“Warm and relaxing”
Review of Chelsea restaurant

Chelsea restaurant
Ranked #78 of 1,665 Restaurants in Mississauga
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Warm and relaxing”
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

My first time in Toronto so I found Chelsea on trip advisor. Made my way to Port Credit and that quaint little house. The owner greeted me. He made me special blend of wine that suited my taste and meal selection. I started with potato leek soup that was great. Main course was the shrimp and crabmeat stuffed sole. It was excellent. An almost perfect dinner with a gracious host really was the highlight of my trip to Toronto. Look forward to returning.

4 Thank Texmoondog

Toronto
“So-So Food”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Based on reviews, I made a reservation for my husband, myself, and a friend that we were taking out as a thank you for helping us. It was our first time dining here. We had no trouble at all getting a last minute reservation on a Saturday night, and at any time we wanted. This was not a good first sign and I wondered if something about this supposedly popular place had changed--that perhaps it had changed hands. We arrived at dusk to find an uninspiring looking house with no welcoming outside lights, and the inside appeared to have no lights on either. My first impression upon seeing it was that it probably had no customers yet. However, upon going inside there were some customers seated in a pleasant small room to our right and there also appeared to be another dining room further on. I would say that the atmosphere was quite attractive. We were seated in this very nice and cosy room to our right. A Mr. Lee showed us our table by the window, and then also came to serve us, and right away I felt something was wrong as he served us in a very casual fashion as if he was absentmindedly serving his children, and not like he had had any training as a waiter-- or else that he had become bored to death with the job years ago. It just didn't seem to go with the place. I am not a stuffy person, and can enjoy many styles of service including pleasant casualness but Mr. Lee's service was a little distracted and didn't come across as very professional. But we began to interact with him a little and make a little joke here and there, and he did get into this a bit, as he muttered some little comment here and there as he walked off that seemed to show a bit of dry humour. We didn't really have a problem with his service, and were a bit amused. But the type of service just didn't fit at all with the look of the place. We were given menus but no wine list and I had to ask for it. Our absent minded waiter went to get it. Mr. Lee pointed out very briefly that the 4 or 5 choice wine list wasn't correct, in his off handed half-amused casual manner. We ordered a litre of wine which, when it came, was uninspired. As for the meal, we were first served water with a little lemon piece , which was appreciated, and also served some nice very moist whole wheat bread which was served with butter in those little commercial peel-away packets with advertising on them. A salad or vegetable lentil soup was offered with our dinner choice; I didn't like the sound of the soup. We all chose the salad, one garden, the others Caesar. Our friend like her dressing on her garden salad. I thought my Caesar salad was acceptable. It was fresh and I would say I enjoyed the taste well enough. It was not miniscule nor was it very large, nor was it special. But it was fine. But when dinner came, I was disappointed. It was not the size. Our protein choices were all a good size. As for my own meal, pork roast, I was expecting juicy slices, but what I got looked more like two large thick dry pork chops--not juicy at all. I'd say it was cooked with no expertise and it was over done. It had a sauce, and if it weren't for that, it would have been worse. The starch I had selected, roast potato, was a joke. It was two small pieces of potato, tossed in with the other mixed vegetables. My husband chose mashed and it was a little better portion size. The mixed selection of vegetables was fine, though somewhat odd, as I discovered half of one brussel sprout and one very small piece of beet along with the green beans and carrots. I asked for more potatoes for my friend and myself, and I was serious, as I thought this was ridiculous, but I was ignored. My husband said his choice, which was the same as our friend chose also, fish, was only 'okay' and he is not one to complain. Dessert came with our meal and I asked for half a slice of one cake and half of another, to taste both, and I was accommodated. Both were good. As we left, Mr. Lee, who was the only staff we saw all evening, called out that I could also get half of one meal, and half of another meal, some time if I wanted. It may have been a joke, I'm not sure. It was an odd evening. Like something from a comedy. None of this would have deterred us from returning, however, if only the meal had been better. The dryness and uninspired taste of the fish and my pork just can't be overlooked.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank MardipleuToronto
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Hidden Gem!”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We had a wonderful dinner at Chelsea Restaurant. My husband and I had the stuffed sole. It was excellent. Lovely presentation & fabulous friendly service. It is located just off the beaten path, in in a heritage home in Port Credit , Mississauga. It is exciting to find such an unexpected & unpretentious, yet elegant dining experience! & great craft beer. Highly recommended!.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank SharonM894
Toronto, Canada
“Chelsea Restaurant a fabulous restaurant in Port Credit”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

How incredible to go to a restaurant with no expectations and have
a wonderful meal,beautifully prepared in a cozy atmosphere.
Some reviewers have mentioned our host is very helpful and kind.
What they did not mention is that he is very, very funny.

Any request was granted with a smile. There were five of us and
two had grilled sole. Fabulous. The Crème Brule was a delight.

This is a restaurant we will visit often. Well done!

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Elaine155019
Toronto, Canada
“Cozy dining”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Delicious comfort food served by a charming host in a cozy and warm atmosphere. This restaurant is located in a historical building that you want to return to often.

2 Thank John B