tiny room, be charged extra for everything and you'll be spending a lot of time switching elevators to get where you want to be.

Room Tip: Go for a suite or larger room if you have more than 2 people in a room. Watch out for parking, inter...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank crymsun
There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Niagara Falls - Fallsview

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Compared to other properties in Canada this old that I've stayed in (eg. most old Fairmont properties), this one's had a pretty decent facelift. It's definitely not a 4-5 star hotel overall, but considering her age, she's looking pretty good. Our room in particular was relatively cramped, and had an interesting washroom with about 4 inches between the toilet and a wall, but other than that, it was comfortable enough.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We got in late to the hotel. We decided to stay here before the Niagara International Marathon. I paid the extra for the falls view room which was very nice. It is an older hotel but kept up very nicely. The front foyer is beautiful. We are priority club member so it was very nice that they gave us an upgrade to a higher room with a great view and a bottle of local wine which was wonderful. The hotel is in a great area with a lot to do and not very far from the marathon finish. It was also the pick up point for the shuttle bus to the start of the race. The only reason I gave it 4 stars is that it was a little expensive. Also to park in the garage, it cost $19 where there are other parking spots where you can park all day for $5.

Room Tip: Personally, it you don't get to the falls often, I would get a falls view room. You can open t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

I am a huge fan of Crowne Plazas everywhere. As a platinum priority club member, I used a reward night. Usually, don't get the best rooms with rewards but this was the exception. Balcony with falls view, a bottle of wine and first class rooms are part of this old hotel. Walked right out front door and over the bridge to American side and then walked back for dinner on the Canadian side. Parking was covered and not too expensive. I hate casinos. I think there was one attached to hotel but I wasn't bother by that mess at all. Perfect stay to what I thought was going to be an over commercialized nightmare.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We did not book this hotel directly. We booked through Hotwire for Niagara Falls. Our friends had previously made the same booking and received the Shereton. We got the Crowne Plaza next door.

Though our booking did not give us a room with a view of Niagara Falls the hotel did upgrade our room for free which was a nice bonus. We got got free wifi since I'm a member of IHG (International Hotel Group which Crowne Plaza belongs to).

The room was lovely and had view of the falls from the bedside window. It wasn't a full view that you could see from the bed but we didn't mind since we also didn't pay $200 for the room which was the list price.

Everything was as expected - clean and comfortable space with all the amenities usually available for a hotel of this nature. My only complaint was for the toilet. I am hoping that it was just our particular room and it didn't bother us much because we were staying one night only.

The toilet was placed right in front of a retaining wall. I'm only 5"2 and could not sit down directly. I felt like I had to do a parallel park each time I used the toilet! ;o) My husband, being taller had more difficulty with it.

We could have complained but again we were arrived late afternoon and was leaving early the next morning. If we had been staying for longer we would have asked to change rooms.

The hotel is within the entertainment complex and was a short walk to Hard Rock Cafe, the parking garage, Sheraton and Starbucks. It was also on the same side as the Maid of the Mist ticketing office and around the corner from the main outdoor entertainment venues.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aussiechickie
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My family stayed here for the Niagara international marathon and we were really pleased with this hotel. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite, lots of room for the 4 of us, and we all had a great night's sleep. The interior has the feel of an historic hotel, giving it character and interest. The staff were friendly and helpful when we needed an item delivered late at night, and it was a fully booked weekend of guests. The Starbucks is on property which was great for the early morning runners. Proximity to the downtown is great if that's where you want to be. It's approximately a 10 minute walk along the riverside to the main falls but we had a view from our room of both falls which was great.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed here this past weekend and it was one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. Is it old...yes! Which is certainly part of its charm. Crowne Plaza has done an amazing job with keeping the old charm of this historic hotel and make it modern and comfortable. The level of customer service was outstanding! From the front desk, to housekeeping, even the parking attendent as we left were all so very friendly and made you feel like a valued guest. Our housekeeper even made the cutest towel animals for our daughters. They loved it!

Oh and the view!! We were fortunate enough to have a fallsview room with a balcony! It was like having our own observation deck! Where else can you lie in bed and watch the falls change colors at night!

You are so close to the Falls and Clifton Hill. We parked the car and didn't have to use it again all weekend!!!

I would stay here again in a minute!! Well done!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on floors 11 or 12 if possible!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family